Zeke's most alarming stat the last few years - Is it over?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I judge them as I see them. across the board. I am not in love with any player, going gaga and making excuses for them. Zeke was below average last year. there are no excuses. seems like you are throwing your morals and ethical foritude out the door because you have a man crush on zeke. you are very biased. lover
I think injury is a valid "excuse". If you look at the difference between 1st half of the season and after the minny game getting that ankle rolled. He was absoluely NOT "avereage" before...and quite average or less after. You can call in manlove if you want...but that shows your own bias. Yes sir...you got em. You can judge others so easily but not yourself. And you lecture ME about "morals". Please...dude.

The center getting steamrolled into the QB before the handoff...okay fine...we won't count that "excuse".

An OC that can't design an effective running game with two brilliant, complimentary RB's...and head coach who claimed "hands off"....okay sure. Not an excuse.

But for Dak it's a "team game".

"biased lover"? "man crush"? Using innuendo verbiage shows your morals.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I think injury is a valid "excuse". If you look at the difference between 1st half of the season and after the minny game getting that ankle rolled. He was absoluely NOT "avereage" before...and quite average or less after. You can call in manlove if you want...but that shows your own bias. Yes sir...you got em. You can judge others so easily but not yourself. And you lecture ME about "morals". Please...dude.

The center getting steamrolled into the QB before the handoff...okay fine...we won't count that "excuse".

An OC that can't design an effective running game with two brilliant, complimentary RB's...and head coach who claimed "hands off"....okay sure. Not an excuse.

But for Dak it's a "team game".

"biased lover"? "man crush"? Using innuendo verbiage shows your morals.
wait. you judge me...and then I do the same to you and you are objecting to being judged and calling me out for it...makes zero sense.

btw, first half of season, he had two good games against Carolina and Giants, two of the worse teams in run defense. and what about 2020? oh yeah, that was Dalton's fault. and 2021 was Dak's fault. its always somebody else. right? never Zeke.

yeah, dude, your morals lack...show morals before you ask others about their morals....right!? or is this a one way street for you? again, you called me out on my morals. I called you back and seemingly you take offense.

and if you hold Zeke to a "team" concept. and however you judge him, then do the same for everyone on the team....seemingly you have a different goal post for Zeke.

and what the heck does this have to do with Dak? you keep trying to spin the conversation into something irrelevant. this is about Zeke and how he has declined over the past couple of years. but yeah, list all the excuses. let me start it for you
Dak
Dalton
OL
Moore
McCarthy
cold weather
hot weather
angle of the sun
average temprature
time of the game
bad grass field
fans in section 405, row 22

basel90

Reaction score
The stupidity of some here astounds me. Dak doesn’t call the plays or build the game plan. He doesn’t just give the ball to Zeke.
your football IQ and manners tells it all. Won't name call you like you did but obviously clueless about what a QB in the NFL role is.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
wait. you judge me...and then I do the same to you and you are objecting to being judged and calling me out for it...makes zero sense.

btw, first half of season, he had two good games against Carolina and Giants, two of the worse teams in run defense. and what about 2020? oh yeah, that was Dalton's fault. and 2021 was Dak's fault. its always somebody else. right? never Zeke.

yeah, dude, your morals lack...show morals before you ask others about their morals....right!? or is this a one way street for you? again, you called me out on my morals. I called you back and seemingly you take offense.

and if you hold Zeke to a "team" concept. and however you judge him, then do the same for everyone on the team....seemingly you have a different goal post for Zeke.

and what the heck does this have to do with Dak? you keep trying to spin the conversation into something irrelevant. this is about Zeke and how he has declined over the past couple of years. but yeah, list all the excuses. let me start it for you
Dak
Dalton
OL
Moore
McCarthy
cold weather
hot weather
angle of the sun
average temprature
time of the game
bad grass field
fans in section 405, row 22
Thanks for revealing your true nature. It all makes sense now.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Thanks for revealing your true nature. It all makes sense now.

I have never understood the hate that emanates from this fan base for players on their own team. It's such a weird deal it makes me uncomfortable talking to these people. The bottom line is Zeke just like every other player in the history of the NFL is going to get old, become less productive and eventually have to leave the game. This isn't some revelation. What I don't agree with is people trying to retroactively declare he was "done three years ago" .. you know, when he was 4th in the league in rushing.. And those same people want to blot out his start to the 2021 season when he was averaging over 5 ypc and second in the league in rushing behind only Henry who had like double the number of carries because his OC is absolutely committed to the run game unlike the one in Dallas. Before the injury Zeke was easily one of the best backs in the league. Maybe even THE best.. Why that bothers some Cowboys fans will always be a mystery to me. And frankly I have to admit I don't really want to understand the mindset that makes people hate their own players..

blueblood70

Reaction score
39991.jpg

blueblood70

Reaction score
I have never understood the hate that emanates from this fan base for players on their own team. It's such a weird deal it makes me uncomfortable talking to these people. The bottom line is Zeke just like every other player in the history of the NFL is going to get old, become less productive and eventually have to leave the game. This isn't some revelation. What I don't agree with is people trying to retroactively declare he was "done three years ago" .. you know, when he was 4th in the league in rushing.. And those same people want to blot out his start to the 2021 season when he was averaging over 5 ypc and second in the league in rushing behind only Henry who had like double the number of carries because his OC is absolutely committed to the run game unlike the one in Dallas. Before the injury Zeke was easily one of the best backs in the league. Maybe even THE best.. Why that bothers some Cowboys fans will always be a mystery to me. And frankly I have to admit I don't really want to understand the mindset that makes people hate their own players..
amen brother! itrs amazing how instead of being proud and talk a player on your team up they make shizzle up and try and destroy a guy..
39991.jpg

RonnieT24

Reaction score
amen brother! itrs amazing how instead of being proud and talk a player on your team up they make shizzle up and try and destroy a guy..
39991.jpg

Yeah if Zeke can't stay healthy and productive then so be it. It will be time to move on. But as long he's healthy and churning out those tough yards forcing defenses to play honest with an occasional 20-30 yarder sprinkled in AND he remains the best blocking back in the league I want him on my team. People worrying about how many "splash plays" he makes are entitled to their view. I just don't care. Moving the chains is far more valuable in the grand scheme of things. Same with his salary. I don't pay it and he absolutely earned it. If the Cowboys no longer feel he's worth what they are paying, it's their job to fix it not mine.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
your football IQ and manners tells it all. Won't name call you like you did but obviously clueless about what a QB in the NFL role is.
You going to be ok? So a big football IQ tells you that Dak designs the offense to get his friend Zeke the ball? What an idiot.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

What bothers me is the bipolar fanbase. Dude has to either be "OMG BEST IN DA WORLD" or "HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, RETIRE NOW." At least it feels that way sometimes. How about some middle ground? Player can be good, but maybe not great? Player can be great at certain things?

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I don’t think longest run really tells you a lot about a RB, especially about their ability to break out for a big gain. Maybe the sheer amount of 25+ runs they have would be much better. For instance:

Did you know Lesean McCoy has by far the fewest 70 yard runs of any RB with 10,000 rushing yards in NFL history? He did it one single time his whole career, and it was not in Philly. Only 3 other times his whole career did he even have a 60 yard run. Now if you said Lesean was slow, people would call you crazy, dude ran a 4.5 40… but it’s kinda true. He’s was all burst, and he died out about 40 yards downfield like clockwork. This is the story of his career:

if you were to name the 50 greatest RBs ever, he’s probably the only one who doesn’t score on that play. But that doesn’t mean he wasn’t a machine at breaking open a play. Zeke has some deficits definitely, but longest run is kind of a goofy stat to evaluate someone when you dive into it.

Last edited:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For those that don't have ESPN+ and can't see more of the details on their coach/GM/player rankings of running backs, there were 6 RBs picked #1 overall. Derrick Henry had the most and highest votes so he was picked #1 overall. And Zeke was in the "Honorable Mention" category which means he received some Top 10 votes, but not enough to break the Top 10.

A big comment by the voters was that he lost his breakaway speed. For those of us watching the games, this has been apparent. Some blame the blocking.

But here are the longest runs in NFL year-by-year for every season they played for the 6 RBs picked as #1

Derrick Henry 22, 75, 99, 74, 94, 76 (Wow! Talk about dominance his entire career thus far)
Jonathan Taylor 62, 83
Nick Chubb 92, 88, 59, 70
Dalvin Cook 33, 70, 75, 70, 66
Alvin Kamara 74, 49, 40, 49, 30 (Ok, starting to get back to regular human here)
Joe Mixon 25, 51, 41, 34, 32

Zeke?

60, 30, 41, 33, 31, 47

Pollard?

44, 42, 58

Maybe Zeke never was that guy with breakaway speed? His rookie year was the best offensive line he'll ever play with, and he managed a 60 yard but it went back to earth pretty fast.

How about yards/attempt? Pretty similar line. Zeke compares with the guys ranked after the top 4, but still loses out to Pollard.

Derrick Henry 4.5, 4.2, 4.9, 5.1, 5.4, 4.3
Jonathan Taylor 5.0, 5.5
Nick Chubb 5.2, 5.0, 5.6, 5.5
Dalvin Cook 4.8, 4.6, 4.5, 5.0, 4.7
Alvin Kamara 6.1, 4.6, 4.7, 5.0, 3.7
Joe Mixon 3.5, 4.9, 4.1, 3.6, 4.1

Zeke?

5.1, 4.1, 4.7, 4.5, 4.0, 4.2

Pollard

5.3, 4.3, 5.5

So the number missing here is attempts. Can Pollard put up those numbers full-time? Doubtful. Zeke has been the workhorse of our team every year, while can't say the same about everyone on that top 1 list. Some of those guys did not average 300 attempts/year like Zeke, or couldn't play 16 games through everything. You also don't hear it on blocking and Zeke always has his boy Dak's back. This is why you hear it from guys like Aikman - love his heart, love his will -- Zeke will play through anything and is a workhorse, but unfortunately, you don't win points for that, and why we should at least try to give Pollard a shot to have more carries vs Zeke. You also don't win points for playing hurt. It does help you though win the total rushing yards title in a season.

But I guess I'm trying to say, not everything is black & white. Is Zeke that same superstar in his earliest years? No. Especially with him not able to consistently be the workhorse. But he's still one of the better RBs in the league all things considered. The things that get Zeke is he's being paid more than anyone on that list. That I can't argue with, nor can I argue with the fact that none of those guys didn't cost as high a draft pick. None of those #1 votes above was drafted in the first round!

I tried looking around for guys that came out of nowhere after 6 seasons and started leading the league again in stats. Even Emmitt after 6 years never put in one of those stat heavy years again, but he did maintain consistency and was that freak iron horse we all love. Bettis rebounded after 3 years. Even John Riggins in his rebirth with the Skins still put up numbers similar to Zeke's current numbers. Adrian Peterson had a great year at age 30 after all those injuries. But it is tough to find RBs that came back after six seasons.

So yes, probably Zeke's last year unless he takes a sizeable pay cut to stay in Dallas. And yes, we'll find someone who can still put up numbers if we draft right. Appreciate all Zeke did, and I hope he proves everyone wrong, because he is one of my favorite players because of all the intangibles I mentioned - plays hurt, blocks, team player - but won't be surprised to see him in another uniform next year if he doesn't have a miraculous comeback this year which looks unlikely.
Nice work Vaq- outstanding post. Numbers and facts always speak for themselves.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I would prefer to see a stat such as number of runs over 20 yards.
- There is a significant amount of randomness in looking only at longest runs.

Zeke's runs over 20 yards are even more pathetic. Before last season he had like 3 in the previous 2 years.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Definitely a wow player.

I'm not against drafting a RB in the 1st as long as it's pick 20 or later.

Zeke at #24 would have been a great pick. Zeke at #4 was questionable.

Zeke at 4 is stupid. Zeke at 24 is fine if you have a complete team and its the only thing you are missing.

Under no circumstance to you ever pass up on a generational CB like Ramsey for a RB.

Cmac

Reaction score
I agree Sequel Elliott is an ongoing mistake.
I disagree it was a mistake in drafting him. Some players just break down earlier.
Were you revealing a mistake in Zeke's 1-4 years into the league, when he was the bell-cow for this team?

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yeah if Zeke can't stay healthy and productive then so be it. It will be time to move on. But as long he's healthy and churning out those tough yards forcing defenses to play honest with an occasional 20-30 yarder sprinkled in AND he remains the best blocking back in the league I want him on my team. People worrying about how many "splash plays" he makes are entitled to their view. I just don't care. Moving the chains is far more valuable in the grand scheme of things. Same with his salary. I don't pay it and he absolutely earned it. If the Cowboys no longer feel he's worth what they are paying, it's their job to fix it not mine.
:thumbup: