Zeke or Jalen Ramsey 2 years later

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Which just means they will spend more time playing for other teams. How many corners last into a third contract with the team that drafted them? In fact, you are just as likely to see them move on in their second contract, ala Claiborne.

Even the best corners like Revis etc. price themselves off the team that originally drafted them because too many teams are willing to throw huge free agent money at them. Or they get traded.

The fact they have longer careers is irrelevant for the most part for the teams that draft them.

Maybe. I don't actually know what the numbers look like on that, but you're right that it's possible we'd be just as likely to lose Ramsey on a FA deal at some point as we would Elliott.

But you still get the benefit of knowing the guy your'e signing is a fit for your system if you do keep him on that 3rd contract, even if you don't get any hometown discounts along the way. And it's still a guy who's not been suspended already and who probably has a lower likelihood of suspension going forward than Elliott does.

Plus I wouldn't have to deal with all the nonsense like jumping into kettles and blowing spit balls at Dak during interviews that everybody seems to think is adorable and that I just thing is childish.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
We'd probably have 2 more Super Bowl championships had we drafted Randy Moss. Boy the if's.
But I do like Ramsey's press conferences.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
In a vacuum I wanted Ramsey. But with hindsight it’s pretty easy to take Zeke now especially with the development of our secondary

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
The arguments for both sides are very good.

But Zeke isn't just any RB, he's a generational RB. And the Cowboys seem to have their CB's now in Chidobe Awuzie and Jourdan Lewis. Jalen Ramsey is a superstar in the making, but he's not impacting a game the way Elliott does when the o-line is healthy.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
On a normal team, gimme Ramsey easily and it's not even close! On THIS team though, with an outdated system dependent on having an all-time great workhorse RB, Zeke was essential over any other position.

Swanny

Reaction score
It's been 2 full seasons (minus a bogus 6 game suspension)! Zeke won a rushing title his rookie year and probably would've won a second consecutive rushing title had he not served a 6 game suspension in the middle of the season.

Jalen Ramsey is considered to be a top corner in the National Football League and typically covers the #1 WR on the opposing team.

The Cowboys had an opportunity to draft either player 2 years ago and selected Zeke. At the time I really wanted Jalen Ramsey; however, I'm a bit torn now. I think Zeke is extremely important to this team (probably more important than most people think). With the emergence of Chidobe Awuzie, Jourdan Lewis, and Anthony Brown - I feel pretty 'ok' with our secondary, but Ramsey/Awuzie/Lewis & possibly Brown would be stellar in my opinion.

What are your thoughts?
Ramsey. If a guy says Zeke it's just pure Silver and Blue glasses. Now I would have said zeke if there wasn't a life time ban looming at his next mistake. And if he showed better this season when he did play. He just didn't seem to be the same guy as year 1. I get it he's dealing with a lot of stuff. But the fact is he just dudnt look as good

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As for the running game, we'd probably seen about what we saw when Elliott went out. Teams didn't really defend us all that differently, though it affected Dak's option game. Give me a speed WR someplace and I can live with that.

Provided, we actually addressed the lack of talent on defense. To have gotten as close as we got in 2014 only to not be able to stop Rodgers when it counted, and then used the #4 and the #34 overall on an offensive player and a defender who couldn't play for a year and a half was a huge mistake. Give me Lamar Miller or pick your mid-round RB in 2016 and two capable defenders and I like my chances last year better than what we ended up with.

I know everybody loves Elliott and thinks that heresy, but with our OL, we ought to be able to run the football, regardless. We spent a fortune in picks and cap dollars to be able to do so. Our defense? Not so much. We tried to make-do with spit and duct tape and then are surprised each post season we can't 'coach 'em up' and get past Aaron Rodgers and company. No kidding.

It's a difference of opinion. This is one of those issues where reasonable people can disagree.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I would be thrilled if he plays all 16 games.

The Cowboys would have been at least 11-5 minus the Zeke suspension last year. For starters, Dak would've have been sacked eight times against the Falcons because he'd be handing off to Zeke 25-30 times instead.

Sydla

Reaction score
If you took Ramsey.........who's the current RB, 3-down that is? One that keeps defensive coor up at night and takes the pressure off your young QB.

Who knows. Maybe you take Howard in the 4th instead of Tapper, for example.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Ramsey. If a guy says Zeke it's just pure Silver and Blue glasses. Now I would have said zeke if there wasn't a life time ban looming at his next mistake. And if he showed better this season when he did play. He just didn't seem to be the same guy as year 1. I get it he's dealing with a lot of stuff. But the fact is he just dudnt look as good

Zeke. Not because of the so called glasses I don't wear, but because we have our set of young cb's already.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score

Dallas had one of the NFL's most improved pass defenses this year without Ramsey. I like Awuzie, Lewis, and Woods. Ramsey is not impacting the game the way Zeke does behind this line.

I see this like the 1990's- would you rather have Emmitt Smith or Deion Sanders?

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I doubt Ramsey makes a difference on this team. You can believe he would if that takes you to your safe place.

Plus, isn't Ramsey a press corner-type? The Cowboys play so much zone I doubt Ramsey would fit in well here, but I could be wrong.

rkell87

Reaction score
Resigning Murray would have been a terrible idea. He was awful in 2015 (yes, in a bad situation), was good in 2016, and was awful this year and looks pretty much done (gee, at right around age 30: who could've predicted that?) We would have had to pay him way too much and for way too long for maybe 2 years of good production.
He was asking for basically the same contract EE got and he would have had a great year in 2015 if he stayed. He also would most likely have less wear if stayed, and he really didn't look bad this year he split snaps with a younger talented back and that will help prolong his career. Resigning Murray would have been the best move for both the short and long term future of this team. We don't have the cluster**** that 2015 was with Joseph Randell. We would have the best CB in the league and we'd be looking for a fresh RB last year this year or next year.

Should have resigned him.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who knows. Maybe you take Howard in the 4th instead of Tapper, for example.

Yes, maybe, or maybe they end up with Devonte Booker or C.J. Prosise. You are talking about trading what was the surest thing to be an elite RB for the most run dependent offense in the NFL and taking a shot in the dark on landing a mid round pick who will far exceed everyone's expectations. Sure it happens once in awhile, but fans seem to have the notion that it happens all the time, and it really doesn't. The 4th round RB that becomes the foundation of the offense is much more of a rarity than some think.

hornitosmonster

Reaction score
He was asking for basically the same contract EE got and he would have had a great year in 2015 if he stayed. He also would most likely have less wear if stayed, and he really didn't look bad this year he split snaps with a younger talented back and that will help prolong his career. Resigning Murray would have been the best move for both the short and long term future of this team. We don't have the cluster**** that 2015 was with Joseph Randell. We would have the best CB in the league and we'd be looking for a fresh RB last year this year or next year.

Should have resigned him.

He didn't look great this year (was ok early on) and was hurt toward the end f the year. He know he didn't even play last week, right? He 100% lost his starting job in Tennessee