Zero chance Tyron plays

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Unbelievable. Hasn’t played a snap in 3 weeks and still can’t even practice. I would rather they IR him now and revisit him come December
They would not gave kept Tyron if Steele was 100% in March.

They kept Tyron as a 2nd option at RT that is better at LT or RT (when he plays) than a mid-tier contract swing tackle. He is making 6M this season. Veteran swing tackles now make 4M to 5M if they are good.

They're top goal was for him to be available early season if Steele started the season on PUP.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Tyron will make it to the HoF.
- Only question is 1st Ballot or not.

Tyron
4× All-Pro
8× Pro Bowl
NFL 2010s All-Decade Team
PFWA All-Rookie Team (2011)
To add to this he's also 7x NFL top 100 which is a really high level accolade on top of the ones you listed

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Since Dak entered the league in 2016, Tyron Smith has not played a full season for the Cowboys due to injuries.

This is not a Tyron Smith issue. This is a front office issue. How many years in a row would the average GM count on a player who continually breaks down before making plans to draft his replacement?

What is the difference between cutting the player and eating the dead money, or keeping the player on the roster as the player stands in street clothes and continues to take a roster spot?
Agree 100%. Tyron Smith WAS a great player for about 6-7 years. Tyron Smith was my favorite Cowboys player for nearly a decade. Love the guy. BUT…

But he’s missed….wait for it…35 games since 2020. Thirty-five games. The first ability required of ALL NFL players is availability. The fact that Tyron is still on this roster is a testament to how JJ and SJ run this team like fans with pet cats instead of serious football guys.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Yeah that’s great but now we’re playing through some neck issue? He’s not the same guy. We’ve seen him have not so great games.
Those results are this year. It’s not career stuff.

When he’s played, he’s arguably our best lineman.

tomsanders921

Reaction score
He’s had a neck issue for as long as I can remember.

Not sure if he’s a lock for the HOF.
I don't think he's sniffing the hall of fame. He was one of the best in the league in his prime when healthy, but the lack of longevity and lack of overall team success will hold him out, in my opinion.

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score
Yes, he is good when plays but the key word there is “when”, which means not all the time and there is when the FO misses the boat (guess not a good word when they own almost a billion dollar yacht). I stand a better chance of turning into Denzel Washington than he does of playing a full 17 plus PO games.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Those results are this year. It’s not career stuff.

When he’s played, he’s arguably our best lineman.
When he’s played, he’s played 4 games completed 3 of them. It’s easy to have better data when it’s the smallest sample size of all the starting 5.

By your own admission of pff grades, he’s not our best lineman when he plays; and that data is skewed against other players starting on the line that have to play alongside guys like Bass and Richards bc Smith is absent.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Unbelievable. Hasn’t played a snap in 3 weeks and still can’t even practice. I would rather they IR him now and revisit him come December
Yes. So why would he go through the walk through if they believed there was zero chance? To put a backup in a worse position?

Kwyn

Reaction score
When he’s played, he’s played 4 games completed 3 of them. It’s easy to have better data when it’s the smallest sample size of all the starting 5.

By your own admission of pff grades, he’s not our best lineman when he plays; and that data is skewed against other players starting on the line that have to play alongside guys like Bass and Richards bc Smith is absent.
But when he plays he’s better than any of them? You can argue that even Tyler with his pff score is better, but the penalties are not good.

There isn’t really an overwhelming argument that when he’s playing Tyron is not our best o-line player and he plays the most challenging position on the line.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
They would not gave kept Tyron if Steele was 100% in March.

They kept Tyron as a 2nd option at RT that is better at LT or RT (when he plays) than a mid-tier contract swing tackle. He is making 6M this season. Veteran swing tackles now make 4M to 5M if they are good.

They're top goal was for him to be available early season if Steele started the season on PUP.
I don't agree because we still didn't have a starting five without him, unless you think they wanted a cheap FA acquisition to be our fifth lineman. I think the only question with Steele is if we were going to be forced to play Tyron at right tackle and Tyler at left tackle and fill in at left guard until Steele was 100 percent.

Our only moves on the line were to sign Edoga for cheap and draft a fifth-round guard/tackle, I don't think those are the type of moves you make if you have any plan to cut one of your starting five.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
But when he plays he’s better than any of them? You can argue that even Tyler with his pff score is better, but the penalties are not good.

There isn’t really an overwhelming argument that when he’s playing Tyron is not our best o-line player and he plays the most challenging position on the line.
“Better” than Zach by one whole point. No GM on the planet would take Tyron over Zach right now. Also, Edoga had a couple head scratching series but surprisingly cleans it up seemingly mid game.

Regardless, Tyron’s absence has a direct effect in the grading of the Tyler’s and etc…. IMO the grading is a wash if we have to play musical chairs every week to make for the fact that Smith can’t play.

The offensive line has been a struggling unit and the saga of Tyron’s health continues to handcuff them.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
You're wrong even if Tyron doesn't play.
:laugh:

You said "zero chance", but there apparently is a chance.

That alone makes your post inaccurate.
MM lying to us multiple weeks in a row doesn’t make it a chance

Kwyn

Reaction score
Yes, he is good when plays but the key word there is “when”, which means not all the time and there is when the FO misses the boat (guess not a good word when they own almost a billion dollar yacht). I stand a better chance of turning into Denzel Washington than he does of playing a full 17 plus PO games
Edoga and Steele are the only lineman we have that has a chance to play 17 regular season games.

Kwyn

Reaction score
“Better” than Zach by one whole point. No GM on the planet would take Tyron over Zach right now. Also, Edoga had a couple head scratching series but surprisingly cleans it up seemingly mid game.

Regardless, Tyron’s absence has a direct effect in the grading of the Tyler’s and etc…. IMO the grading is a wash if we have to play musical chairs every week to make for the fact that Smith can’t play.

The offensive line has been a struggling unit and the saga of Tyron’s health continues to handcuff them.
Didn’t Tyler Smith miss two games? Zach missed ones. Biadasz missed one.

I would argue that Tyron’s status reports have a bigger impact on the Zone than they do on the team.

We just love to get out the pitchforks

RonWashington

Reaction score
Make Tyler Smith your LT for the present & the future . Stop messing with this key position. .