Zeke or Barkley? Who was the better prospect

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'd be happy with either one and you can toss Gurley in as well.

Hard to compare because Elliott played on a better team and better offense but he was a complete back with Meyer saying he was the best RB without the ball he'd ever coached, that's high praise. It was hard for defense to key on Elliott because of the other parts of the offense but other than TE, Penn St. only had Barkley.

I watched Barkley play quite a bit and he's a freak. Both Elliott and Gurley were hurdlers so they come by that athleticism honestly and can do things most other backs can't do but Barkley's balance and agility for his size is mind boggling.

I'd take either one but throw in the person side of it and give me Barkley. He was more mature at 16 than Elliott was at 21.

As to which will be better in the NFL, we'll have to wait and see but Elliott got to go to a team with an OL and Barkley gets to go to a team with the best receiving corps in the league and I would bet Barkley's OC will get the ball in his hands via the pass more than the Cowboys did with Elliott. In fact, I am predicting that little Mr. Hates Kicking Nets is going to have a meltdown on the sideline at least once because they got Barkley to lean on and run the offense through him, not through the WR.
Yep. Makes Giants I believe the most improved team in division if they can protect Eli.

If NY has any kind of defense Barkley could do for Eli what Terrell Davis did for Elway.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the biggest thing that sets them apart, and I havent seen anyone bring it up yet is Zeke has the ability to run between the tackle and get you dirty yards, Barkley doesn't. Didn't he lead college in getting hit behind the line of scrimmage or something?
He had a very mediocre OL. And he might not have a better one now. That run between the tackles is as much about those three big uglies in the middle because they were making holes when he was a rookie and he was missing them until he figured out the timing.

There are some elite RBs in the league and Barkley may be one of them but you can give me Bell, Gurley, Elliott, Hunt or Cook and I'm happy. If Cook stays healthy this season, he's gonna be special. If he hadn't gotten injured, it would have been the Cook-Hunt showdown last season.

But ya know what's still the case? None of these elite RB's are getting their teams through the playoffs to the Big Dance. Because one player can still be stopped.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He had a very mediocre OL. And he might not have a better one now. That run between the tackles is as much about those three big uglies in the middle because they were making holes when he was a rookie and he was missing them until he figured out the timing.

There are some elite RBs in the league and Barkley may be one of them but you can give me Bell, Gurley, Elliott, Hunt or Cook and I'm happy. If Cook stays healthy this season, he's gonna be special. If he hadn't gotten injured, it would have been the Cook-Hunt showdown last season.

But ya know what's still the case? None of these elite RB's are getting their teams through the playoffs to the Big Dance. Because one player can still be stopped.
The biggest negative for us compared to most of these other great RB’s is we don’t have the dual threat at QB and in passing game. Without that you better have a Top 5 defense .

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep. Makes Giants I believe the most improved team in division if they can protect Eli.

If NY has any kind of defense Barkley could do for Eli what Terrell Davis did for Elway.
Agree, they are the real unknown in the division and talk of Manning being done is premature, he can still get that ball out and on target but can they protect him because every DC knows how to beat them? In fact, that's really the only way to beat them because they have, imo, the best and hardest to cover WR-TE tandem in the league and I watched Ingram play in college and we ain't seen what this guy can do yet. Give Manning the time, and you are in a shootout.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The biggest negative for us compared to most of these other great RB’s is we don’t have the dual threat at QB and in passing game. Without that you better have a Top 5 defense .
This is not a top 5 D, I don't think it will be top 10 so that old "run the ball and play solid D" will not apply. Our QB is going to have to be dual threat and get his legs more involved this season to keep the D's honest.

That's the secret, imo. Every year, Bama has the best D in college ball but even Saban admits, the dual threat QB is a real problem for them, THE problem. Watson was a nightmare for them.

Dak needs to be what he is and not try to be what he isn't. He's Bobby Douglas with a better arm. He is not and I don't think he ever will be the prototypical pocket QB. The combination of Dak and Zeke can be very effective...in most games.

kskboys

Reaction score

NY has D talent, but it sure didn't show last season. And now changing to the 3-4.

Plus, the Gnats had a ton of disciplinary problems last year. The new HC, Shurmur, will hv to get that under control and make this back into a team.

Gnats will win at least 8 games this season.

kskboys

Reaction score

IDK man, have you seen their OL upgrades? Solder from NE, and then behemoth Will Hernandez in the draft? Also got the OG starter from JAX, some dude named Omameh.

Fournette got his team to the big dance, but was bailed out by the refs. IDK if you watched that game, but it was the most horrific reffing job of the year. It became quite obvious that the NFL agenda was not having JAX and Philly in the super bowl!!!!

Proof

Reaction score
No, not at all. Saquon was more publicized w/ a lot more hysteria, that does not make him a better prospect, just a better known one.

This is like asking who was a better prospect, Mo Claiborne or Xavior Rhodes. Just because Mo was the more popular pick did not make him a better prospect.

Wat?

No was hands down the better prospect.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IDK man, have you seen their OL upgrades? Solder from NE, and then behemoth Will Hernandez in the draft? Also got the OG starter from JAX, some dude named Omameh.

Fournette got his team to the big dance, but was bailed out by the refs. IDK if you watched that game, but it was the most horrific reffing job of the year. It became quite obvious that the NFL agenda was not having JAX and Philly in the super bowl!!!!
I did watch and agree. The reffing is one of the reasons they're losing audience and now they get to make even more calls to stop the games. Watching a game has become as much of a challenge as having sex when you're the telemarketer target of the hour.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NY has D talent, but it sure didn't show last season. And now changing to the 3-4.

Plus, the Gnats had a ton of disciplinary problems last year. The new HC, Shurmur, will hv to get that under control and make this back into a team.

Gnats will win at least 8 games this season.
And more than any team in recent memory, they have this way of showing up out of nowhere and winning a ring.

I look at the Giants and Boys and ask myself, which team improved the most from 2017 on paper? They take the prize and already had the best receiving corps.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
coming out of college?
Barkley was the better prospect. This is pretty much a fact as far as the so called experts are concerned. However, Zeke IMO was better suited for the NFL based on what he did in between the tackles and after contact.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
And more than any team in recent memory, they have this way of showing up out of nowhere and winning a ring.

I look at the Giants and Boys and ask myself, which team improved the most from 2017 on paper? They take the prize and already had the best receiving corps.
Giants had more room to improve. Their offensive line stunk so adding anyone was gonna upgrade that unit. They sucked at running back and they added Barkley. There are stil questions on whether or not they are good enough because that offensive line still has issues and Eli is still their qb. The most important position on the field didn't get upgraded.

kskboys

Reaction score
Barkley was the better prospect. This is pretty much a fact as far as the so called experts are concerned. However, Zeke IMO was better suited for the NFL based on what he did in between the tackles and after contact.
Which, IMO, makes EZ the better prospect.

kskboys

Reaction score
Wat?

No was hands down the better prospect.
I read and read and reread MO's scouting report, and it still read like a 3rd round prospect. I couldn't/can't for the life of me see why he was rated so high. I absolutely do not think he was a better prospect, even though the scouts claimed he was.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
coming out of college?
Lots of opinions. To me it’s splitting hairs. But based on measurable standards and all that.....Barkley seems to be a little faster, quicker, and the more versatile guy. But id take either. Zeke has the team and oline advantage.

Oh.... and Barkley is a more mature, smarter player.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think the biggest thing that sets them apart, and I havent seen anyone bring it up yet is Zeke has the ability to run between the tackle and get you dirty yards, Barkley doesnt. Didnt he lead college in getting hit behind the line of scrimmage or something?

That would be an oline problem not a rb problem.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Ouch. No respect for Johnson or Bell? Arguably the two best backs in this league.....
Coming out of college neither Johnson nor Bell were considered elite level prospects coming out of college. Best RB currently in the NFL is another topic for another thread.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
You’re forgetting Cook. IMO he’s better than Fournette at this point.
Same here. Cook may be a better player than Fournette now but as far as a prospect coming out of college Cook likely was never in the same paragraph as Fournette....heck maybe not even the same page.