Zeke or Jalen Ramsey 2 years later

bark

Reaction score
Where this argument will get really interesting is around 2nd contract time for both players. Hopefully we will have cashed in on zeke by then.
He will be starting to get a little wear on the tires . Not done but the heavy work load will make a difference.

Hardline

Reaction score
If Zeke played 16 games the Cowboys would've had a back to back rushing champion.
Zeke is an elite RB . When you can get elite at any position you take it.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Preferred EE when we drafted him still do. He did more for our defense in 2016 by keeping them off the field than Ramsey would have on the field. Those 6 games of absence hurt big time this year. Put it this way, both are damned fine players at their respective positions.

rkell87

Reaction score
He didn't look great this year (was ok early on) and was hurt toward the end f the year. He know he didn't even play last week, right? He 100% lost his starting job in Tennessee
He looked good at the beginning of the year when healthy, and flashed late too before injury but that really doesn't concern me because it'd be a whole different story here. There is a legitimate possibility he would have 3 rushing titles by now and we'd be talking about him in the ROH.

Portnoy1

Reaction score
The cowboys have made some questionable draft choices but Zeke is not one of them. They specifically wanted a guy who could impact the entire game. Zeke can play all 3 downs, extend drives and keep the down/distance manageable, keeps the D off the field, and turns fgs (see Morris/McFadden) into TDs.

Ramsey can take away one half of the field, but would find himself in zone a lot more and having to cover a lot longer. Even if he did cover for 4-5 secs, then the QB would simply wear out the other dbs due to lack of pressure. Ramsey is Elite, but his skills and impact would've been wasted here.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I doubt Ramsey makes a difference on this team. You can believe he would if that takes you to your safe place.

Allpro shutdown CBs rarely do, right? It's not like we've got a history of passes getting completed on guys we're trying to cover at the very last minute or anything.

rkell87

Reaction score
If Zeke played 16 games the Cowboys would've had a back to back rushing champion.
Zeke is an elite RB . When you can get elite at any position you take it.
I think the point is that they have both proven to be a elite thus far so which position do you prefer

Sydla

Reaction score
Yes, maybe, or maybe they end up with Devonte Booker or C.J. Prosise. You are talking about trading what was the surest thing to be an elite RB for the most run dependent offense in the NFL and taking a shot in the dark on landing a mid round pick who will far exceed everyone's expectations. Sure it happens once in awhile, but fans seem to have the notion that it happens all the time, and it really doesn't. The 4th round RB that becomes the foundation of the offense is much more of a rarity than some think.

Maybe but I have long been a proponent that you don’t need to invest a high pick in a RB.

If we needed an elite RB to run behind an elite OL to win some games, that tells me maybe we need to rethink our ********* scheme.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How many playoff wins would Ramsey get you? None of us can really answer that.

Meh. One defensive play might have won either of those last two GB games. Maybe he gets you past the Rams this year, too. Or a couple of big plays in the six games this season your #4 overall pick wasn't sitting out on a suspension. Seasons change on such things.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's a difference of opinion. This is one of those issues where reasonable people can disagree.

Yes. There's no way to know. And as much as I hated the pick, Elliott is a hell of a football player, all around. He's a terrific pass blocker (SEA aside). He never fumbles, and I didn't account for his ability to perk up the players around him on offense. He's a football playing dude.

It just kills me to see this team needing defensive help so badly and not doing the obvious things it needs to do to get it. That's an organizational failure from Jerry on down. And I've been *****ing about it since long before 2014 and 2016 where, had we actually address the problem seriously, who knows where the team might have ended up? Both those seasons we had an awful lot of what you need to win playoff football games.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Ramsey in the First. Henry in the second. Hunter or Derrick. That’s what I wanted.

JDSmith

Reaction score
I haven't read any of the responses, so sorry if it's been covered, but if we had taken Ramsey everything would be different. There is absolutely no way the team wins nearly the same number of games last year without Zeke. Dak would have looked like a rookie, Romo would have rushed back and who knows where we'd be now.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe but I have long been a proponent that you don’t need to invest a high pick in a RB.

If we needed an elite RB to run behind an elite OL to win some games, that tells me maybe we need to rethink our ********* scheme.

It's all about the style of offense a team chooses to run. A team that throws 65% of the time doesn't need an elite RB. A team that wants to control the clock and tempo and force defenses to focus less on stopping the pass requires an elite RB. There isn't a once size fits all for every offense.