Zeke cannot do what Pollard does

starfan1

Reaction score
I swear KM makes zeke run into the teeth every single time. And with a bad o-line? "come on, man!"
so did Linehan and it worked fine at first. The problem is two fold one Zeke don't have the vision when the holes aren't 2016 big and he don't hit hole quick as other RBs .I've literally seen him pick wrong gap to run through but a RB has to make a quick decision. The other is the line is not 2016 talent and that's probably the bigger issue.

If we could get the line back to where it was then Zeke while he wouldn't be 2016 Zeke would be plenty adequate but make no mistake everything that Zeke does he's gotten worse at some can be explained away by the line but dropping passes and fumbling is focus he is nowhere near as focused as he was early on. i don't know if its that he got paid and don't care he got his, or his body isn't as physically gifted or he's just low key faded and don't care

I'm not clamoring for pollard to start but if he can make plays that are splash so should Zeke.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
so did Linehan and it worked fine at first. The problem is two fold one Zeke don't have the vision when the holes aren't 2016 big and he don't hit hole quick as other RBs .I've literally seen him pick wrong gap to run through but a RB has to make a quick decision. The other is the line is not 2016 talent and that's probably the bigger issue.

If we could get the line back to where it was then Zeke while he wouldn't be 2016 Zeke would be plenty adequate but make no mistake everything that Zeke does he's gotten worse at some can be explained away by the line but dropping passes and fumbling is focus he is nowhere near as focused as he was early on. i don't know if its that he got paid and don't care he got his, or his body isn't as physically gifted or he's just low key faded and don't care

I'm not clamoring for pollard to start but if he can make plays that are splash so should Zeke.

I have said before...I have no explanation nor excuses for drops and fumbles. And yes...a FEW "missed" holes...like any RB.

But when the line is struggling (to deny that would be total insanity)....you can't just run up the gut and into teeth. And you CAN'T give him 6-10 carries. You can argue all day long that isn't "elite"....maybe, maybe not...but it's how HE rolls. 2016 was NOT just about a good line...but run run run.

Why are we not "run run run"? Because we suck all the way around.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Seriously dude? Are you so dead set on being right that you're willing to deny what you see with your own eyes. Watch #94 as he comes in .. go frame by frame and you can easily see his fist reach in and punch the ball. Hard to see in real time but when you go super slo mo you see it. Even if you don't see the punch you see how the ball flies backwards as Zeke goes down. Are you the mind that Zeke just threw the ball 5 feet backwards too? Maybe you know something about gravity that I don't?
He hates Elliott, it wouldn't surprise me if he saw the ball get punched out but still blames Elliott.
World hunger? Elliott's fault.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Holy Larry, Ron, I took it for granted he just dropped it. However, after watching closely several times, it's actually very clear that #94 reaches down and punches the ball out. You have to look carefully, but once you see it, it's obvious. This was from the vid that Cal provided, BTW. In one of the replays, you can actually see it very clearly.
I also missed it. I just assumed he did a Dez and tried too hard to stretch for yardage.

aria

Reaction score
No excuse needed. If you're looking for the perfect back, ain't gonna find him. You judge a player by his totality, not just one stat.

You do realize he had a grand total of 6 fumbles that year, right? Big whoopee deal. Emmitt had 4 or more fumbles in a season 8 times, also had years where he had 1 or 2, so it varies, even among great backs.

IF he continues on this pace, it's a problem, of course. But it doesn't mean he can't fix it. He did it before, the year after the year you noted, he had only 3 all year despite having 301 carries, only 3 less than 2018.

We'll see what happens in the future...
Just saying, this is the second time in 5 years that he’s led the league or been one fumble away from leading the league in fumbles. Or I could say 2 out of the last 3 years which certainly doesn’t imply he fixed anything.

The majority of the top 20 players with the most rushing yards this year have 2 fumbles or less. When you consider the implications of those fumbles it most definitely it is a big deal so don’t try to minimize it.

Then take into consideration his salary and publicly demanding respect and it magnifies those fumbles and lack of production even more. I’d have to look but there’s a good chance he’s given the other team more points by fumbling then he’s given his own team with rushing TD’s and your response is “big whoopee deal.” Lol, amazing.

starfan1

Reaction score
I have said before...I have no explanation nor excuses for drops and fumbles. And yes...a FEW "missed" holes...like any RB.

But when the line is struggling (to deny that would be total insanity)....you can't just run up the gut and into teeth. And you CAN'T give him 6-10 carries. You can argue all day long that isn't "elite"....maybe, maybe not...but it's how HE rolls. 2016 was NOT just about a good line...but run run run.

Why are we not "run run run"? Because we suck all the way around.
Yep you're right the line has struggled and zekes holes are not nearly as wide as they used to be and he don't get there with us much enthusiasm. He has only been getting a low amount of carries in part due to him laying it on the turf and the other team capitalizing and our defense couldn't stop anybody with any consistency. The offense has put the defense in a bad situation too often whether is Zeke or Dak or Witten or whoever you want to choose and if he's averaging a robust 3.6 yards a carry it makes no sense to keep giving him the ball. Especially when our offense is averaging 30+ airing it out.

2016 WAS about the line because we could have plugged in multiple backs that would have given you what Zeke did. Youre right we suck in alot of ways zeke isnt the only place that we can improve upon but mostly id say the defense is the most critical area.The back 7 needs a facelift

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Then take into consideration his salary

And so it goes, salary always is what it comes down to. Which is silly, because he's locked into the salary, he got the extension before the 2019 season. Nothing you can do about it now....

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Got a little work to do but I will post the frame by frames in a few and you can judge for yourself.

Here is the first shot notice #94's hand

Then in the second shot it's moved down towards Zeke

Here the hand is now down below #94's knee and right next to the ball.

Here is where the fist makes contact with the ball and you see it start to separate

Then in the last shot you see the hand on Zeke's shoulder pads as he loses the ball.

If you watch the original replay you can also see that Zeke's arm hit's #94 on the leg simultaneous to the hand hitting the ball so that probably contributed to the ball going backwards after it squirted out as well. You also see #94 windup just before he backfists the ball.

When I first watched it live I wondered how the hell the ball flew backward like that. Then I watched it in super slow mo and that was when I saw that #94 hand swung his hand backwards as Zeke was reaching out and just hit it perfectly. Great play by him.. Bad play by Zeke trying to stretch for the sticks. There was no need to do so at that point in the game.

blumayne38

Reaction score

4th n short % on this team should be self explanatory on how incompetent this coaching staff is....

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Holy Larry, Ron, I took it for granted he just dropped it. However, after watching closely several times, it's actually very clear that #94 reaches down and punches the ball out. You have to look carefully, but once you see it, it's obvious. This was from the vid that Cal provided, BTW. In one of the replays, you can actually see it very clearly.

Yeah I was initially pissed at Zeke when it happened.. Then I watched the replay and saw the punch with the backhand and said sometimes the other guy makes a good play and moved on. Why dude can't see it on his own posted replay is a mystery.. Well not really.. he saw it.. he just ignored it because it didn't support his narrative.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Seriously dude? Are you so dead set on being right that you're willing to deny what you see with your own eyes. Watch #94 as he comes in .. go frame by frame and you can easily see his fist reach in and punch the ball. Hard to see in real time but when you go super slo mo you see it. Even if you don't see the punch you see how the ball flies backwards as Zeke goes down. Are you the mind that Zeke just threw the ball 5 feet backwards too? Maybe you know something about gravity that I don't?

Right, more exaggeration (“Zeke just threw the ball 5 feet backwards too?”).

If this supposed elite RB is getting the ball “punched out” by a defender grazing the ball with his hand there’s a problem.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Right, more exaggeration (“Zeke just threw the ball 5 feet backwards too?”).

If this supposed elite RB is getting the ball “punched out” by a defender grazing the ball with his hand there’s a problem.

LMAO.. now it's "grazing the ball?" And it's no exaggeration.. the ball ends up near Zeke's feet. As in going in the opposite direction of his momentum. How would you explain it getting there? Jedi mind tricks?

aria

Reaction score
And so it goes, salary always is what it comes down to. Which is silly, because he's locked into the salary, he got the extension before the 2019 season. Nothing you can do about it now....
It’s not silly and you’re absolutely right, it does come down to salary. Ever hear of this thing called the salary cap or do you think Jerry should just hand out top dollar for every player that goes to Cabo and sucks on his pacifier until he gets paid as much as he wants?

Demand to be paid as the best, he better play like the best. Demand respect, he better earn respect. He’s failed miserably on and off the field in both areas. At this point, even if he was making the vet minimum, his play would be considered lack luster and they would probably cut him but that little thing you like to minimize and/or ignore aka salary kinda gets in the way.

aria

Reaction score
Yeah I was initially pissed at Zeke when it happened.. Then I watched the replay and saw the punch with the backhand and said sometimes the other guy makes a good play and moved on. Why dude can't see it on his own posted replay is a mystery.. Well not really.. he saw it.. he just ignored it because it didn't support his narrative.
So let me get this straight, at first you were upset because you thought he fumbled it on his own but now you’re not because a defender punched the ball (which happens to almost every RB several times a game) and zeke wasn’t properly securing so you’re not upset anymore and seem to be defending zeke?

Am I misinterpreting this Ronnie? please say I am.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Like trying a fake punt on your own 24 yard line.

I get it, certainly you expect doing that will surprise the other team, I like aggressive play calling in general, but that was beyond stupid...
it actually did surprise then Wilson didnt throw it..i dont agree with the call but it was WIDE OPEN for easy first down..hard to throw only the coach under the bus, CW should have rainbowed it to that pen receiver..

blueblood70

Reaction score
Here is the first shot notice #94's hand

Then in the second shot it's moved down towards Zeke

Here the hand is now down below #94's knee and right next to the ball.

Here is where the fist makes contact with the ball and you see it start to separate

Then in the last shot you see the hand on Zeke's shoulder pads as he loses the ball.

If you watch the original replay you can also see that Zeke's arm hit's #94 on the leg simultaneous to the hand hitting the ball so that probably contributed to the ball going backwards after it squirted out as well. You also see #94 windup just before he backfists the ball.

When I first watched it live I wondered how the hell the ball flew backward like that. Then I watched it in super slow mo and that was when I saw that #94 hand swung his hand backwards as Zeke was reaching out and just hit it perfectly. Great play by him.. Bad play by Zeke trying to stretch for the sticks. There was no need to do so at that point in the game.

good find i think we all missed that... obviously still stop fumbling but it wasnt an unforced error like most were accusing EE of..

blueblood70

Reaction score
LMAO.. now it's "grazing the ball?" And it's no exaggeration.. the ball ends up near Zeke's feet. As in going in the opposite direction of his momentum. How would you explain it getting there? Jedi mind tricks?
similar but worse fumble by Murray going through that huge HOLE in the GB payoff game , same dez catch game, and looked like no one was near him yet peppers i believe stick a hand out and GRAZED it lol.. dudes are stronger then some fools want to admit , nfl defenders graze is like punch..

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
good find i think we all missed that... obviously still stop fumbling but it wasnt an unforced error like most were accusing EE of..

Won't matter to the haters, he still fumbled, according to them since he's being paid $15 mil a year he shouldn't ever fumble...

RonnieT24

Reaction score
So let me get this straight, at first you were upset because you thought he fumbled it on his own but now you’re not because a defender punched the ball (which happens to almost every RB several times a game) and zeke wasn’t properly securing so you’re not upset anymore and seem to be defending zeke?

Am I misinterpreting this Ronnie? please say I am.

At no point did I say anything about NOT being upset. I was simply not AS upset because it was a guy making a great play as opposed to a guy being careless with the ball. Again it's a situation I have been in many times and I know the difference from experience. There are instances in football where no matter what the back does, if the defender hits either the ball or his arms just right, the ball is coming out. The one I most often cite is when a defender hits the ballcarrier right on the elbow (the funny bone) with a helmet. At that instant your arm actually goes numb and you literally have zero grip on the ball. Sometimes you can recover if you have both arms over the ball or have the other hand close by but if you get nailed right there with only one arm on the ball it's coming out and there is nothing you can do about it. People who have never played tackle football in pads probably don't understand what I'm talking about .. which is a shame.. but also not my problem. I will say this, I was considerably less upset about the fumble when the defense FINALLY held them to a field goal. Which is only like the 2nd or 3rd time all year they've done that. But that hold rendered the fumble of little consequence .. especially in a game decided by 25 points.. Had we lost by 3 I would be a good deal more pissed about it.