Video: Zeke holding out? "Trade him" says Cowherd

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
And Cooper might have stayed in Oakland until we had a greater demand. The same could happen with Elliott. Just saying..
Could happen? Yes. Will happen? I cant say.

You definitely are correct in stating that we could get very worthwhile for Elliott for the reasons you've stated. However my position is that Im not going to assume a variable favors that. That there will be a team out there willing to pay a premium for Elliott to get them over the top. Without that variable in our favor, I believe due to the expectation of an extension, his trade value is diminished

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Most likely a team trading for him would likely sign him to an extension very soon after the trade. This is more typical of big trades. Cooper was an exception, and frankly he should been extended after the was made. That was a poor decision by the Cowboys FO.

I don't think that was a mistake, but I do agree, that's usually how you see deals work. The problem for the Cowboys was, they didn't know what Dak was going to cost or DLaw. Lots of moving parts going on at the time and, I am not so sure that Cooper was open to doing that, at the time. Cooper is waiting for the new CBA I think and that's smart IMO. It's likely that players salaries improve after the CBA. I mean, to me, Zeke would be smart to do the same but whatever. I think that the Cowboys have two years with Cooper so they have time to get something done with him and I feel like Cooper wants to see where the market is once he has a full season with Dak. He can only improve his position IMO.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Could happen? Yes. Will happen? I cant say.

You definitely are correct in stating that we could get very worthwhile for Elliott for the reasons you've stated. However my position is that Im not going to assume a variable favors that. That there will be a team out there willing to pay a premium for Elliott to get them over the top. Without that variable in our favor, I believe due to the expectation of an extension, his trade value is diminished
I’d agree. But what if there’s not a guarantee of a 2nd contract? Similar to our Cooper deal.

Elliott might go for it rather that sitting out entire season knowing we have no intention of offering a 2nd contract to somewhere where he might get a 2nd contract.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I’d agree. But what if there’s not a guarantee of a 2nd contract? Similar to our Cooper deal.

Elliott might go for it rather that sitting out entire season knowing we have no intention of offering a 2nd contract to somewhere where he might get a 2nd contract.
I think alot depends on who drives the the trade. If the agent shops for a trade, he will likely get his extention

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I find myself deeply concerned.

Flashback to three seasons ago and the team's quarterback position. An illogical mass hysteria formed around the belief replacing one quarterback for another quarterback, for any length of time, would destroy both team "chemistry" (magic word) and potential team's success.

Take the tricked out Delorean back to the future. Proposals are being batted around that the front office should consider trading Elliott, who is the league's top running back and amazing offensive weapon (he hauled in 77 freaking passes last year alone). Certainly, Elliott will begin declining at some point but the fall off will not happen in 2019.

So. We have Elliott, who is an essential 'irreplaceable' component of the offense, getting the 'must trade' talk treatment. Why am I hearing crickets? Where are the IT WILL DESTROY TEAM CHEMISTRY howls of disagreement?

It is way too quiet. It is like... the same illogical principle is not repeating itself. Troubling. Very troubling.

superonyx

Reaction score
And more insults. Man, you are one strange dude. Throw a cheap insult, and then pretend you didn't. Do you have mental issues?
Good question.
I am a strange dude I guess. I am joking around with you. The insult is not at you since I don't know you. I am insulting the argument.
Don't take this crap so seriously. Its Mid July and nothing we really say or think even matters towards the outcome.

You can choose to take the ownership side and I will continue to see both sides. In the end the player will hold out if he wants and the owner will cut players if he wants. And round and round it goes. This is the reality no matter which party either of us vilifies. I choose to believe their is no one to blame and neither side is the victim. Its just business for them and entertainment for us. In a strange way even a hold out is part of the drama that is entertaining.

superonyx

Reaction score
I find myself deeply concerned.

Flashback to three seasons ago and the team's quarterback position. An illogical mass hysteria formed around the belief replacing one quarterback for another quarterback, for any length of time, would destroy both team "chemistry" (magic word) and potential team's success.

Take the tricked out Delorean back to the future. Proposals are being batted around that the front office should consider trading Elliott, who is the league's top running back and amazing offensive weapon (he hauled in 77 freaking passes last year alone). Certainly, Elliott will begin declining at some point but the fall off will not happen in 2019.

So. We have Elliott, who is an essential 'irreplaceable' component of the offense, getting the 'must trade' talk treatment. Why am I hearing crickets? Where are the IT WILL DESTROY TEAM CHEMISTRY howls of disagreement?

It is way too quiet. It is like... the same illogical principle is not repeating itself. Troubling. Very troubling.
tenor.gif

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Oh boy. The old 'the player doesnt have to sign the deal' story again.
Let's stop pretending so we can all at least agree that this isnt an equal agreement. The billionaires have the power over the millionaires and just because someone agrees to be abused doesnt mean its not abuse.

We would all be better off with these conversations if we could stop this trying to discuss these things from a position that requires us to have to pretend certain terms and reality are just and fair just because they already exist.

Would a player rather get millions than go out and work a 8-6 job like the rest of us joes'? Of course.

What option does the 21 year old just drafted have when a team owns you rights and every other business in the industry have colluded to make sure you have little rights? Lets move past that so we can discuss things from a reality perspective. Not pointing at you personally but its just kind of a goodball message board tactic that is played out already.

As to them not paying him like Gurley? I thought I read they already admitted he will be the highest paid back in the league? I have not heard anything that would make me think otherwise.

Of course I hope he never holds out and I doubt he will.

But I wont pretend I can't understand why a player would. Especially a cowboys RB when the team decided Joe Randle was a suitable replacement for Demarco Murray.

Wow. So yeah, the old player doesn't have to sign story....... yeah, that one, because it's true. Players don't have to sign deals. They can hold out. Thats the truth of it and for the record, a guy like Zeke would have gotten paid stupid money to go play in the CFL so yeah, for sure, they have options and every one of them is not making Tacos at KFC/Taco Bell. But since you bring it up, yeah, lets talk about that. If Zeke has it so bad, then yeah, go find a real job. Go find a job like most people have and then tell me how bad you have it and how bad Jerry and the team have treated you. For sure, lets talk about that. That's a position that I do not believe you can defend or win in this discussion. Jerry and the Cowboys have been very good to Zeke. However, I do agree with you that we would all be better off if we stopped pretending. So here it is, lets stop pretending that Zeke has been treated like some minimum salary player here. Lets stop pretending that Zeke has not been treated well, in all sense of the word, in Dallas. Lets stop pretending that Zeke will be the highest paid RB in the league because the Cowboys, specifically Stephen said that he would not be getting paid like Gurley. Lastly, lets stop pretending that the Gurley contract is recognized as a good and fair deal. Every team in the league thinks that's a stupid deal and will not be following that example. The Rams almost immediately regret doing that deal. That's not going to be the trend in the NFL IMO. Lets reset this conversation and discuss it from the stand point of what is realistic. Zeke wants a Gurley deal two years early and that's not going to happen. It's bad business so lets discuss this from the stand point of what is realistic. I think the Cowboys would do a deal with Zeke tomorrow if his demands were not as far fetched as they appear to be. I mean, if Zeke were willing to sign a four year, 40 Mil deal with a fifth year team option, the Cowboys would probably do that deal. That, to me, is more realistic but I guess we'll never really know.

superonyx

Reaction score
Wow. So yeah, the old player doesn't have to sign story....... yeah, that one, because it's true. Players don't have to sign deals. They can hold out. Thats the truth of it and for the record, a guy like Zeke would have gotten paid stupid money to go play in the CFL so yeah, for sure, they have options and every one of them is not making Tacos at KFC/Taco Bell. But since you bring it up, yeah, lets talk about that. If Zeke has it so bad, then yeah, go find a real job. Go find a job like most people have and then tell me how bad you have it and how bad Jerry and the team have treated you. For sure, lets talk about that. That's a position that I do not believe you can defend or win in this discussion. Jerry and the Cowboys have been very good to Zeke. However, I do agree with you that we would all be better off if we stopped pretending. So here it is, lets stop pretending that Zeke has been treated like some minimum salary player here. Lets stop pretending that Zeke has not been treated well, in all sense of the word, in Dallas. Lets stop pretending that Zeke will be the highest paid RB in the league because the Cowboys, specifically Stephen said that he would not be getting paid like Gurley. Lastly, lets stop pretending that the Gurley contract is recognized as a good and fair deal. Every team in the league thinks that's a stupid deal and will not be following that example. The Rams almost immediately regret doing that deal. That's not going to be the trend in the NFL IMO. Lets reset this conversation and discuss it from the stand point of what is realistic. Zeke wants a Gurley deal two years early and that's not going to happen. It's bad business so lets discuss this from the stand point of what is realistic. I think the Cowboys would do a deal with Zeke tomorrow if his demands were not as far fetched as they appear to be. I mean, if Zeke were willing to sign a four year, 40 Mil deal with a fifth year team option, the Cowboys would probably do that deal. That, to me, is more realistic but I guess we'll never really know.
Well I am going to assume you didnt know but the CFL has a salary cap of 5.2M for the entire team. The highest paid player makes 200k per year.
https://careertrend.com/info-7916967-average-salary-cfl-player.html

And here is the quote from Stephen Jones.

Jones acknowledged as much back in February, when he said that Gurley’s contract with the Los Angeles Rams provided a guideline for negotiations with Elliott.

“We certainly saw what Gurley got paid, and we know that’s probably where it starts, and we’ll go from there,” he said at the NFL Combine.

So unfortunately your points just took a beating.

Praxit

Reaction score
If Elliott is considering sitting out this year then my hunch is it’s being driven by he doesn’t think the Cowboys are going to extend him when his contract is up. And doesn’t want to be abused next two years.

So, he wants out now. That’s the only thing that makes sense to me if there’s any validity to these rumors at all.
....Zeke should know, Jones overpays his players he believes in.. lol. Its all in cowboys history. I think its a dumb move on his part and greedy as well.

eromeopolk

Reaction score

He makes a compelling case.

It makes a compelling case for the stupid and ill informed.

Zeke is not holding out. If he does, it would be foolish. Also the cowboys were not going to use him a lot in camp or in preseason games.

Comparing the Herschel Walker trade shows you how stupid this man is. Herschel ran like a horse with blinders. He was not a long term answer. So what did Jimmy do with his 1st of 3 1st round pick for Herschel Walker...drafted Emmitt Smith.

Also our OL was bad last year and Zeke was the leading rusher in the NFL with 70 catches.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Zeke would be the perfect trade. The new team will have him for a couple of years and you will get a good haul for him.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Did I miss where Zeke himself said he is going to hold out? All I've seen is report from "sources inside the NFL".

Reid1boys

Reaction score
The downside of that particular route is that we're basically punting the 2020 season without a QB. Even with such a talented roster around the QB, if we give Mike White the 2020 season with next to no experience we're probably looking at 4-12 or possibly worse. But, on the bright side, that would mean a top 5 pick in 2020, which combined with all those other picks we could easily trade up to #1 if necessary.

But... honestly, missing the playoffs and being terrible is the same to me as getting there and losing. So...

- Win the SB in 2019
- Go 3-13 in 2020 and find a way to get the #1 pick, either by draft status or by trade
- Contend for another SB in 2021 and many years beyond

may not be a bad thing.
I looked at you rprofile and it says you are 26. Now usingwhat you said above, that not winning a super bowl or even getting there and losing is as bad as being 3-13 for you, that tells me you have been miserable, as a fan, your entire life. Why watch football at all?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
It's up to Elliott. I wouldn't sign him now unless you factor in his remaining contract and spread it to protect the cap.
I don't want to trade because we know what we have, an elite RB.
That being said, another thing that is in my mind is will he be able to stay on the field the rest of his career?

LittleD

Reaction score
Just like in real life from the other side also. This isn’t a charity business. Zeke brings money to the organization and for this he gets a portion of it in return. Just as teams don’t need to keep him, he doesn’t need to sell his services to them .

At Will is also from labors perspective.

Yes, that is his contract guaranteed portion they signed. He is owed nothing else... He is not the business and the crowds come to see more than Zeke getting piled up in the middle of the OL.
RB's are a dime a dozen behind our All Pro line.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
....Zeke should know, Jones overpays his players he believes in.. lol. Its all in cowboys history. I think its a dumb move on his part and greedy as well.
I wouldn’t take it personal . Just business.

And this kid might be smarter than I thought.