Zeke not looking worthy of the 4th overall pick **merged**

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Draft position is irrelevant the moment the draft is over.....Dak was 135th.... should he do less

B.S.

Dak is providing great value for a conditional pick at the backend of the 4th round. What kind of value is Elliott providing as the #4 overall player in the draft? When you factor in the missed value you could have added to your team instead of taking a RB (of all positions) with that pick, the impact is compounding.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
B.S.

Dak is providing great value for a conditional pick at the backend of the 4th round. What kind of value is Elliott providing as the #4 overall player in the draft? When you factor in the missed value you could have added to your team instead of taking a RB (of all positions) with that pick, the impact is compounding.
Value is made up once the games start........impact on the field is all that matters.......teams are built thru trades, drafts, FAs and extensions.....how they got here is nowhere nearly as important as what they do now......

What if we took Dak in the first and Elliott in the 4th????.... How does that change anything but their paychecks

kevm3

Reaction score
Jacksonville just got 30+ points laid on them after drafting Ramsey/Jack. Realistically, the vast majority of rookies are only going to improve your team so much. Anyone expecting Zeke to come out the gate looking like AP was being unrealistic. AP is a once in a lifetime back. The only player to look like AP is AP. With Zeke, the dude is showing he has skills and has improved significantly over last game. However, he's running like he's trying to 'live up to expectations'. We should tell the guy to relax. Zeke is what happens when you baby guys during preseason and don't let them get acclimated to the speed of the NFL.

Once the O-line gets its run blocking together and Zeke stops trying to overpower guys, he'll start to look a lot better. The kind of game Zeke had in college where he could barrel through college guys, he can't do that in the NFL since NFL players are significantly stronger, and although Zeke may be strong, he's not a power back, so someone needs to tell him to stop seeking contact so much and use his shiftiness more to get up the field.

Dak is showing that he can beat teams with his arm, so once teams start respecting his throwing game, things will start to open up for Zeke.

Bluestar9

Reaction score
Not worth the 4th pick???? 1st fumble was all on him, 2nd was a helmet directly on the ball. Adrian would of fumbled it. Zeke and Dak both showed so much maturation from from week 1, im very excited to see where their ceiling is. Zeke will learn from his fumble(s), everything else this game from him was so much better than last week.
Agree

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Value is made up once the games start........impact on the field is all that matters.......teams are built thru trades, drafts, FAs and extensions.....how they got here is nowhere nearly as important as what they do now......

What if we took Dak in the first and Elliott in the 4th????.... How does that change anything but their paychecks

Easy.

QBs get drafted high because they are commodities and when you find a quality one he provides incredible value to a franchise for years (see Brady & Manning...17 seasons each). If there's any position in football that can be described as something close to "disposable" it's running back; you can get great production out of less heralded propects on a regular basis than using the #4 overall pick on the position is not and will not ever be (w/exceptions to anomalies such as Peterson) a prudent strategy.

MSCowboyFan

Reaction score
Not looking worthy of the 4th overall pick.

I said all along we should trade down. I saw this kid EXTENSIVELY in college at OSU. Very good back but not NEARLY worth a top 5 pick...I'd have traded down and still taken him around 20. However, we DID take him at 4 and I love this team. I'm rooting like hell for the kid but he needs to sit for now and realize he can't lay the ball on the ground like that. Morris IS the better back right now and most all of us know it. Start him and prosper. Zeke will get another chance soon enough.

NickZepp

Reaction score
Elliott's going to be a star. I'm not really worried about him. I was a little worried after game one but not much. He's only gonna get better. After Emmitt Smith's first 2 games as a rookie he had like 13 yards rushing.

Reaction score
Zeke's obviously not off to the start we'd like to see, but he's shown some of the reasons we picked him where we did.

1) Teams are selling out to stop the run, because they are willing to force Dak to beat them with his arm. That's why the play action is working so damn well when they do it even without establishing a successful run game.

2) It's not remotely a small thing to have a rookie come in day 1 and be good enough at pass pro to play 3 downs.

Just wait until Dak starts throwing TDs and/or when Romo comes back and teams can't sell out to stop the run this way, and Zeke's going to explode.

NickZepp

Reaction score
Zeke's numbers are in line or better than most rookies in Cowboys history and Dallas has had a lot of impact rookie running backs(Perkins, Hill, Dorsett, Walker, Smith, Jones, Barber, Murray just to name a few)

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
This online hasn't run blocked the same since Callahan left. I think Zeke will be fine once defenses start to back off the run more.

CoJo JoJo

Reaction score
It's a few things. He's being impatient when handed the ball, but the oline isn't blocking quite as well either. This is partly due to the fact teams aren't respecting Dak's arm quite yet. Once we start punishing teams for stacking the box more lanes will open up for Elliot.

Stinger_Splash

Reaction score
Elliot needs to be more patient in his running. He's a rookie going 110 mph. He needs to wait for his blocking to develop and then attack.

jjtrcka22

Reaction score
Still a long way to go before you judge Zeke. Ladainian Tomlinson only averaged 3.6 ypc his rookie year. Takes time.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Gurley and Peterson (before his injury) haven't done squat this year do they suck as well or is it cause teams are keying on them daring teams to beat them with other players?

I hate when people blame one player for the issues with an entire offense. RBs need some lanes and you can't make a living running vs stacked boxes. Players are just too good. Yea he fumbled but I still think as the offense gets better and Dak is allowed to do more things it will start to open up some running lanes for Zeke. He was close to going to the house a few times today.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Gurley only had 51 yards rushing today. BUST!!! Peterson had no room to run tonight before he got hurt. BUST!!! Miller only got 83 today at 3.3 ypc. BUST!!!

Common Sense

Reaction score
This is literally the dumbest thing I've seen. You're averaging his first two games when he clearly did much better the second? Talk about reaching.

Yeah, proration is so dumb. Statistics, so dumb. Math. EH! Dumb.

The whole point was about his performance to date. This is putting those two games into context of the whole season. I'm sorry your feeble little mind can't handle that, Superfan.

Common Sense

Reaction score
1072 yds and 16 TDs and he has been pretty terrible so far

1000 yards means nothing on a 16-game schedule, especially on 328 carries.

It's his second game. He has room to improve. But anyone acting like these past two weeks are anything to get worked up over are being obnoxious superfans. This game needs to be a turning point for Zeke.

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
Not looking worthy of the 4th overall pick.

Zeke wasnt my first choice on draft day, but its unfair to judge him after 2 games. Expectations were sky high and he didnt start the season with Romo either. Granted he hasnt been the most patient runner, but teams have stacked the box on most plays. He will get better, the Cowboys just need to get him in space and Dak needs to stretch the field more to open up the line more.