Twitter: Zeke Elliott on what he wants to improve in 2017

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Emmitt Smith played in the first three quarters of the game, and won the season rushing title on a 31 yard touchdown run. He rushed 20 times for 131 yards.

Richards didn't play until late in the third.
So he did. I didn't remember that. My bad.

All I remembered was Richards fumbling and Jimmy making an example out of him heading into the playoffs.

visionary

Reaction score
Not using him on a play isn't the same as not riding him. If you give Zeke the ball on 3rd and 2 every time the play becomes less successful. Don't get me wrong Zeke was great against stacked boxes but so too was our short passing gaming with chain movers in Beasley and Witten.

Had the play been successful we are never talking about it again and instead you're complaining about some other play in hindsight.

lol you can't be serious

So just because he is on the field on third and short, he had to run up the middle?

He can run off tackle
He can go on a flare route
He can motion to slot
He us your best blitz pick up RB
If the defense keeps 8 in the box to stop the run that opens up your WRs

And BTW, even when teams had 8 in the box to defend the run, zeke was effective

Bottom line is that there is absolutely no reason to take zeke off the field on third down

Fact is that we have a high school level HC-in-training learning from frick and frack

In trying to defend you golden boy (Garrett) you are exposing your ignorance and desperation

SlammedZero

Reaction score
It should be fun to see him as a second year player. He will have a season of experience under his belt and that should make him that much more dangerous.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
lol you can't be serious

So just because he is on the field on third and short, he had to run up the middle?

He can run off tackle
He can go on a flare route
He can motion to slot
He us your best blitz pick up RB
If the defense keeps 8 in the box to stop the run that opens up your WRs

And BTW, even when teams had 8 in the box to defend the run, zeke was effective

Bottom line is that there is absolutely no reason to take zeke off the field on third down

Fact is that we have a high school level HC-in-training learning from frick and frack

In trying to defend you golden boy (Garrett) you are exposing your ignorance and desperation
Speaking in absolutes is never a good thing to do.

Most every fantasy hates their coach. Good or bad. Saints fans have turned on Payton.

When fans are whining about their high school level coach it's a good sign you can tune em out.

And I view Garrett as a golden boy? Feel free to provide the corroborating evidence of that.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Well didn't seem like he needed a whole lot of dez last year
Dez draws a crowd. With no Dez...Witt, Beas, Twill, and all the other options are not as viable vs when Dez is on the field. Dak started getting the ball to Dez more consistently as the season progressed. IE was more comfortable throwing the rock into double coverage.

visionary

Reaction score
Speaking in absolutes is never a good thing to do.

Most every fantasy hates their coach. Good or bad. Saints fans have turned on Payton.

When fans are whining about their high school level coach it's a good sign you can tune em out.

And I view Garrett as a golden boy? Feel free to provide the corroborating evidence of that.

What about fans who blindly defend the decision by the HC to take the best offensive weapon off the field on critical third downs

I think tone deaf may be more accurate

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
What about fans who blindly defend the decision by the HC to take the best offensive weapon off the field on critical third downs

I think tone deaf may be more accurate
"Blindly defend"

Blah blah blah

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Dez draws a crowd. With no Dez...Witt, Beas, Twill, and all the other options are not as viable vs when Dez is on the field. Dak started getting the ball to Dez more consistently as the season progressed. IE was more comfortable throwing the rock into double coverage.
I assume you meant Romo. Yeah, before we got a running game and oline we did see what that meant many times, so yeah finally we got both and now a qb that is very good and healthy to boot (not knocking Room believe me, just his days has passed healthwise IMO)

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
I assume you meant Romo. Yeah, before we got a running game and oline we did see what that meant many times, so yeah finally we got both and now a qb that is very good and healthy to boot (not knocking Room believe me, just his days has passed healthwise IMO)
No I meant Dak last year. Dez and Romo basically didn't play in 15.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
How stupid do you have to be to take out your best weapon on third down ?

Apparently 'Garrett level stupid'

In that playoff game, Zeke should've been on the field more and got the ball more in the rushing and passing game. High school games now to me just look like an organized practice.

Our playoff game, Garrett did act like it was a high school game. I'm shocked Zeke didn't do an interview like he did at OSU when he thought he didn't get the ball enough. Our coordinators are running the teams offensive and defensive sides, but we do need more from the head hand clapper.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
That Philadelphia fiasco was a disgrace and hurt the club going into the playoffs. Typical Garrett nonsense. Those young players needed to play.

Well I don't really regret sitting players in Philly. I would rather Zeke develop his game, and it sounds like he's doing it, hopefully. Only thing I regret is not using him more in that playoff game.

What we need is for Zeke to get better at stringing moves together, especially at the second level. Emmitt and Barry were great cause they strung multiple moves together like it was ordinary. If Zeke wants to be great, a one cut runner isn't enough. I want to see him thinking as he runs and not only using his athletic ability, but his brain as he runs. They did it, I expect Zeke to develop it also. Took Bell years to develop it for the Stealers, practice patience Mr. Elliott.

haleyrules

Reaction score
Well I don't really regret sitting players in Philly. I would rather Zeke develop his game, and it sounds like he's doing it, hopefully. Only thing I regret is not using him more in that playoff game.

What we need is for Zeke to get better at stringing moves together, especially at the second level. Emmitt and Barry were great cause they strung multiple moves together like it was ordinary. If Zeke wants to be great, a one cut runner isn't enough. I want to see him thinking as he runs and not only using his athletic ability, but his brain as he runs. They did it, I expect Zeke to develop it also. Took Bell years to develop it for the Stealers, practice patience Mr. Elliott.
Elliott is a bruiser. That will probably be his stlye. Emmitt and Barry didn't have Elliotts build or power. They were shifty and hard targets by their natures. Elliott is more of the power runner. Elliott goes 225...Sanders was barely 200...Smith was around 208....they needed to be shifty. Earl Campbell was 240...bettis..l see him more in that class of RB.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Is anyone else surprised that his answer didn't have something to do with showing more midriff?

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Elliott is a bruiser. That will probably be his stlye. Emmitt and Barry didn't have Elliotts build or power. They were shifty and hard targets by their natures. Elliott is more of the power runner. Elliott goes 225...Sanders was barely 200...Smith was around 208....they needed to be shifty. Earl Campbell was 240...bettis..l see him more in that class of RB.

Those weights are relative to the time they played though, to me Zeke at 225 isn't far away from Emmitt's era at 208. Players are just bigger now. In Jim Brown's era, he was a freak of nature at his size, agility, power, and speed. Payton wasn't far from Emmitt's size and weight, but he looked so much bigger than Emmitt cause of who he was playing against were smaller.

Earl was an exception, so was Bettis, I don't want to see Zeke in the mold of either one of them. Earl was just plain nuts (don't make me mention his drop foot), and can barely walk cause he would take on 3 guys instead of just going out of bounds. Bettis had great feet, and much bigger than the size they listed him.

Would rather Zeke mold his game into a modern day Emmitt than pretty much anyone else in the game according to his metrics. Zeke is different, he's his own and shouldn't be compared to others, but making people miss should be more a part of his game instead of hurdling people.

haleyrules

Reaction score
Those weights are relative to the time they played though, to me Zeke at 225 isn't far away from Emmitt's era at 208. Players are just bigger now. In Jim Brown's era, he was a freak of nature at his size, agility, power, and speed. Payton wasn't far from Emmitt's size and weight, but he looked so much bigger than Emmitt cause of who he was playing against were smaller.

Earl was an exception, so was Bettis, I don't want to see Zeke in the mold of either one of them. Earl was just plain nuts (don't make me mention his drop foot), and can barely walk cause he would take on 3 guys instead of just going out of bounds. Bettis had great feet, and much bigger than the size they listed him.

Would rather Zeke mold his game into a modern day Emmitt than pretty much anyone else in the game according to his metrics. Zeke is different, he's his own and shouldn't be compared to others, but making people miss should be more a part of his game instead of hurdling people.
I am curious to see how Elliott develops. I see him has more of a bruiser...it seems his natural style. Emmitt and Tony were unique. Not sure how Elliott plays out long term. Seems to me he will be a killer for at least his rookie contract. If he wants longevity, l am assuming this is your point, then he will need to control those natural impulses and avoid brutal contact. So, the question is...will he and can he. Marshawn Lynch and his kind have a place in the league too. Every great athlete gets compared to other great athletes.