Zeke Elliott expendable?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How did Rod Smith look running behind that same OL?
Hardly a fair comparison, he's at best, a back up. But how would Gurley, Chubb, Barkley, Fournette, Carson, Kamara, Johnson or Michel or another starting back look behind it? Not saying Elliott is not a very good back, just not worth 13-15M a season.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Hardly a fair comparison, he's at best, a back up. But how would Gurley, Chubb, Barkley, Fournette, Carson, Kamara, Johnson or Michel or another starting back look behind it? Not saying Elliott is not a very good back, just not worth 13-15M a season.

You are jumping into a convo you didn’t start. MattJames said the OL is the straw that stirs the drink-not Zeke.

To answer your point— how do the backups to the RBs you mention above look running behind the same OL as the starters? Exactly. A quality starting RB adds juice to an offense and makes a huge difference.

Which further proves my point. Zeke is a generational talent and while our OL is great— that alone does not equal production.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are jumping into a convo you didn’t start. MattJames said the OL is the straw that stirs the drink-not Zeke.

To answer your point— how do the backups to the RBs you mention above look running behind the same OL as the starters? Exactly. A quality starting RB adds juice to an offense and makes a huge difference.

Which further proves my point. Zeke is a generational talent and while our OL is great— that alone does not equal production.
I don't know about that generational talent part, he's a very good back but there are other backs that could do almost as well. My issue with him isn't his talent, it's his price tag. And the RB position is plentiful.

Some thought T. Davis was a generational talent until Shanahan kept running back after back after back through that OL.

If you have to choose a RB at 15M v a #1WR at 17, which way do you go because to go for both is a mistake, imo.

rynochop

Reaction score
He'll no doubt get a second contract..however I could see Zeke being a guy that hits the wall hard in the middle of it

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I don't know about that generational talent part, he's a very good back but there are other backs that could do almost as well. My issue with him isn't his talent, it's his price tag. And the RB position is plentiful.

Some thought T. Davis was a generational talent until Shanahan kept running back after back after back through that OL.

If you have to choose a RB at 15M v a #1WR at 17, which way do you go because to go for both is a mistake, imo.

I think you are assuming good RBs are plentiful... Gurley and Fournette are hurt a lot. Who knows how long a guy like Kamara can hold up to the pounding?

We can debate whether or not Zeke is a generational talent— but what is not up for debate is his production to date or his durability.

It’s also clear that he is a huge part of our offense. It’s a big assumption to risk letting him walk and counting on similar production and durability.

I also don’t believe you have to choose between a #1 WR or a #1 RB. It’s a false dichotomy. The cap goes up every year and if we draft well— we can sign our best players to long term deals.

If anything, signing Zeke would mean a guy like Byron Jones or La’El Collins would walk— not Cooper— and I am fine with that if it comes to it

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
After the transformation Zeke made from year 2 to year 3, on and off the field. Stephen Jones is not going to snub Zeke for a new veteran contract. He's earned his money and he knows he's going to get it. That's why instead of holding out, he is voluntarily participating in the OTAs now. Snubbing Zeke would just be a huge morale killer for the players and you don't want to do that. He doesn't have to get his extension this year and he probably won't get it this year because their are other critical players on shorter leases.

kskboys

Reaction score

Rb.

The most useful WR for playoff runs is the chain mover, the type you can easily find in rounds 3-7. That's IF you can understand scouting reports and skillsets. Body catchers and stiff hips don't work.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think you are assuming good RBs are plentiful... Gurley and Fournette are hurt a lot. Who knows how long a guy like Kamara can hold up to the pounding?

We can debate whether or not Zeke is a generational talent— but what is not up for debate is his production to date or his durability.

It’s also clear that he is a huge part of our offense. It’s a big assumption to risk letting him walk and counting on similar production and durability.

I also don’t believe you have to choose between a #1 WR or a #1 RB. It’s a false dichotomy. The cap goes up every year and if we draft well— we can sign our best players to long term deals.

If anything, signing Zeke would mean a guy like Byron Jones or La’El Collins would walk— not Cooper— and I am fine with that if it comes to it
Right. Cap forces to pick and choose but critical to choose most valuable to success. And RB and WR might be more valuable to us than other teams because of not having an Elite QB.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rb.

The most useful WR for playoff runs is the chain mover, the type you can easily find in rounds 3-7. That's IF you can understand scouting reports and skillsets. Body catchers and stiff hips don't work.
I saw this offense with those 3-7 round guys before they traded for a 1st rounder.

They had that elite RB with those WR's how'd they do?

basel90

Reaction score
He is the engine of this offense. Non-expendable.
With Dlawrence’s huge contract and Dak’s estimated cost in the 30 mil range , plus Cooper’s deal , something has to give. If zeke insists on more than 11 mil , Stephen has to draw the line . The other problem is see here is that Dak is not with 30 mil+ .
Just look at the loss to the rams . Zeke or Dak could not save the cowboys who showed they have holes in the DL and other positions . Plus don’t forget Taco Charloton is stil a bust so. Far .

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

They all get hurt eventually and if a team has 13-15M in that player, more than him is hurt.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Preferably AND not OR, like the Pats have done. But they're the only one that has ANDed that. PIT, NO, GB, LAC, KC and we'll see if the Rams can do it but so far, no. And while the 00Ravens and 03Bucs could pull off the D side of that, they could not sustain it.

In today's NFL, it is not easy to build a championship D but to keep one together seems impossible. And keeping that QB healthy is a lot easier than 11 guys on D.
Right

The window closes quickly on these generational defenses in Cap era. Must win while you have it and why those type of teams don’t remain on top as long as ones with an Elite QB.

cern

Reaction score
i'm all for drafting a rb in the later rounds in the hopes of finding someone who can spell zeke on occasion. but we will not find anyone close to his caliber in any round. imo, zeke's the best rb in the nfl. runs, catches passes, and blocks. there are few 3 down backs playing in the modern nfl. we are fortunate to have the best. getting ready to dump the mud bugs into the hot water. bugs, corn, smoked venison sausage, cole slaw, potato salad, cobblers, etc. have a n:):):)ice day everyone.

kskboys

Reaction score
i'm all for drafting a rb in the later rounds in the hopes of finding someone who can spell zeke on occasion. but we will not find anyone close to his caliber in any round. imo, zeke's the best rb in the nfl. runs, catches passes, and blocks. there are few 3 down backs playing in the modern nfl. we are fortunate to have the best. getting ready to dump the mud bugs into the hot water. bugs, corn, smoked venison sausage, cole slaw, potato salad, cobblers, etc. have a n:):):)ice day everyone.
Send your location to my GPS, I am headed your way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
Right

The window closes quickly on these generational defenses in Cap era. Must win while you have it and why those type of teams don’t remain on top as long as ones with an Elite QB.
Even tougher than that. To remain on top for extended lengths, the first ingredient is a saavy football guy. We don't have one in the org that I'm aware of.