Zeke Elliott meeting with Cowboys

RoboQB

Reaction score
My first thought was a possible one day sign and retire.
I think he still has value though. I watched him play a few games in NE. They were awful. He wasn't so bad.

Glory days are long gone but he can still win in short yardage and is good in pass protection as well as safety valve-type catches. I think he had over 50 catches in NE.
He would be a great mentor but he looks like he's running in mud. Still packs a load. Young guys "didn't want none".

Clearly, they need to draft a guy. I'd prefer Jaylen Wright.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
They need RB1.

Draft is weak for RBs.

Need LT1 and C1. Plus LB1.

Zeke can carry the load for 2024.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Brooks is 20 years old with a basic ACL injury. He will be ok.
While I am as big a believe in modern medicine as anyone, this is not a given. Ask Michael Gallup. Sometimes things don't ever get back to normal. Hopefully that won't be the case for this kid.

Blitzen

Reaction score
While I am as big a believe in modern medicine as anyone, this is not a given. Ask Michael Gallup. Sometimes things don't ever get back to normal. Hopefully that won't be the case for this kid.

Of course-everyone is rooting for a full recovery for this kid. The basic issue that so many are wary about is drafting someone injured in rounds 1-3.

Context matters, and if the person is playing a position where cutting fast laterally is integral to most plays at their position-then this injury should be treated as extremely significant. Guys with previous knee injuries (especially requiring surgery) lose speed and agility-running backs career existence is largely built on speed and agility. They are also more likely to have recurrent knee issues and other future lower body injuries that are ancillary to the ACL injury. This kid is likely not fully back till the 2025 season-which makes taking him in the top 3 round ludicrous.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Of course-everyone is rooting for a full recovery for this kid. The basic issue that so many are wary about is drafting someone injured in rounds 1-3.

Context matters, and if the person is playing a position where cutting fast laterally is integral to most plays at their position-then this injury should be treated as extremely significant. Guys with previous knee injuries (especially requiring surgery) lose speed and agility-running backs career existence is largely built on speed and agility. They are also more likely to have recurrent knee issues and other future lower body injuries that are ancillary to the ACL injury. This kid is likely not fully back till the 2025 season-which makes taking him in the top 3 round ludicrous.
Yeah I would hesitate to draft a guy coming off an ACL injury that high be recall that the Bills took Willis McGahee with a first rounder with full knowledge that he was a redshirt rookie. McGahee went on to have a pretty good career. But that dude was special. He was Adrian Peterson before Adrian Peterson with that combination of sub 4.3 speed at his size! That brings back memories.. At one time Miami had Clinton Portis, Willis McGahee, Frank Gore and Edgerrin James on the same roster. Good lord how did anybody ever beat that team! Come to think of it, not many did back then.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Yeah I would hesitate to draft a guy coming off an ACL injury that high be recall that the Bills took Willis McGahee with a first rounder with full knowledge that he was a redshirt rookie. McGahee went on to have a pretty good career. But that dude was special. He was Adrian Peterson before Adrian Peterson with that combination of sub 4.3 speed at his size! That brings back memories.. At one time Miami had Clinton Portis, Willis McGahee, Frank Gore and Edgerrin James on the same roster. Good lord how did anybody ever beat that team! Come to think of it, not many did back then.

Oh yeah-I remember those super squads before the NCAA started penalizing them for certain issues with regards to talent acquisitions and payments (then later the transfer portal making it easy for players to move to other teams). We may never see other college teams quite that good.

stinkface

Reaction score
Willis's knee injury was a lot more then a torn ACL. Looked like the leg was about to fall off. I think it was ACL/MCL/PCL. Hell every L you could think of. He was a great back in College, but that helmet hit to the knee really messed up what could have been a great career. I saw it live and it was god awful..

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Min contract, short yardage back and role player, that's fine
This season is a throw away anyway, may as well get Dak and his buddy back together so they can both ride on out of here together.

In all seriousness though, I do think it's a smart signing. We needed a short yardage and goalline back. Zeke can still do that at a high level.

chicago JK

Reaction score
I am not upset if the bring back Zeke. There were better options available when FA started though.

Zeke is a guy who you really have to limit his carries and is probably best as a short yardage back. 5-7 carries type of guy. Anything more and I think you get decreased returns as the year goes on.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
This season is a throw away anyway, may as well get Dak and his buddy back together so they can both ride on out of here together.

In all seriousness though, I do think it's a smart signing. We needed a short yardage and goalline back. Zeke can still do that at a high level.
If they had figured out how to keep him last season we would have won the first Philly game AND the Miami game. We were done in by inability to punch it in down on the goal line in both of those. I think we even had a shot to get back into the AZ game early on but were undone by goal line failure. Not saying Zeke would have changed the outcome of the Green Bay game but I honestly can't recall a game while he was here where the entire team came out so damn flat. I'm sure there must have been one or two but I can't think them. Maybe the Denver game in 2021 but Zeke was on one leg for that one and we didn't give him the ball in that game anyway.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I am not upset if the bring back Zeke. There were better options available when FA started though.

Zeke is a guy who you really have to limit his carries and is probably best as a short yardage back. 5-7 carries type of guy. Anything more and I think you get decreased returns as the year goes on.
Ironically in the banger back role Zeke can go back to not caring about preserving his body and just attack the defense downhill. Yes it will shorten his career (it already has) but we really need that physicality on offense. If they DON'T sign him they still need THAT guy on the roster.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I might look at Zeke, bring him into training camp and cut him before week 1, the resign him in week 2 thus not guaranteeing his salary for this year.

Knowing our front office, they will screw this up in some other way.

Jipper

Reaction score

Yeah I agree on the role he could play for sure...they need a 3 down back in the draft though.