Zeke Elliott expendable?

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With Dlawrence’s huge contract and Dak’s estimated cost in the 30 mil range , plus Cooper’s deal , something has to give. If zeke insists on more than 11 mil , Stephen has to draw the line . The other problem is see here is that Dak is not with 30 mil+ .
Just look at the loss to the rams . Zeke or Dak could not save the cowboys who showed they have holes in the DL and other positions . Plus don’t forget Taco Charloton is stil a bust so. Far .
True, true. Dak should be no more than $25MM.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Why don't they just take the engine out of a NASCAR and let the pit crew push the dang thing?

That would surely be less expensive and not spending silly money.

Evidently the drugs now days are much more powerful than when i was young, dumb, and full of rambunction.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Zeke is a great back who was #1 in rush yards in two of his first three years. We won't know if he's "legendary" just like Emmitt Smith after three years. You just can't fairly judge a runner after three years, but he looks pretty damn good thus far!

Zeke is "#1 in yards" because he gets the ball more than any other back in the league.

Smith was a TD machine, Zeke is not. Both Peterson and Payton had a combination of speed and power we've yet to see outside of them. You then have someone like Sanders who had quickness and cutting ability that gave you a highlight nearly every week.

Zeke is none of this - he's a great runner with good vision. "Pretty dang good" is not enough to have him compared to the legendary backs. People shouldn't even be taking it there.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Not to sound harsh, just looking at it from a business standpoint, exercise his 5th yr option, see what kind of season he has, then tag him......he would have 6 season under his belt...with his style of running he'll start going down soon after is my prediction...let him walk, take the 3rd comp pick.

Long term contracts on RB's don't usually work out well.
Yea , if we haven’t won a championship 6 or 7 years in with Zeke and Dak , we probably won’t. In their Rookie contracts is our best chance.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Rod Smith wasn't the starter, it was Alfred Morris. And with his limited amount of carries, he averaged near what Elliot does on similar carries.

If you think Alfred Morris played as well as Zeke, or that defenses fear him the same way as they fear Zeke— I don’t know what else I can say to you.

If we let Zeke go and bring in a journeyman RB like an Alfred Morris because any RB can run behind our OL since the OL is the “straw that stirs the drink”— we would confirm beyond a shadow of a doubt that we have the dumbest FO in sports.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
i'm all for drafting a rb in the later rounds in the hopes of finding someone who can spell zeke on occasion. but we will not find anyone close to his caliber in any round. imo, zeke's the best rb in the nfl. runs, catches passes, and blocks. there are few 3 down backs playing in the modern nfl. we are fortunate to have the best. getting ready to dump the mud bugs into the hot water. bugs, corn, smoked venison sausage, cole slaw, potato salad, cobblers, etc. have a n:):):)ice day everyone.
Have a great one buddy. Happy Easter.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zeke is "#1 in yards" because he gets the ball more than any other back in the league. How about giving him some credit for never getting hurt?

Smith was a TD machine, Zeke is not. Both Peterson and Payton had a combination of speed and power we've yet to see outside of them. You then have someone like Sanders who had quickness and cutting ability that gave you a highlight nearly every week. They said E Smith would never compare to Sanders and Payton also.

Zeke is none of this - he's a great runner with good vision. "Pretty dang good" is not enough to have him compared to the legendary backs. People shouldn't even be taking it there.

All I'm saying is, Zeke has been in the league three years. Let's see how he finishes up before saying he's not elite. Being healthy every week is an elite characteristic.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
If you think Alfred Morris played as well as Zeke, or that defenses fear him the same way as they fear Zeke— I don’t know what else I can say to you.

If we let Zeke go and bring in a journeyman RB like an Alfred Morris because any RB can run behind our OL since the OL is the “straw that stirs the drink”— we would confirm beyond a shadow of a doubt that we have the dumbest FO in sports.

Again, he literally had the same amount of yards, average, etc. on similar carries to Zeke. This "DEFENSES FEAR ZEKE THO!" is just so dumb, if an RB is getting yards - the D will want to stop it. Simple as that.

And "without Zeke" we went 3-3. We were 3-5 last year with Zeke and we had to bring in more help still to get us back on track - so, obviously, he's not the "engine".

mattjames2010

Reaction score
All I'm saying is, Zeke has been in the league three years. Let's see how he finishes up before saying he's not elite. Being healthy every week is an elite characteristic.

Smith wasn't Payton or Sanders in terms of pure talent - Smith had incredible durability, which is what he gets credit for. Zeke is not lasting as long as Smith, and I'll put a lot of money on that.

Swagger

Reaction score
We should just adopt a new policy and only use Quarterbacks on rookie contracts. That way we can keep our best players and build a strong roster around the QB.

The NFL has changed. We need to move with the times.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Again, he literally had the same amount of yards, average, etc. on similar carries to Zeke. This "DEFENSES FEAR ZEKE THO!" is just so dumb, if an RB is getting yards - the D will want to stop it. Simple as that.

And "without Zeke" we went 3-3. We were 3-5 last year with Zeke and we had to bring in more help still to get us back on track - so, obviously, he's not the "engine".
It takes a team. But with a healthy and intact O-Line Elliot should have easier and longer runs. Would like to see us pick up a bruiser RB to bring in.

Swagger

Reaction score
I dread losing Byron Jones - just hope it doesn't happen. People seem to focus on one game when he played with an injury rather than pretty much being a shut down corner. Some people underestimate how influential he was/is.

Corner is such a skilled position it would suck to let him go

Diehardblues

Reaction score

It’s much more than that. The threat of Elliott proposes bigger issues for defenses with his exceleration and break away speed.

Defenses must respect him or leave themselves vulnerable over the top if they stack the box. Not all RB’s present the same threat and rushing stats don’t fully describe these intangible factors.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I dread losing Byron Jones - just hope it doesn't happen. People seem to focus on one game when he played with an injury rather than pretty much being a shut down corner. Some people underestimate how influential he was/is.

Corner is such a skilled position it would suck to let him go
Right .

After moving him to his natural position he’s finally fulfilling the pick we used on him in his 1st Pro Bowl appearance.