Zeke the Drive Killer

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
That is not true, the point is getting use out of the money you have to pay him. If you cut his plays by 25 percent, there is lots of stuff he can do. He will be a lot fresher. When the cowboys are ahead and the other team knows they are going to run, he can take the beating, and like you said he can take the beating in short yardage
Nah.

Force feeding an unproductive player the ball (except in those limited situations I named) to get perceived ROI out of him is about the worst way to run your offense and team.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Nah.

Force feeding an unproductive player the ball (except in those limited situations I named) to get perceived ROI out of him is about the worst way to run your offense and team.
It is not about ROI. It is about what his contract is, roster, and what you can get out of him for 1 more year.

making it worth it for 2 more years would be ideal

StarLord

Reaction score
9.5 million was the franchise tag for rb's

zeke 11 million, and franchising pollard is 9.5 million, If you cut zeke you are paying 20.5 million for 1 rb

If you keep zeke at 16 million and sign Davis to a cheap deal you are paying around 17-18 million for 2 rb's

I think that is a tuff call. I would franchise shultz until fergason is ready, and let pollard walk
No offense, but I feel like you just recommended the opposite of what to do. Why keep Zeke and let Pollard walk? There's no logic there at all. So we're going to eat some dead money on Zeke.. that was going to happen if he was an all-pro or a dumpster fire; and he's closer to a dumpster fire. If the choice is Zeke for 5 million, and letting Pollard walk or keeping Pollard and cutting Zeke.. I'm taking the later.

Schultz has sure hands, definitely. But he's just slightly more than JAG. Fergason and Pendershot will be fine. Use some of his money on a reasonable RB contract on Pollard, and address the Lines.

HungryLion

Reaction score
It is not about ROI. It is about what his contract is, roster, and what you can get out of him for 1 more year.

making it worth it for 2 more years would be ideal

The problem is Zeke isn’t worth it. Did you ever consider the coaches can’t “make him worth it” because he is physically done.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Jan 16
@
TB
Jan 8
@
WAS
Dec 29
@
TEN
Tampa has a great run stopping defense and just because Zek didn't go for many yards last night doesn't mean he's washed up! He made a couple of blocks last night that saved Prescot and freed up Pollard to gain some nice yards. Is Zek worth millions against the salary cap???? No, but he's the true team gamer when he's on the field.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
There's little doubt that the running game is just better with Pollard. You can even argue that Davis should get some more touches.

Zeke's quickness and overall track speed are just sapped. Sad that it's the reality at only 27, but he's a liability when he's on the field with the exception of short-yardage situations.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Why would you want him for two more years?

Spotrac says this off-season is the most cost-effective time to get rid of him.
I never wanted to resign him. I wanted to take his 5th year option and maybe franchise him, and have him run into the ground by then.

The team needs 3 rb's. Including what you pay zeke next year (with or without cutting him), how do you propose they fill out their 3 spots, what draft picks, and how much of their salary cap?

Draft picks and the unknown can be expensive too

I have no attachment to him, but I would have to see the draft first, and if they resign davis, or other moves.

Paying his contract next year does get you a player, if they cut him and lose zeke, and the 10 million you still owe him doesn't allow you to pay another player, you are losing 2 players and still have to replace the rb spot

Last edited:

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tampa has a great run stopping defense and just because Zek didn't go for many yards last night doesn't mean he's washed up! He made a couple of blocks last night that saved Prescot and freed up Pollard to gain some nice yards. Is Zek worth millions against the salary cap???? No, but he's the true team gamer when he's on the field.
Its too subtle of a thing for some people to get thst dak and tony rely on zeke for their success and relative health.
If we need zeke gone, fine. Just admit you may not get that expertise or willingnes from the next guy.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I never wanted to resign him. I wanted to take his 5th year option and maybe franchise him, and have him run into the ground by then.

The team needs 3 rb's. Including what you pay zeke next year (with or without cutting him), how do you propose they fill out their 3 spots, what draft picks, and how much of their salary cap?

Draft picks and the unknown can be expensive too

I have no attachment to him, but I would have to see the draft first, and if they resign davis, or other moves.

Paying his contract next year does get you a player, if they cut him and lose zeke, and the 10 million you still owe him doesn't allow you to pay another player, you are losing 2 players and still have to replace the rb spot
I think what you’re missing is that what Zeke gives you on the field is easily replaceable by a middling NFL-caliber running back.

To be paying him millions of dollars even in a reduced role is cost prohibitive. He is not a productive NFL running back.

I would happily take my chances in free agency or the Draft to try and replace him.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I think what you’re missing is that what Zeke gives you on the field is easily replaceable by a middling NFL-caliber running back.

To be paying him millions of dollars even in a reduced role is cost prohibitive. He is not a productive NFL running back.

Zeke has 73 yards over his last 40 Carries. It is atrocious. Absolutely atrocious.

Most fullbacks could fare better.

dsturgeon

Reaction score

I would happily take my chances in free agency or the Draft to try and replace him.

Was jason peters productive for you this year? He was very important in a reduced role. There is a big difference between his 2 million contract and zekes, but zeke is on the books.

Zeke was not productive when looked at for the whole year, but he was very productive in a lot of games. Not just in ypc but in a variety of roles, and it is hard to believe they couldn't get valued production out of him in a full number 2 role.

Like I said, I have no attachment with him, but pre draft and free agency, I am for keeping him.

I don't want to sign another high priced rb in tony pollard. Finish the zeke mistake and keep it cheap, there are a lot of important positions with high quality players that need to be signed in the next few years.

Nav22

Reaction score
It will be an unpopular move by most of the fan base, but Zeke needs to be released.

The question is, will the Jones' clan have the you know what to do it?
You really think it would be an unpopular move?

I don't know a single Cowboys or NFL fan who doesn't know that Pollard's our best RB, despite the Cowboys marketing/PR department's best efforts.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was looking great there for a bit during the regular season, then I don't know what the heck happened.
At no point this season or any season recently has Zeke looked great.

He is shot. If your OL is dominating and creating huge holes he can rumble forward in that space. Who the heck couldn't? He's not even league average anymore and should not be here next year. This has to happen if you want to improve the offense. He's an albatross at this point.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Anyone suggesting that we should keep Zeke at 11 million in base salary next year is crazy. IMHO you could make a very strong case that he is not worth it for 1 million. He is only going to get worse. He is not suddenly going to get any better by magic. It is one thing to be hurting your team with a terribly contract. It is just plain crazy to have the terrible contract, get playing time, and play terrible.

dsturgeon

Reaction score

Team total rushing 8th 2298 (Pollard 1007 Zeke 876 Davis 161)
Team total passing 12th 3911
Total yards per game 3rd 425

Not counting Dak, the cowboys went for 2k rushing. I think they can get near there with Davis/Zeke, Davis/drafted player, etc. But zeke knows the offense, and they shouldnt pay another rb in pollard

I would rather pay a young up and coming WR than to pay pollard and still owe zeke dead money

dsturgeon

Reaction score
There might be a big difference in a, I am a 25 year old running back going for my last shot at a huge contract in tony pollard, to a rb who received a big contract and now wants to protect his body and remain productive for years.

He has been steady over the years in having a high YPC, but it is not hard to drop a 1-2 yards over a year or 2 when you are financially secure.

I would actually bet on him keeping the ypc in the top few spots for the next few years, but I still wouldn't pay him