Zeke or Jalen Ramsey 2 years later

8FOR!3

Reaction score
Zeke is a legitimate generational talent. Ramsey is a top tier corner, but not an all-time great. In my opinion, the only argument for taking Ramsey over Zeke is that Ramsey plays a more impactful position where it is more difficult to find good talent, which is a perfectly valid stance.

He’s probably already the greatest Jaguar of all time, I think he has the talent to be an all time great. Not that Zeke doesn’t.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
At Best Ramsey covers one guy. Maybe half the field, but Ramsey is not Deion.

I see the comments about taking a RB in the 2-4th round. And I marvel that some of these same people were complaining about Murray. A second rounder who lead the league. So Dallas had the running back but some of you whined about how expensive he was.

So there is your Ramsey pick. It was allowed to walk to a competitor in this division because the draft wizards on this site and in the front office thought you could just go out and grab you a RB just any ole time.

Zeke was the pick then. Zeke is the pick now.

I think some of you play far too much Madden and don't stay enough in a Holiday Inn Express.

Nashville_Cowboy

Reaction score
Either pick would have been benefited the team. I don't think we would have both Awuzie and Lewis had the Cowboys gone with Ramsey so you can't compare it that way. Of course, with Ramsey I would have been fine passing on at least one of them :)

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I wanted Ramsey at the draft, but I still prefer EE.

And I’m glad that Ramsey has proven me right. Particularly about the ‘he doesn’t have any ball skills’ argument which was ridiculous.

But, EE is a HoF caliber player. Cornerbacks are a weird bunch in that they can last longer in the game than RB’s, but they are constantly getting injured and missing 2-3 games a year whereas legit starting RB’s tend to miss less time and then last to about 30 years old.

EE is a great athlete, but his ability to read the play is what separates him from so many backs. He was extremely well coached by his dad and then when he went to Ohio State. I think he’s good in pass pro…sometimes excellent, but when he had knock off the rust early this year and when he came back from suspension. And he’s a good pass receiver.

But, he’s stuck with a sorry offensive coaching staff and he got suspended over nonsense and I can see the fans wanting Ramsey. I just think when it’s a toss up, you go with the offensive player over the defensive player unless it’s a pass rusher (and that’s unless you’re looking at a QB on offense).

YR

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ramsey was the right call at the time, no doubt about it. We got lucky with the DBs, sort of, this season, but should never have been in a position where 4 starters walked and we had to replace them all in one draft. That's just bad team management, and would have been worse had Anthony Brown not panned out as a 6th rounder that same year. Can you imagine?

Plus, Zeke plays a position that can readily be filled in rounds 2-4. And he was known to have character questions coming out, which did in fact bite us. I'm not absolving Goodell for that witch hunt, but Elliott had no business being in that situation to begin with.

I think something to remember is the Cowboys are a much more run oriented team than most NFL teams, so RB is a much more key position for the Cowboys than other teams. And by RB I don't mean a pass receiver out of the backfield, but a true RB who is a true weapon as a ball carrier. The Cowboys offense doesn't work at its best without that. Accordingly, I don't think it was all that easy to just push the pick of a RB off until Rounds 2-4 and accept whoever might be avaialbe. Maybe Derrick Henry would have worked (maybe), or Jordan Howard (maybe), but there were no guarantees either would be there when the Cowboys may have been willing to take them, and frankly there wasn't that strong a feeling around the NFL that either were going to be that good anyway.

waving monkey

Reaction score
I know its not the question but Zeek is a top RB in the NFL and we have seen what he means to Dak.
I dont question good fit

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think something to remember is the Cowboys are a much more run oriented team than most NFL teams, so RB is a much more key position for the Cowboys than other teams. And by RB I don't mean a pass receiver out of the backfield, but a true RB who is a true weapon as a ball carrier. The Cowboys offense doesn't work at its best without that. Accordingly, I don't think it was all that easy to just push the pick of a RB off until Rounds 2-4 and accept whoever might be avaialbe. Maybe Derrick Henry would have worked (maybe), or Jordan Howard (maybe), but there were no guarantees either would be there when the Cowboys may have been willing to take them, and frankly there wasn't that strong a feeling around the NFL that either were going to be that good anyway.

I’m in the ‘just find a decent RB’ camp. I’d be perfectly happy with a rotation, as well. If they don’t fumble, and if they can pass protect, fine by me. I’ll take a Murray or an Ajayi if it means fixing a porous defense finally.

waving monkey

Reaction score
I wanted Ramsey at the draft, but I still prefer EE.

And I’m glad that Ramsey has proven me right. Particularly about the ‘he doesn’t have any ball skills’ argument which was ridiculous.

But, EE is a HoF caliber player. Cornerbacks are a weird bunch in that they can last longer in the game than RB’s, but they are constantly getting injured and missing 2-3 games a year whereas legit starting RB’s tend to miss less time and then last to about 30 years old.

EE is a great athlete, but his ability to read the play is what separates him from so many backs. He was extremely well coached by his dad and then when he went to Ohio State. I think he’s good in pass pro…sometimes excellent, but when he had knock off the rust early this year and when he came back from suspension. And he’s a good pass receiver.

But, he’s stuck with a sorry offensive coaching staff and he got suspended over nonsense and I can see the fans wanting Ramsey. I just think when it’s a toss up, you go with the offensive player over the defensive player unless it’s a pass rusher (and that’s unless you’re looking at a QB on offen
YR

I appreciate perception

Doomsay

Reaction score
There is the knock-on effect of Zeke making Dak look a lot better than was probably warranted, although Romo was never really going to come back long term, regardless of his superior talent. Not sure that we fully utilize Zeke in the first place. He and Jalen are both incredible talents, that's beyond dispute.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
For this Dallas team and what they need to compete......Zeke. Now, if we had a balanced offense that didn't rely on the run game, then Ramsey because defense still wins championships. I am not convinced Jalen would have made us a better team without Zeke in it.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
CBs also have a longer life span in NFL years.
Which just means they will spend more time playing for other teams. How many corners last into a third contract with the team that drafted them? In fact, you are just as likely to see them move on in their second contract, ala Claiborne.

Even the best corners like Revis etc. price themselves off the team that originally drafted them because too many teams are willing to throw huge free agent money at them. Or they get traded.

The fact they have longer careers is irrelevant for the most part for the teams that draft them.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To me this is never been about Ramsay versus Elliot this has been about Damarco Murray versus Elliot. We found Murray in the third round and developed him into one of the best backs in the game and then just let him walk. Never made sense considering what we give guys like Tyrone Crawford.

Is our team better with a top 3 RB or a top 7 RB and the best CB? Pretty easy for me to pick now but I knew this would be the case two years ago.

I know why it happened too. We are trying to mimic and model ourselves after the patriots who don't value RBs so we let Murray leave only to find that not valuing RBs conflicts with our draft strategy of BPA in a position of need. Combine that with Mo Claiborne and we get Elliott over Ramsey.
Resigning Murray would have been a terrible idea. He was awful in 2015 (yes, in a bad situation), was good in 2016, and was awful this year and looks pretty much done (gee, at right around age 30: who could've predicted that?) We would have had to pay him way too much and for way too long for maybe 2 years of good production.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m in the ‘just find a decent RB’ camp. I’d be perfectly happy with a rotation, as well. If they don’t fumble, and if they can pass protect, fine by me. I’ll take a Murray or an Ajayi if it means fixing a porous defense finally.

I just don't think that works with the kind of offense the Cowboys want to run. The offense only works as intended if opponents have to worry at least as much or more about the running game as the passing game, and if the team can control the clock and tempo on the ground. If they settle for merely "decent" at RB it compromises the entire offense. It would be similar to settling for merely a "decent" QB in an offense that wants to throw the ball 65% of the time.

As for Murray too, we had him and there were salary cap issues and he was a casualty. I don't know, maybe the team made the wrong decision paying Dez instead of Murray, that's hard to say. But the fact is that wasn't a factor when the choice had to be made on Elliott because what was done was done, and the team had to play with the hand they had at that time. The other thing I think is fair to point out is Jaylen Smith alone wasn't going to fix the defense, so the decision on that one draft pick can't fairly be viewed as the thing that prevented the team from fixing the defense.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
If you took Ramsey.........who's the current RB, 3-down that is? One that keeps defensive coor up at night and takes the pressure off your young QB.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah but if they took Ramsey then you don’t have to use all those picks last year on DBs.

They would still have had to use some of them. Jaylon couldn't fill all the holes.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just don't think that works with the kind of offense the Cowboys want to run. The offense only works as intended if opponents have to worry at least as much or more about the running game as the passing game, and if the team can control the clock and tempo on the ground. If they settle for merely "decent" at RB it compromises the entire offense. It would be similar to settling for merely a "decent" QB in an offense that wants to throw the ball 65% of the time.

I would have taken a Murray too, but we had him and there were salary cap issues and he was a casualty. The team may have made the wrong decision paying Dez instead of Murray, but when the choice had to be made on Elliott what was done was done, and the team couldn't go back. The other thing I think is fair to point out is Jaylen Smith alone wasn't going to fix the defense, so the decision on that one draft pick can't fairly be viewed as the thing that prevented the team from fixing the defense.

As for the running game, we'd probably seen about what we saw when Elliott went out. Teams didn't really defend us all that differently, though it affected Dak's option game. Give me a speed WR someplace and I can live with that.

Provided, we actually addressed the lack of talent on defense. To have gotten as close as we got in 2014 only to not be able to stop Rodgers when it counted, and then used the #4 and the #34 overall on an offensive player and a defender who couldn't play for a year and a half was a huge mistake. Give me Lamar Miller or pick your mid-round RB in 2016 and two capable defenders and I like my chances last year better than what we ended up with.

I know everybody loves Elliott and thinks that heresy, but with our OL, we ought to be able to run the football, regardless. We spent a fortune in picks and cap dollars to be able to do so. Our defense? Not so much. We tried to make-do with spit and duct tape and then are surprised each post season we can't 'coach 'em up' and get past Aaron Rodgers and company. No kidding.