Zeke as the 1?

Mr_437

Reaction score
Rico is the best RB on the roster imo, but I think Zeke is the starter. They say committee, but they have a hard time sitting Zeke in the past.

erod

Reaction score
Zeke is an excellent pass protector. The rest of them are not good. That's a huge part of playing running back in today's NFL.

Until that changes, I expect him to get a lot of playing time.

csirl

Reaction score
Zeke has a history of not being fully fit coming into a new season and needing some games to get up to speed?

Surely we need to work him a bit so he's ready for week 1?

blueblood70

Reaction score
NO team was clamoring for Zeke last year, although the Zeke fans were telling me here that 31 teans would sign Zeke when he was released....Only in Camp did New England call because of injuries to running backs that he got signed...I'm a fan of the team, not individual players and my assessment is based on my eyes watching players and I've watched him, he can't hit the holes anymore, he's lost a step when he didn't have a top gear when he arrived in the league.....He's ONLY on the team because JERRY(zeke fanboy) loves him, he's been a declining player for four years and come game one in Cleveland, Zeke will be the starter because thats how this franchise does things.....
How much more I gotta tell you this I don't care about your opinion we have differing opinions and you're not I'm not reading all that I'm not coming to your side and I don't care what you think of me or the front office or anything else Ditto how about that let's just sum it up as Ditto go get mad and go get a fantasy football team run your show how you wanna run it now how you think of front office who is owned by a businessman who at least knows how to do business in the sense that he's worth $14 billion and he's had the team since 1989 I think he knows a little bit more about you and has employees that know a lot more than you and I don't care who's claiming for who go away you are not a businessman you are not an owner you are not a GM!!

you are nothing to a lot of us in here but a guy with an opinion just like everyone else, and I have a differing opinion,

let's see how it works before we condemn it!!! BYE

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Absolutely, and I think hes going to be doing that quite a bit. I have to believe he is the primary 3rd down back, and even though I really like Guyton/Beebe rookies are going to get fooled every now and then. Maybe someone will step up and can take some of those snaps from Zeke, but I have to believe that was a huge part of the reason they brought him back.
Yes Zeke's toughness and football IQ have value which is absolutely a huge reason he was brought back. But anyone who was ever a real athlete can tell you that one is hardly "done" at age 29. You're just a different player than you were at 22. I think Zeke is no exception. He is bigger, stronger and smarter than he was 8 years ago. The loss of quickness will force him to play the game differently. It will not however stop him from being able to play the game well. If the line opens holes he will explode through them and punish whatever defender gets in his way. He won't try to house it every tote .. and he won't need to. He will be an effective move the chains and score in the red zone RB and that will put the Cowboys back among the best red zone offenses in the league again. People tried for three years to claim that if we just got rid of Zeke Pollard would become one of the top backs in the NFL. They saw him making big plays after defenses got tired of Zeke beating on them and got seduced. I don't fault them.. I know that's how things look to the uninitiated. I will say now what I said back then.. 60 yards on 15 carries on a steady diet of 3,4,5 yard runs beats 60 yards on 15 carries with a bunch of 0,1,and negative runs with one 30 yarder every third blue moon all day every day. The Cowboys found out last year that replacing what Zeke brought to the table was harder than what Pollard did. I know a lot of "fans" will whine because aren't getting to see enough 40 yard runs from Zeke.. Let 'em complain. They'll live. As long as the Cowboys keep winning I'll be more than okay with it.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Zeke has a history of not being fully fit coming into a new season and needing some games to get up to speed?

Surely we need to work him a bit so he's ready for week 1?
The operative word here being history. Zeke's last two seasons in Dallas he averaged nearly 5 yards per carry before he hurt his knee.

fivetwos

Reaction score
If they do actually use him as sparingly as some want to believe, he will probably be effective and valuable.

Much of how this goes will depend on how the team does earlier on.

If Elliott is playing well in a limited role, but the team isn’t winning, I fully expect him to demand more touches and go directly to Jerry if he isn’t accommodated.

I would have brought in a different vet back that isn’t such a figure in Dallas to play that role, but that’s Jerry for you. Part of him probably feels vindicated because Elliott is playing for him for cheap.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Remember when we let witten go and he came back to us ? They couldn’t have done the same with Demarcus ?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
If they do actually use him as sparingly as some want to believe, he will probably be effective and valuable.

Much of how this goes will depend on how the team does earlier on.

If Elliott is playing well in a limited role, but the team isn’t winning, I fully expect him to demand more touches and go directly to Jerry if he isn’t accommodated.

I would have brought in a different vet back that isn’t such a figure in Dallas to play that role, but that’s Jerry for you. Part of him probably feels vindicated because Elliott is playing for him for cheap.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
2.7 yards last five games last year...He's not worthy of a roster spot
You're entitled to your opinion. When you get your own team it will matter. You clearly didn't watch much of New England's game last year either. It was a minor miracle he gained any yards at all behind that abomination of a an offensive line and with the backing of such putrid quarterback play. With a completely nonexistent passing attack teams could just crowd the line and play everybody against the run. In four of those last 5 games you mentioned the average yards before contact were UNDER ONE YARD. Teams dared Zappe or Jones to beat them.. and for the most part that proved to be the correct strategy. It bothers you that Zeke is on this team.. It's really going to piss you off when he plays well. And I will be here to laugh at you about it. I promise.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Why is Zeke not playing in pre season? Are they really gonna just hand him the #1 RB spot? I don't think he brings anything the other RBs bring, besides possibly pass protection. Am I looking at this wrong?
Yes.

Zeke is RB1. 8)

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
You're entitled to your opinion. When you get your own team it will matter. You clearly didn't watch much of New England's game last year either. It was a minor miracle he gained any yards at all behind that abomination of a an offensive line and with the backing of such putrid quarterback play. With a completely nonexistent passing attack teams could just crowd the line and play everybody against the run. In four of those last 5 games you mentioned the average yards before contact were UNDER ONE YARD. Teams dared Zappe or Jones to beat them.. and for the most part that proved to be the correct strategy. It bothers you that Zeke is on this team.. It's really going to piss you off when he plays well. And I will be here to laugh at you about it. I promise.
Tell me then, why was Zeke CUT from the Cowboys and why weren't there other teams clamoring to sign him when he was a free agent????

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Tell me then, why was Zeke CUT from the Cowboys and why weren't there other teams clamoring to sign him when he was a free agent????
After you let us all in on how you know there were not other teams trying to sign him, I'll explain to you why the Cowboys thought they would be better off with Pollard at 10 million per than Zeke at 16 million per. Had they been able to strike up a deal with numbers similar to the deal he got this year it would have been Pollard who would have been shown the door. Pollard was never the better back.. he was just cheaper. As it was the Cowboys pissed away at least two maybe three games last year because they couldn't punch it in in the red zone. Zeke almost single handedly solves that problem for them. That alone is easily worth what they are paying him. He may not be 2016 Zeke anymore.. but I am expecting him to continue to be a good football player.. much to the chagrin of haters everywhere!

Chasing6

Reaction score
Why is Zeke not playing in pre season? Are they really gonna just hand him the #1 RB spot? I don't think he brings anything the other RBs bring, besides possibly pass protection. Am I looking at this wrong?
We don't have a number 1.

Praxit

Reaction score
..yes sir! Zeke the man.

feed-zeke-ezekiel.gif