Zeke should be put on the trade block

Flamma

Reaction score
....because they don't have the defense they once had. Yet they have a top RB and top WR and aren't winning crap. Yet you think we struck gold with Zeke?

Again, show me the last time a stud RB or even WR won a championship for their team. This isn't the 90s anymore.

We're probably going to see it this year with the Rams. Or at least they look like they're making a hell of a run. What the Rams are doing a lot of is play action out of the 11 formation. The only difference between that and the 90s Cowboys is to remove the FB and add a WR, but same basic concept. Play action or give to Gurley and that holds up a lot of defenders. No Gurley and that crap ain't working. That's why Irvin and Harper could get open being the only 2 WRs in the pattern, the other defenders had to make sure Emmitt didn't get the ball.

I understand this isn't ideal in today's game because there are all average defense for the most part. But it can still work and it hides an average quarterback. These Cowboys are not going to have success spreading it out like some of these other teams do with elite or close to elite QBs. We just don't have that QB right now.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
We're probably going to see it this year with the Rams. Or at least they look like they're making a hell of a run. What the Rams are doing a lot of is play action out of the 11 formation. The only difference between that and the 90s Cowboys is to remove the FB and add a WR, but same basic concept. Play action or give to Gurley and that holds up a lot of defenders. No Gurley and that crap ain't working. That's why Irvin and Harper could get open being the only 2 WRs in the pattern, the other defenders had to make sure Emmitt didn't get the ball.

I understand this isn't ideal in today's game because there are all average defense for the most part. But it can still work and it hides an average quarterback. These Cowboys are not going to have success spreading it out like some of these other teams do with elite or close to elite QBs. We just don't have that QB right now.

But Rams don't have a mediocre QB. They are a loaded team at nearly every position.

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Why can't we be the Patriots? And get guys like James White, Rex Burkhead, Sony Michel, etc.

We need backs that can do different things in different situations. I'd take 3 versitle backs over 1 Zeke any day.

Johnny23

Reaction score
Lynch barely did anything in the Super Bowl and had the benefit of a historic defense, I already discussed Rice and he was not a stud in 2012, and LOL Blount....he got put in the dog house in the Super Bowl and they still won.

That's the list?
Jerry Rice/Roger Craig
Marshall Faulk/Torry Holt/Isaac Bruce
Emmitt Smith/Michael Irvin
Terrell Davis/Rod Smith

Come to mind.

New England had Corey Dillion in his last great year no stud wideouts.

New England beat The Rams in 2001.

Indy had moved on from Edgerrin James in 2006. After years of choking in the playoffs.

Bettis was on his last legs in 2005 and people feel some type of way about Hines Ward.

Atlanta choked away Super Bowl 51.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Jerry Rice/Roger Craig
Marshall Faulk/Torry Holt/Isaac Bruce
Emmitt Smith/Michael Irvin
Terrell Davis/Rod Smith

Come to mind.

New England had Corey Dillion in his last great year no stud wideouts.

New England beat The Rams in 2001.

Indy had moved on from Edgerrin James in 2006. After years of choking in the playoffs.

Bettis was on his last legs in 2005 and people feel some type of way about Hines Ward.

Atlanta choked away Super Bowl 51.

*sigh*

The Greatest Show on Turf was good at every level, not just running
49ers won their Super bowls in a completely different era
Cowboys won their super bowl in a completely different era
Elway won his super bowls in a different era
New England won their first Super Bowl by keeping a dynamic offense under 20 points
Indy was a pass first team
Bettis hardly did anything in 2005

You going to show me any Super Bowls from this era that was led by an RB or a wideout?

Johnny23

Reaction score
*sigh*

New England won their first Super Bowl by keeping a dynamic offense under 20 points

You going to show me any Super Bowls from this era that was led by an RB or a wideout?
Every Super Bowl winning team is good at every level sans outliers like the 2000 Ravens or the 2002 Bucs, 2015 Broncos.

Bettis scored a bunch of tds in 2005 and was tye inspirational leader of the team. I even said he was on his last legs.

Football is a cyclical game and the Rams look plenty good this year. So we'll see. We don't have Tom Brady or Billy Boy. That's the constant were you make your argument.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Every Super Bowl winning team is good at every level sans outliers like the 2000 Ravens or the 2002 Bucs, 2015 Broncos.

Bettis scored a bunch of tds in 2005 and was tye inspirational leader of the team. I even said he was on his last legs.

Football is a cyclical game and the Rams look plenty good this year. So we'll see. We don't have Tom Brady or Billy Boy. That's the constant were you make your argument.

Patriots have found ways to win Super Bowls without elite RBs and WRs. Eagles won a Super Bowl without an elite RB or WR. Saints won a Super Bowl without an elite RB. Packers won a Super Bowl without an elite RB or WR.

....that is the discussion here. You're losing context. I have asked, what team was brought to the Super Bowl and WON IT due to an RB or an elite WR?

It doesn't happen. They are luxury positions now. Julio Jones didn't will the Falcons to a Super Bowl win, Brady did. Lynch didn't will the Seahawks to a Super Bowl win, they actually kept the ball away from him in both Super Bowls, you don't keep the ball out of Brady's hands.

You win super bowls by having an elite QB or elite defense. This isn't controversial. Trade Zeke and you can replace his production with 2-3 good backs - just like the Patriots, Eagles, Saints, Packers, etc. have done. It was a wasted pick for a position that doesn't win championships.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Zeke should finish out his rookie contract and bounce. This team will not win with Garrett at the helm.

Johnny23

Reaction score
Patriots have found ways to win Super Bowls without elite RBs and WRs. Eagles won a Super Bowl without an elite RB or WR. Saints won a Super Bowl without an elite RB. Packers won a Super Bowl without an elite RB or WR.

....that is the discussion here. You're losing context. I have asked, what team was brought to the Super Bowl and WON IT due to an RB or an elite WR?

It doesn't happen. They are luxury positions now. Julio Jones didn't will the Falcons to a Super Bowl win, Brady did. Lynch didn't will the Seahawks to a Super Bowl win, they actually kept the ball away from him in both Super Bowls, you don't keep the ball out of Brady's hands.

You win super bowls by having an elite QB or elite defense. This isn't controversial. Trade Zeke and you can replace his production with 2-3 good backs - just like the Patriots, Eagles, Saints, Packers, etc. have done. It was a wasted pick for a position that doesn't win championships.
Historically speaking The Dallas Cowboys haven't won a Super Bowl without an elite running back.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Historically speaking The Dallas Cowboys haven't won a Super Bowl without an elite running back.

....this isn't the 70s and 90s anymore. I don't understand what is difficult to get here. It's a passing league where you can average 8 yards through the air while you average 4 on the ground along with penalties and such favoring the passing game.

Just because we are incapable of winning a Super Bowl in this era doesn't take away from the pattern - elite QBs and elite defenses get you trophies, elite RBs get you a few years of highlight reels before they fade.

Johnny23

Reaction score
....this isn't the 70s and 90s anymore. I don't understand what is difficult to get here. It's a passing league where you can average 8 yards through the air while you average 4 on the ground along with penalties and such favoring the passing game.

Just because we are incapable of winning a Super Bowl in this era doesn't take away from the pattern - elite QBs and elite defenses get you trophies, elite RBs get you a few years of highlight reels before they fade.
There's nothing difficult to get. We don't have an elite defense or QB.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
And TO didn't win us crap. Nor did TO. win any other team anything.

Show me the last stud WR or RB that won their team a Super Bowl.
So they should get rid of all their good WRs too? That should work

erm, wait.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
So they should get rid of all their good WRs too? That should work

erm, wait.

I would have never traded a first rounder for a WR, that's for sure. I don't view the WR position much better than the RB position.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
*sigh*

When are you going to get the fact that football is a team sport?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
When are you going to get the fact that football is a team sport?

Then when are you not okay with ridding of a player at one of the least valuable positions so we can load up at other positions and create a better team?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If you can get real value for him and you are staring at a situation where you might be starting over at QB and possibly the coach?

Absolutely it would be wise to trade him. We are seeing now that Zeke alone can't win games for us. What does holding onto Elliott for the next 2-3 years do for you if you are breaking in a new QB?

People get too emotionally attached to players, coaches, etc.

No people have their own views. It is your view to get rid of the RB and the QB not everyone will share that view.