Zeke still fast

quickccc

Reaction score
If you OBJECTIVELY look at the video I posted above...you can see zeke running away from people. This notion that YOU "can;t see it on the field" is because a) you either don;t want to or b) you can;t admit zeke is still a viable NFL RB.

The very first play zeke BURSTS through the line for a TD.
The second play....he runs past 3-4 guys before getting engulfed.
3rd play...he powers into the goal line even with ZERO push or hole by the o-line.
4th play...makes a cut back and powers into the goal line.
5th play....shows some speed getting to the next level and powers FORWARD for a couple extra
6th play...powers into BARELY a hole for the score.

and this 7th play...shows how much full of horse ship you are. Zeke makes a cut, squeaks through a decent hole..and outruns the defense for a huge gain.

I've had about enough spelling this out...I SEE IT ON THE FIELD. If you don't...just admit you hate him and want him gone...but not for the reasons you claim...because this video shows you are wrong.

LOL .... you did all of that compiling " highlights" vids of hand picked best videos ?

here's a clue ... . It's a reason why they called them " highlights " ... Lol

Even Phil Pozderac, Babe Laufenberg and Taco Charlton have " highlights" ..
Try a full scale all-22 session, sumthin that tells the full season tale, than just the good stuff only.

quickccc

Reaction score
No you wouldn't.. and the reason you wouldn't is because of what I stated. Now that he's older and has more miles on him it takes him longer to get to top speed. Rookie Zeke could go from zero to 60 mph (well 22 mph) in the blink of an eye.

The current version probably need 25-30 yards to get anywhere close. But as I have stated many times even though no one wants to listen, human beings don't get to top speed until somewhere between 40 and 60 yards. All the talk of guys getting to top speed "in just a few strides" is just mediot-speak. It doesn't happen.

But it's clear some guys are able to get closer to top speed sooner than others.. That's why when you watch sprints the guy who is leading at 40 meters is almost never the same guy who is leading at 75 meters and still another guy comes through at the end. Zeke is taking longer to get to top speed now than he did a few years ago.

Meaning the guys chasing him now have a larger window to be able to get to him. It is what it is. I'm not here to debate whether he is declining. If he is it's up to the coaching staff to get the most out of him and Pollard. That means resting them when needed, better blocking, fewer runs up the gut and maybe most importantly, a lot less blitz pickup.. I have more faith in the ability of the backs than I do in the coaching staff to do those things.

If he was fast, if he had recaptured his burst, if his speed was a threat to defenses.. you would see it.
Either you have it .. or you don't.

It's a reason why Zeke is trying to shed pounds and work on elusive moods .. he's aware of the decline talk and trying to revamp his body to recapture that burst. Bless him for trying .. but

Even with all of that you're saying about burst - acceleration it's not accurate- it depends upon the player.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL .... you did all of that compiling " highlights" vids of hand picked best videos ?

here's a clue ... . It's a reason why they called them " highlights " ... Lol

Even Phil Pozderac, Babe Laufenberg and Taco Charlton have " highlights" ..
Try a full scale all-22 session, sumthin that tells the full season tale, than just the good stuff only.
Ah...you wanted me to do a play by play on a full season?

You seem fairly well acquainted with zeke's lowlights. I wanted to remind you...with proof for your very eyes...zeke still has speed to outrun defenders.

Not good enough for ya? Mkay. Suit yourself.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
As you yell? LOL.

I did yell....it's unbelievable....how people dump on zeke so hard.
Most fans that criticize Elliott understand that it's not 2016 and the hype machine needs to downshift.
Some are a little too tart for Elliott fans, I get it.
It's not unbelievable, you and a few other Elliott supporters just won't budge. And that's fine by me! Keeps things interesting.
I for one can't get excited for a 4th overall RB who was extended a ton that averages mediocre production. We could get that cheaper, but here we are.

quickccc

Reaction score
Ah...you wanted me to do a play by play on a full season?

You seem fairly well acquainted with zeke's lowlights. I wanted to remind you...with proof for your very eyes...zeke still has speed to outrun defenders.

Not good enough for ya? Mkay. Suit yourself.

nope .. not at all. ..don't waste yourself.
it's not about highlights and lowlights.. it's about reality.
And what's both alarming and unfortunate is Zeke is still in prime years- he's not even 30 yrs of age. Only 26 yrs.

quickccc

Reaction score
Elliott isn't the great Earl Campbell. Few absorb that kind of contact and last long enough for greatness. It actually cut Earl's career short, he just lasted long enough to cement his status as an all time great.

And don't forget what kind " carpeted cement " playing surface they played back in those ole Campbell school days...

RonnieT24

Reaction score
If he was fast, if he had recaptured his burst, if his speed was a threat to defenses.. you would see it.
Either you have it .. or you don't.

It's a reason why Zeke is trying to shed pounds and work on elusive moods .. he's aware of the decline talk and trying to revamp his body to recapture that burst. Bless him for trying .. but

Even with all of that you're saying about burst - acceleration it's not accurate- it depends upon the player.

I am not in the camp that believes he has recaptured his burst. I simply believe, based on numerous statements by numerous athletes over time and based on my own experience that barring a major injury that restricts range of motion, strength or some such your top end speed does not leave your body until your mid 30's. What goes in the late 20s and early 30's are quickness, stamina and recoverability. So you are less explosive, you get tired faster and you recuperate more slowly. What that translates to is that a guy who could run a 4.4 in his early 20's could do so 25-30 times over a the course of game with little sign of fatigue. That same guy in his late 20's can still run a 4.4 but finds that he can only do it 15-20 times a game and then he starts needing oxygen. Then in his 30's that guy can only reach that level of speed 4-5 times a game and he has to really pick his spots. He's still as fast as he ever was.. but he can't repeatedly heat it up like he used to. Over that span of time he will also experience that it takes him longer to reach top speed. Again, very little dropoff at the top end if any, but the time and effort it takes to get there increases and the amount of time he can sustain it decreases over time.

To your final point though, of course "it depends on the player." Everything about the human condition is subject to the individual. But certain truths and rules apply to all of us.

The other thing I should mention is that you should not poo poo the effort to regain quickness like you do. It is absolutely possible to do so and it has little to do with weight loss. It's about retraining your mind to send the signals to your body that what getting to top speed felt like at 21 will be different at 25 and then 30. We all experience this to a degree as we age. It takes longer to get out of bed as we age. It takes longer to loosen up when we stretch/warm up for physical activity. And when running it takes more effort to get to top speed. But we can still get there. Eventually. Through training we can shorten "eventually" though. We can train ourselves to explode out of the blocks and drive for speed a little differently and as a result get closer to where we "used to be." Maybe not all the way.. I am about to be 62 years old. I can't run as fast as I did when I was 32.. but I can get damn close if I focus. In my early 50's I coached high school football.. I would regularly line up and run some wind sprints with the kids during camp. There was about 35 kids on the team.. Two of them could outrun me.. Two.. They were all shocked the first time. And even the second time.. But after the third time they quit talkin smack and quit challenging me..

I relay all this information not to toot my own horn but simply to say, I know a little about speed, running and aging as a sprinter. No my body has not been through NFL wars.. but again, some rules of the human condition apply to all of us.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Oh yeah, great point. The Dome had to be brutal.

I got to play one game on Astroturf in college. It is a fate I would not wish upon my worst enemy. It felt great and fast and you felt like you could run like the wind on it.. Then you fell or got tackled on it. That's when you realized you were playing on concrete. I can't imagine playing 8-10 games on that crap every year for 5-6 years. It's a wonder any of those guys is still walking.

quickccc

Reaction score
Yeah I am constantly amazed at the number of people who don't understand the value of a chain mover at running back. A guy who can keep his team out of 2nd and 3rd and long and who can convert 3rd and short to 1st and 10 is worth his weight in gold.

Throw in a guy who will sacrifice his body in pass protection and you simply do what you have to to keep that guy. I'm not here to debate whether Zeke is worth his contract. Whether he's performing to that level or not is immaterial at this point. He DID earn that contract by being the best back in football for three years.

And no one will convince me that had we not shifted into a pass all the time offense he would certainly be performing at closer to that level than what we see now. If people want to put some of that on him and his "decline" then fine.. that's fair.. What's not fair is to blame him because the OC won't give him the ball and will only give it to him up the gut behind a struggling offensive line when he does. That's not on him and I refuse to get mad at him over things he has no control over.

That value of a chain mover was an added luxury when they drafted Elliott 4th overall.

Chain moving and bell cow is not what made him special, that’s not why he was drafted so extremely high for
and that’s not why he was re-signed on as the highest paid back at that time.

Chain movers don’t scare players... don't scare defenses and doesn't scare DC’s, .. speed does.
When you have to constantly be P’s and Q’s eggshells with just about every play because of breakaway speed guys. ..
And Wil McClay made mentioned that it was his speed and burst that they liked so much, along with his ability to break tackles.

You can get methodical, chain moving bell cows much later in the draft.
You can even get guys that are breakaway types ala Derrick Henry, Nick Chubb and even Alvin Kamara
Even wonderful change of pace types such as Tony Pollard.

I do agree with you that Zeke earned his market value with that re-signed contract.
Some here talk that "everyone knew it was a bad contract," .. which I don’t buy at all cuz there was no
Indication of a decline before he re-signed. They’re just saying that now because of how it turned out.

And I’ve already expressed many of many times over here, why I thought was the reason for his decline.

quickccc

Reaction score
I got to play one game on Astroturf in college. It is a fate I would not wish upon my worst enemy. It felt great and fast and you felt like you could run like the wind on it.. Then you fell or got tackled on it. That's when you realized you were playing on concrete. I can't imagine playing 8-10 games on that crap every year for 5-6 years. It's a wonder any of those guys is still walking.

Even worse ,.. many of those guys are suffering CTE like related symptoms because of that.

quickccc

Reaction score
I still don't understand the thought process behind taking this guy. They let DeMarco Murray go beaucse they didn't want to pay big money to a RB. Then they proceed to use a top 4 pick on an RB and pay him big money. So many studs at premium positions were available Ramsey, Buckner, and Stanley. This is like wasting money on a gas guzzling sports car instead of paying your mortgage. Completely irresponsible.

And what did Demarco Murray become once he left here as a UFA ?

A bust in Philly and just decent- serviceable in Tennessee before Henry was given the reins.
Even with his club record single season rushing record, Cowboys thought of Murray as a serviceable back only.
They did not see anything superficial or unique about him to commit a big, long term contract towards him.

BTW, Zeke was himself was one of those premium studs very early in his career. He's led the NFL twice in rushing and opposing teams
was terrified of having to play against him,

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Most fans that criticize Elliott understand that it's not 2016 and the hype machine needs to downshift.
Some are a little too tart for Elliott fans, I get it.
It's not unbelievable, you and a few other Elliott supporters just won't budge. And that's fine by me! Keeps things interesting.
I for one can't get excited for a 4th overall RB who was extended a ton that averages mediocre production. We could get that cheaper, but here we are.
That's where you are wrong. I am on record saying the holdout sucked I woulda let him sit. On record that he came back out of shape. On record he will never be 2016 ....very few are as a rookie let alone later on. I am also on record the TOny Pollard needs more involvement in our offense let alone the running game

As far as meeting expectations of a contract....I couldn't care any less what ANY player makes or doesn't make.

There's too much wrong with the rest of the offense to proclaim zeke finished.
I support every player thaty wears the Star. Of course some more than others. That's only natural.

I hope this clarifies my position for you. Anything is straight up lie.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
nope .. not at all. ..don't waste yourself.
it's not about highlights and lowlights.. it's about reality.
And what's both alarming and unfortunate is Zeke is still in prime years- he's not even 30 yrs of age. Only 26 yrs.
It appears we see things differently, That's fine. My hope is we support all of our players and hoipe for the best rather than call for their heads. Yes...this applies to Dak and everyone.

There's probably only one player EVER....that I eventually did not support. Jaylon's quick decline....was painful to watch. Not his fault....just lacked the physical capability. (while making a big show of very average performances).

quickccc

Reaction score
It appears we see things differently, That's fine. My hope is we support all of our players and hoipe for the best rather than call for their heads. Yes...this applies to Dak and everyone.

There's probably only one player EVER....that I eventually did not support. Jaylon's quick decline....was painful to watch. Not his fault....just lacked the physical capability. (while making a big show of very average performances).

I have my views about Jaylon Smith, as i thought it was more exposure rather than a decline.
But that's another story for another time and discussion for an ex-player, an ex-Cowboys player, that coincidentally no team in the NFL seems interested in

RonnieT24

Reaction score
That value of a chain mover was an added luxury when they drafted Elliott 4th overall.

Chain moving and bell cow is not what made him special, that’s not why he was drafted so extremely high for
and that’s not why he was re-signed on as the highest paid back at that time.

Chain movers don’t scare players... don't scare defenses and doesn't scare DC’s, .. speed does.
When you have to constantly be P’s and Q’s eggshells with just about every play because of breakaway speed guys. ..
And Wil McClay made mentioned that it was his speed and burst that they liked so much, along with his ability to break tackles.

You can get methodical, chain moving bell cows much later in the draft.
You can even get guys that are breakaway types ala Derrick Henry, Nick Chubb and even Alvin Kamara
Even wonderful change of pace types such as Tony Pollard.

I do agree with you that Zeke earned his market value with that re-signed contract.
Some here talk that "everyone knew it was a bad contract," .. which I don’t buy at all cuz there was no
Indication of a decline before he re-signed. They’re just saying that now because of how it turned out.

And I’ve already expressed many of many times over here, why I thought was the reason for his decline.

I think people get too caught up in blaming Zeke for that which he cannot control. He can't call outside running plays for himself nor can he block the backside end or the playside inside backer for himself. Zeke has been doing what the Cowboys have been asking of him. About the middle of the 2020 season I came to the conclusion that Moore does not want that 2016-2018 version of Zeke in his offense. He does not want a guy that totes it 20 times and catches another 3-5 times. He doesn't want to wear defenses down and he doesn't want to be bothered with devising good blocking schemes for the run game. None of that is Zeke's fault. The Cowboys signed him to a deal that warranted featuring him in the offense - to the tune of 300+ carries and 50-60 catches per season. Then they immediately handed the keys to the offense to a guy who doesn't have the patience to play that way. As a result the Cowboys have IMHO wasted three prime years of Zeke's career.. when he could have been still tearing up the league and winning us games. Instead they turned him into a glorified fullback and told him to run it up the middle for most of his 12-15 carries a game and then told him to pass block 35-40 times a game. I 100% agree with those who say you could get that player cheaper. What I don't agree with is that that is all Zeke is capable of.

At this point I am hoping they do release him at the end of this season and he gets picked up by a team that values the run game and will give him the ball. Can you imagine what Shanahan would do with Zeke!?!? What would the Rams look like with a legit horse in the backfield? There are plenty of teams that would be downright scary if they could get even 90-95% of what Zeke was in the fold. But that's a conversation for another day. For at least one more year he's my favorite running back on my favorite team. As such I want him to friggin ball out!!!

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
:rolleyes: Zeke is still fast? Show me don't tell me. Be a difference-maker. The best thing Zeke has done lately is picking up blitzes; being a blocker.