Zekes accuser not required to be at hearing

roughneck266

Reaction score
I'm really starting to believe that the NFL could careless if Zeke is guilty or not. To satisfy the various groups that have criticized the NFL's approach to domestic violence to date, the organization needed a high profile player to make an example. Zeke fit that bill to the T. Now that they have him, they will dig in come what may. I have no doubts whatsoever that this appeal will be denied.

So does anyone know how the injunction works. May as well discuss it now, because as far as I'm concerned the denial at this point is a foregone conclusion.
If actual guilt made any difference at all, this would have died when the DA didn't prosecute. Really as simple as that.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
mrwrong+(2).tiff
Well earned name

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Before this, I was not in favor of lawyering up as far as possible, mainly because it might affect Elliott's availability.

Now, since it is very clear that the NFL is intent on being corrupt and abusing their powers, sue away.

Just out of general principles. Bleed it out as far as it goes. Can't take that kind of screw job.

diefree666

Reaction score
The NFL has labeled Zeke Elliot a woman beater. I think Defamation is the way he should go; go right to court on that and ignore the whole CBA situation.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
The Rotoworld blurb on the Elliott case said the appeal won't be heard until Sept 1st

Did anyone else see this?

There is no way he misses Week One if that is the case...... it took the NFL 5 weeks to return the decision with Brady

erod

Reaction score
The NFL has labeled Zeke Elliot a woman beater. I think Defamation is the way he should go; go right to court on that and ignore the whole CBA situation.
That's fine, but he'd better be 100% innocent. A true trial could get really ugly for him if not.

diefree666

Reaction score
That's fine, but he'd better be 100% innocent. A true trial could get really ugly for him if not.

you keep saying that; does not make it true.

all zeke has to show is that the evidence is very questionable and that for anyone to claim otherwise shows an agenda or bias that makes the whole thing a mockery.

Which is what we actually have here. There is a reason the DA never even filed charges; he knew (despite his claims recently) that there was NO way a court would convict Zeke due to what the accuser had done as regards lying and making threats of her own; and the contradictory so called physical evidence (how to tell the difference between what happened in her cat fight with another woman and what DV abuse look like)

lockster

Reaction score
I'd be thrilled if Zeke sued the nfl and it resulted them in having to disband the whole league over the illegal set up as the league is now.

lockster

Reaction score
I'd be thrilled if Zeke sued the nfl and it resulted them in having to disband the whole league over the illegal set up as the league is now.

Plankton

Reaction score
The Rotoworld blurb on the Elliott case said the appeal won't be heard until Sept 1st

Did anyone else see this?

There is no way he misses Week One if that is the case...... it took the NFL 5 weeks to return the decision with Brady

It's wrong. Elliott is taking off next Monday/Tuesday from practice to attend the hearing.

The reason why it took so long with Brady is that it was done well ahead of opening day. Brady's appeal hearing was in June, and the results were given in July. They will look to have Elliott's case settled prior to opening day, most likely by September 2.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
It's wrong. Elliott is taking off next Monday/Tuesday from practice to attend the hearing.

The reason why it took so long with Brady is that it was done well ahead of opening day. Brady's appeal hearing was in June, and the results were given in July. They will look to have Elliott's case settled prior to opening day, most likely by September 2.
It all seems conveniently rushed....... I still expect EE to go with the Nuclear Option and drag it into Fed Court

I suspect Henderson will knock it down to 3-4 games to try and dissuade EE from appealing

Plankton

Reaction score
It all seems conveniently rushed....... I still expect EE to go with the Nuclear Option and drag it into Fed Court

I suspect Henderson will knock it down to 3-4 games to try and dissuade EE from appealing

I don't think the NFL will budge, and Zeke will be forced to get an injunction to expose this clown show for what it is. No guarantee that he gets it, though. But, the NFL gave him a huge opening by not allowing his legal team access to their notes on Thompson's interview.

jordan4vols

Reaction score
Just something to chew on...

What if the league wanted to seem tough on DV because of public perception and high profile player. So they lay the law down but at the same time lay the ground work for said player to get suspension overturned in court. (Goodell and Henderson not speaking with Thompson, refusing to bring her or her documents into appeal etc). Could be overturned in court fairly easily under fundamental fairness so in the end...

1. League seems tough on DV
2. Zeke wins through court system so games played are not affected.
3. (And maybe most important) players remember this at next cba and give up guaranteed contracts etc to remove all powerful commissioner power.

It's one big giant long strung out conspiracy

Don Corleone

Reaction score

What if the league wanted to seem tough on DV because of public perception and high profile player. So they lay the law down but at the same time lay the ground work for said player to get suspension overturned in court. (Goodell and Henderson not speaking with Thompson, refusing to bring her or her documents into appeal etc). Could be overturned in court fairly easily under fundamental fairness so in the end...

3. (And maybe most important) players remember this at next cba and give up guaranteed contracts etc to remove all powerful commissioner power.

That seems way too complicated for Goodell's pea brain.

joseephuss

Reaction score

Having this overturned in the courts would set a bad precedent for the NFL. It would be tough to take any future punishments they give out for DV seriously if the Elliott case is completely overturned.

Also, if the players had a chance to get guaranteed contracts, I'd bet they would sacrifice even more power to the commissioner.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Juries are still bound by law. An extreme and admittedly absurd example is that another guy is convicted of a crime but Goodell decides it was an NFL guy who did it and suspends. Using the position you are taking, Goody could do that with impunity.

Sadly, yes. Though, it would be difficult from a PR perspective to get away with it.