Zeke the Drive Killer

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Was jason peters productive for you this year? He was very important in a reduced role. There is a big difference between his 2 million contract and zekes, but zeke is on the books.

Zeke was not productive when looked at for the whole year, but he was very productive in a lot of games. Not just in ypc but in a variety of roles, and it is hard to believe they couldn't get valued production out of him in a full number 2 role.

Like I said, I have no attachment with him, but pre draft and free agency, I am for keeping him.

I don't want to sign another high priced rb in tony pollard. Finish the zeke mistake and keep it cheap, there are a lot of important positions with high quality players that need to be signed in the next few years.
Lol, what?

Peters is on a 1-year deal. The cowboys owe him nothing in 2023. How does that relate to Zeke’s situation?

Why would you keep a washed RB on the roster. Then, to make matters worse, pay him a contract 10x his actual value?

You can literally find a rookie free agent that would give you better production and potentially value (playing special teams) than Zeke.

If Zeke would take a pay cut at roughly 1/5th to 1/6th the present contract value I’d have him back, but the players union would never allow that to happen.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Lol, what?

Peters is on a 1-year deal. The cowboys owe him nothing in 2023. How does that relate to Zeke’s situation?

Why would you keep a washed RB on the roster. Then, to make matters worse, pay him a contract 10x his actual value?

You can literally find a rookie free agent that would give you better production and potentially value (playing special teams) than Zeke.

If Zeke would take a pay cut at roughly 1/5th to 1/6th the present contract value I’d have him back, but the players union would never allow that to happen.
I mentioned peters because he is old and washed up and couldn't play the whole game, but he was still a major part in the cowboys getting to the playoffs. if they keep zeke he can still make a major contribution to the team.

You are going with major unknowns. If they draft those replacements or sign free agents, and it is worth it to cut zeke, then fine.

It's a bad spot the cowboys are in. An overpaid rb with a large dead money cap hit, a young superstar who will most likely be paid towards the top of the league, and nothing else.

CoachD

Reaction score
Unfortunately, Zeke has very little to offer, and to decline this fast is legendary.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I mentioned peters because he is old and washed up and couldn't play the whole game, but he was still a major part in the cowboys getting to the playoffs. if they keep zeke he can still make a major contribution to the team.

You are going with major unknowns. If they draft those replacements or sign free agents, and it is worth it to cut zeke, then fine.

It's a bad spot the cowboys are in. An overpaid rb with a large dead money cap hit, a young superstar who will most likely be paid towards the top of the league, and nothing else.
I don;t normally get into the crap with money...just cheap pretend GM's do that.

But zeke is a critical part of our "infrastructure". He does more than meets the eye (on his stat sheet). If this o-line / TE group doesn;t improve, zeke being gone will hurt more than pretend GM experts realize.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Unfortunately, Zeke has very little to offer, and to decline this fast is legendary.
We asked him to do more than other super star RB's. Now we pay the price.

Maybe he'll go to a team where he doesn't have to play O-line blocking. And one that actually HAS a blocking o-line and TE.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Yeah, that’s NFL roster building. You can’t annually put together a team based on only knowns and fear of the unknown. That’s what you have coaches and scouts for.

Gaede

Reaction score
Hate to see it but Zeke needs about 5 carries a game. Goal line only, really. There's simply no way we can field a winning team next year with him getting the bulk of carries.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Yea, watching him last night it was just night and day difference from Pollard.

We need to keep him off the field as much as possible and do everything we can to cut ties in the offseason.

ICP

Reaction score
You have to wonder how many downs we will waste vs SF running Zeke up the middle for 2 or less yards

cnuball21

Reaction score
he is basically the most expensive fullback in NFL history.

I hear people talking about a paycut but that doesn’t help, he’s still be overpaid.

Draft a mid round rookie who will make 1/10 of what Zeke makes and you get more production:

basel90

Reaction score
it is almost crazy kellen moore gave zeke the same amount of snaps as he did to pollard. If he does the same against the niners , they will lose

catskillthunder

Reaction score
There are two versions of Zeke.
  • OL blocking back in pass situations
  • RB that averaged 2.5 ypc down the stretch and 2.1 ypc in last nights game
In any event, at his price point, we cannot afford to have a 16m dollar RB that in his current form is only good for Pass Pro

Cmac

Reaction score
The stupidity never ends.
The effort extended by this thread.....after a win. Can we get this same effort on the board for Maher's kicking performance (last night) or Diggs tackling (all season)? Too funny.

This reminds me of Zeke coming out against the Jets a few years ago, due to KMoore's shuffling system, followed by TPollard fumbling on the next play.....guess who got blamed for the fumble on this board? Too funny.

basel90

Reaction score
I hear people talking about a paycut but that doesn’t help, he’s still be overpaid.

Draft a mid round rookie who will make 1/10 of what Zeke makes and you get more production:
fully agree. I hope the joneses are not just lookihng at zeke for jersey sales and emotional attachments etc. He has to go ...

what worries me is jerry saying on the radio a couple of months ago that Zeke is the most important player on that offense and makes the whole offense tick !! that there could be why jerry cannot figure out how to build a SB roster for the past 27 years

Blackspider214

Reaction score
It will be an unpopular move by most of the fan base, but Zeke needs to be released.

The question is, will the Jones' clan have the you know what to do it?
By most? I'm pretty sure most of the fanbase is ready for him to go by now. He has nothing left. He's been a bell cow his whole career going back to Ohio St and there just isn't much tread left on his tires. He got a little boost this year since Pollard was there to carry a lot of the load but his time is nearing end here. He really hasn't been the same since he got his extension a few years early.

Yoshimitsu

Lurch
Reaction score
Zeke gave his all and was ran into the ground the first four years. Dude literally carried this team on his back. He isn't what he once was but the disrespect. I expect it from our fanbase though. Just like LVE. Now everyone is fake loving him.