Zeke & Henry comparison thus far

kskboys

Reaction score
Henry does things Zeke flat out doesn’t do and he garners more attention than Zeke. Honestly, Henry has turned into what I thought Zeke was supposed to be, speed and power with big play ability. Henry was clocked this past weekend faster than Zeke has been clocked his entire career. Simply mind blowing.
Absolutely.

Zeke gets to the LOS much better than Henry, blocks better, and catches better. Henry is a freak of an open field runner.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Why don’t you post carries as well? They kind of have something to do with it.

How about all career stats and averages?

Career YPC

Zeke: 4.58
Henry: 4.76

Career TD

Zeke: 45
Henry: 44

Career receptions

Zeke: 221
Henry: 65

Career receiving yards

Zeke: 1823
Henry: 662

I think this argument is stupid, because it's apples to oranges, but when you factor in receiving, Zeke absolutely takes a dump on Henry. Henry has been better the last two seasons, but it's not even remotely fair to judge Zeke based on this season. He's running behind undrafted free agents and other hand-me-down linemen.

Ive never understood why so many fans go out of their way to take a dump on players for teams they're supposedly fans of. You'd all rather be right, than root for the Cowboys. Is it any wonder Jerry would rather be right than win. You're all cut from the same cloth.

I also love this typical "what have you done for me lately" BS. Where was Henry when Zeke was dominating the league? Henry has had 1.5 good years and you're all busy with both hands in your pants heavy petting at the thought.

I'm more convinced every day that this team doesn't have any real fans. It has people drawn to the hype and circus--drama queens who are only here to piss and moan and pine for other players and teams. Leave! Go root for someone else. My God it's ridiculous around here.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
How about all career stats and averages?

Career YPC

Zeke: 4.58
Henry: 4.76

Career TD

Zeke: 45
Henry: 44

Career receptions

Zeke: 221
Henry: 65

Career receiving yards

Zeke: 1823
Henry: 662

I think this argument is stupid, because it's apples to oranges, but when you factor in receiving, Zeke absolutely takes a dump on Henry. Henry has been better the last two seasons, but it's not even remotely fair to judge Zeke based on this season. He's running behind undrafted free agents and other hand-me-down linemen.

Ive never understood why so many fans go out of their way to take a dump on players for teams they're supposedly fans of. You'd all rather be right, than root for the Cowboys. Is it any wonder Jerry would rather be right than win. You're all cut from the same cloth.

I also love this typical "what have you done for me lately" BS. Where was Henry when Zeke was dominating the league? Henry has had 1.5 good years and you're all busy with both hands in your pants heavy petting at the thought.

I'm lore convinced every day that this team doesn't have any real fans. It has people drawn to the hype and circus--drama queens who are only here to piss and moan and pine for other players and teams. Leave! Go root for someone else. My God it's ridiculous around here.

Where are you getting 1.5 seasons from?

Kaiser

Reaction score
I'm lore convinced every day that this team doesn't have any real fans. It has people drawn to the hype and circus--drama queens who are only here to piss and moan and pine for other players and teams. Leave! Go root for someone else. My God it's ridiculous around here.

It sure seems like that but I think the majority of fans are quality people who post good information and just don't feel like engaging with the trolls.

Take it from a guy like me... who constantly engages the trolls. But seriously there are probably 50 -100 people on this site who would do a better job than most of the Dallas beat writers if they were willing to do it full time. That's why I wade through all the noise and garbage.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Where are you getting 1.5 seasons from?

This and last season. No one was pining with moist loins for 2016-18 Derrick Henry. Or were you really so gung-ho to jump his nut after earth shattering 490, 744, and 1059 yard seasons, respectively?

You know, the same seasons Zeke had 1631, 983 (in 10 games), and 1434 yards respectively.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
It sure seems like that but I think the majority of fans are quality people who post good information and just don't feel like engaging with the trolls.

Take it from a guy like me... who constantly engages the trolls. But seriously there are probably 50 -100 people on this site who would do a better job than most of the Dallas beat writers if they were willing to do it full time. That's why I wade through all the noise and garbage.

You're right. I should know better. You'd just think, with all the nonsense in the world, with all the turmoil this team has faced, with all of the injuries, that we'd rally around the guys who are here. Zeke is not without blame. He's been atrocious this season, but good lord, the guy has been a rock for this team since his first game. It's pathetic how quickly people envy their neighbors lawn.

Its no wonder Cowboys fans are universally hated. We can't even be a united front behind our own team.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
That theory is bunk.

He has just four (4) career runs of 40+ yards and three of those came in 2016.

This isn't a new thing.
The dude has finished in the top 5 in the league in rushing in 3 of the 4 years he has been able to play all the games and has finished #1 twice. Nobody and I mean NOBODY cares about 40+ yard runs. You left out the fact that Zeke has several 70+ yard runs on screen passes. What that tell me is that when he gets in space he has plenty of juice to take it to the house, this team has just done a crappy job of getting him in space over the last two seasons. I was merely offering my interpretation from a running back's perspective. I don't really need for you to agree with it. When you know your line is getting whupped you absolutely change the way you run. Some guys run scared and try to bounce everything outside while others like Zeke understand that his job is to move the chains even if the line sucks. So if he can plow ahead for 4-5 yards in spite of the lack of blocking he knows that helps the team so he does it. Zeke does as good a job of turning those 1-2 yard gains into 4-5 yard gains with sheer power as any back I've ever seen. But there is a price to pay for that. His body takes a beating and it absolutely will shorten his career. But I am not about to bang on a guy for basically taking one for the team 20 times a game. I will bang on him for fumbling or for dropping swing passes. But for getting those tough yards when the line essentially got him nothing? You can bang on him for that.. I aint doin it.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Very true. They inexplicably ran Dion Lewis more. He was a nice little back but yeah.

You need to unlock your head from your a us and go watch some tape. Henry didn't play because he spent more time running into the backs of his own players than running through holes. But sure, let's make every excuse for the guy who couldn't even start over Dion Lewis while dragging Zeke through the mud. You know, the guy actually playing for the team you're supposedly a fan of.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
The dude has finished in the top 5 in the league in rushing in 3 of the 4 years he has been able to play all the games and has finished #1 twice. Nobody and I mean NOBODY cares about 40+ yard runs. You left out the fact that Zeke has several 70+ yard runs on screen passes. What that tell me is that when he gets in space he has plenty of juice to take it to the house, this team has just done a crappy job of getting him in space over the last two seasons. I was merely offering my interpretation from a running back's perspective. I don't really need for you to agree with it. When you know your line is getting whupped you absolutely change the way you run. Some guys run scared and try to bounce everything outside while others like Zeke understand that his job is to move the chains even if the line sucks. So if he can plow ahead for 4-5 yards in spite of the lack of blocking he knows that helps the team so he does it. Zeke does as good a job of turning those 1-2 yard gains into 4-5 yard gains with sheer power as any back I've ever seen. But there is a price to pay for that. His body takes a beating and it absolutely will shorten his career. But I am not about to bang on a guy for basically taking one for the team 20 times a game. I will bang on him for fumbling or for dropping swing passes. But for getting those tough yards when the line essentially got him nothing? You can bang on him for that.. I aint doin it.

They also ignore the fact that Zeke's receiving numbers absolutely embarrass Henry.

They're trolls who'd rather dump on their own team to be right than root for their guys during hard times. It's clear the majority of this forum never played sports at any sort of competitive level.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
This and last season. No one was pining with moist loins for 2016-18 Derrick Henry. Or were you really so gung-ho to jump his nut after earth shattering 490, 744, and 1059 yard seasons, respectively?

You know, the same seasons Zeke had 1631, 983 (in 10 games), and 1434 yards respectively.

Henry went for 1,059 yards, 4.9 YPC, and 12 TDs in 2018 in just 12 starts.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Right, nobody cares about a RB that can take it to the house or flip the field on any play, smh.

You can try and say “NOBODY cares” to make it fit the narrative because there is nothing to point to (ie. big plays) to support the contrary.

So you avoided the obvious...are you arguing Zeke’s o-line has sucked since 2017? I’ll give you this season because the o-line is complete shambles.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Right, nobody cares about a RB that can take it to the house or flip the field on any play, smh.

You can try and say “NOBODY cares” because you’ve got to make it fit the narrative.

So you avoided the obvious...are you arguing Zeke’s o-line has sucked since 2017?

Would you have taken Barry Sanders over Emmitt Smith?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Show me your posts from that season pining for him.

I wasn’t.

You’re trying to pivot. You claimed Henry “only had 1.5 good seasons...”

I’m just pointing out you conveniently left out Henry’s 2018.

Please continue your valiant effort to defend Zeke’s honor Superfan.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

You can try and say “NOBODY cares” because you’ve got to make it fit the narrative.

So you avoided the obvious...are you arguing Zeke’s o-line has sucked since 2017?

Why would I? Zeke led the NFL in rushing in 2018. Or did you not watch football that year? He was 4th in 2019... in a "down year." It's a testament to how good this kid is that his down years are career years for most backs. Obviously the line has been horrid this year and really the slide began last year with Tyron battling injuries, Martin missing games, Williams missing games and Fredbeard being a shadow of himself. Even with all that he finished 4th in the league in rushing. He's 9th this year while having "the worst year of his career." Let that sink in.. He's in the top 10 at his position in the worst year of his career. To be honest I don't expect him to finish there.. I think as teams figure that Dalton is no threat to them they are going to sell out to take Zeke away. If Dalton is not equal to the challenge Zeke might not break 900 yards this year. The combination of no line and no QB will be too much for him or any other back to overcome. Take away Williams and the remaining linemen have a combined what 11? starts between them? Biadasz (2), Steele (5), Knight (who is gone 4) and McGovern (0). I guess with Knight down we get Irving back.. A guy who has went from first round pick to bust journeymen at the speed of light. Good luck with that.

I stand by my assertion that nobody cares about 40+ yard runs because they are a) rare and b) nearly always the result of great blocking and defensive lapses than a back's greatness. Most any back in the league can take it to the house if you open a gaping hole for him or if the defenders try the ole` tackling method on him. Zeke's performance in his first years in the league has made it so he never comes into a game as anything but line #1 on every DC's list of guys to pay attention to. He's the focal point of every defense he faces. The funny thing is next year he probably won't be. By getting out to a record pace this season, Dak and the receivers have stamped themselves and "the problem" when you face the Cowboys going forward. That actually bodes well for Zeke in a lot of ways. He's going to see a LOT more 5 and 6 man boxes next year and he's going to have a lot more DBs to run through than linebackers. If the line can get back to anywhere close to form I expect him to run wild in that offense. But it's not going to be this year.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
So Henry and Sanders are similar backs?

You guys were discussing guys who are home run hitters vs guys that you can count on for more consistent yards. That was one of the most popular arguments between Barry and Emmitt. It just made me wonder who you'd pick. It wasnt a dig and had no ill meaning or underhanded intention. It was a sincere question.

Last edited:

RonnieT24

Reaction score
So Henry and Sanders are similar backs?

The interesting thing about the while Barry/Emmitt debate back in the day was who preferred who.. Among fans it was like 60/40 Barry.. among players it was like 55/45 Barry.. Among coaches and GMs it was 55/45 Emmitt. Don't quote me on the numbers but that was the gist of it. The explanations for why it broke down that way were pretty simple. Barry was a lot more exciting to watch.. so fans preferred Barry .. Barry was far more likely to embarrass you in the open field so players preferred Barry.. Emmitt was far more likely to keep the chains moving and let you control the clock, pick up a blitzer to keep your highest paid and most important player from being decapitated and most importantly to find the end zone.. so guys whose jobs depended on playing winning football preferred Emmitt. Barry lost more than 3000 yards in his career.. Emmitt rarely got stopped short of the line of scrimmage. Barry was a human highlight film, Emmitt was simply money in the bank.

For what it's worth I don't think the Henry/Sanders comp is apropos at all. Barkley is more like Sanders than Henry could ever dream of being. Henry is more like Eric Dickerson. A taller, long striding back who is just a huge problem once he gets up a head of steam. But he is pretty easy to contain if you get to him before that. However because his line is so good right now he gets plenty of opportunities to get up to speed. And 255 pound guys who move that fast are a DB's nightmare. Henry is also a pretty poor receiver and blocker much like Dickerson was. He hasn't shown it this year but Zeke is a pretty good receiver overall and his blitz pickup has been exemplary even this year when he's been playing poorly in other areas.