Zierlein Mock 1.0 1/30/18

Sydla

Reaction score
Collins has no business playing the 1-tech. We should be trying to find a starter there and moving Collins back to the 3-tech.

And honestly, I am not opposed to this notion that there might be a better 3 tech than Collins in the draft. Maybe a guy like Bryan from UF. Take him, you now have two solid 3 Techs along with Irving who can swing and play DT or DE. Then go get a real 1 tech in FA, you have Price probably coming back and he wasn't bad as a backup and maybe even draft a late round project.

It shouldn't be this freaking hard to fix our DL. And yet Marinelli seems hell bent on making it so.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Depth is an issue but I am not drafting an OG in the first round not named Nelson at this point unless the draft board just disintegrates and we are basically stuck.

If you want "depth", I think you can find a vet OT and OG for fairly cheap in FA.

A stop-gap guard? Yeah, I can see that. Maybe Kline from Tennessee? As for tackle? No, not for a second do I think they could possibly get one capable of playing on the left side. Not enough to go around. That's where you find the Byron Bells of the world, and we know how that turned out.

Or draft one of the OTs like McGlinchey or Williams and they can possibly play OG and then be insurance against one of the OTs getting hurt. That would be a much smarter move than taking a pure OG IMO.

I'd prefer to go the OT route over strictly a guard if I could. But again, I think who we do or don't have by the draft could change the priority of it, as well as availability obviously.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
love the pick and the player.
Isaiah Wynn and Will Hernandez are tempting.
looks like we need them to go fat and lazy to have one of them in the 2nd Rd.

The DE (Hubbard) from Ohio State, the safety (Reid) from Stanford, the WR (Ridley) from Bama, and the tackle (Williams) from Texas are my only choices if Vea is gone.

Sydla

Reaction score
The DE (Hubbard) from Ohio State, the safety (Reid) from Stanford, the WR (Ridley) from Bama, and the tackle (Williams) from Texas are my only choices if Vea is gone.

Two of those would be reaches at 19 IMO............ Hubbard and Reid.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
No thanks if Davenport is there at 19 you take him. We need a WDE/RDE to pair with D. Lawrence.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
What's the obsession with getting a guard here in the first round? For one, Cooper wasn't terrible. He was fine playing next to Smith.

Two, there is one clear stud at OG in this draft and sure, if he falls to 19, you grab him but I think with all our needs, taking an OG in the first round that isn't Nelson is probably not the wisest move.

I feel the same way. I would rather keep Cooper and maintain the continuity of the line. The line improved once Cooper was starting and we had the same 5 guys playing together consistently (unit Smith staring missing time).

Sydla

Reaction score
I feel the same way. I would rather keep Cooper and maintain the continuity of the line. The line improved once Cooper was starting and we had the same 5 guys playing together consistently (unit Smith staring missing time).

Totally.

If you want to go OL at 19, then an OT who might also play some OG (Like Martin) would make more sense to me than a guy like Wynn or Hernandez who seem to strictly be OGs and neither is likely as good as Nelson, who you would have to take if he slid all the way to 19.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Totally.

If you want to go OL at 19, then an OT who might also play some OG (Like Martin) would make more sense to me than a guy like Wynn or Hernandez who seem to strictly be OGs and neither is likely as good as Nelson, who you would have to take if he slid all the way to 19.

I agree with you overall, but what if they fail to re-sign Cooper? Does that change your opinion?

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I agree with you overall, but what if they fail to re-sign Cooper? Does that change your opinion?

Yes. If they do not sign Cooper the continuity is gone anyway, so get the best OG available. I don't think it will be an issue to sign Cooper, though.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes. If they do not sign Cooper the continuity is gone anyway, so get the best OG available. I don't think it will be an issue to sign Cooper, though.

I hope you're right!
:thumbup:

But until it's done, I'm the type to worry. When it comes to free agency, nothing is for certain, and there's always some crazy team flush with cap room that spends like crazy. When Zeitler can get the deal he got from the Browns, nothing would surprise me.

Some teams have more money than they know what to do with.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I hope you're right!
:thumbup:

But until it's done, I'm the type to worry. When it comes to free agency, nothing is for certain, and there's always some crazy team flush with cap room that spends like crazy. When Zeitler can get the deal he got from the Browns, nothing would surprise me.

Some teams have more money than they know what to do with.

True, but the way I think teams will look at Cooper will be that he didn't play well until he came to Dallas playing between two all-pros. Even then he didn't start the season, traded time with Green, and didn't put it together until the end of the season. I don;t think anyone's going to offer him anything we wouldn't match.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True, but the way I think teams will look at Cooper will be that he didn't play well until he came to Dallas playing between two all-pros. Even then he didn't start the season, traded time with Green, and didn't put it together until the end of the season. I don;t think anyone's going to offer him anything we wouldn't match.

The way I see it, and the way I think the rest of the league views it, is that the Cowboys screwed up that Cooper-Green deal, nobody else.

I mean, how many of us fans were screaming about the "competition" even during the preseason? Plenty of us. There was never any visible indication that Green performed better than Cooper did. Nothing more than Bryan Broaddus parroting crap he was hearing from coaches who obviously didn't know what they were looking at. That or someone in the front office trying to justifying reaching for Green in the first place.

There should never have been a competition and that move only set the entire offensive line back several weeks, and Cooper in particular.

I don't see it as mere coincidence that the offense started finding their rhythm when Cooper was inserted into the starting lineup.

But again, for the record, I hope you're right. He's one of the two free agents this team can't afford to lose.

Sydla

Reaction score

No. Even if they lost Cooper, I am not using the 19th pick on strictly an OG.

OG shouldn't be that hard to fill. Then again, we are talking about the Cowboys FO.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No. Even if they lost Cooper, I am not using the 19th pick on strictly an OG.

OG shouldn't be that hard to fill. Then again, we are talking about the Cowboys FO.

Exactly!

I'm not "trusting" them to get it right at this point. If they lose Cooper, and the offensive tackles are gone and things fall the way they do here, I wouldn't have a problem with taking Hernandez or Wynn at #19

sdfidaho

Reaction score
A guard in the first round wouldn't be my preference, but I'd prefer that to Hurst.

By the time the draft rolls around, the team should have the answer on whether or not they have Cooper back for 2018. If so, I don't think it's a huge priority. If not, I think it moves up significantly.

I see zero depth on the current offensive line.

This is the Dallas Cowboys we're talking about. They don't need depth at any position.
Overpaying starters at multiple positions is how we build Championships around here.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
I'd pull my hair out watching Ridley, Payne and James go off the board in succession right before our pick. I'm usually not a fan of trading up, but in this scenario I'm making sure I land one of the 3 remaining blue chip talents.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is the Dallas Cowboys we're talking about. They don't need depth at any position.
Overpaying starters at multiple positions is how we build Championships around here.

AAEAAQAAAAAAAA3QAAAAJDc0NTIyYzNjLWQ5M2MtNGI3OS05ZTIxLWY1ODkxNTc5YmU3OA.jpg

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Donald didn't seem to struggle with bigger blockers like Hurst did. Donald also appears to be quicker that gave him some advantage.

We need to stop looking at size and thinking well if that guy did it, so can this guy. In the end, Hurst at 19 wouldn't kill me but there are a lot of guys I'd rather have at 19 - Vea, James, Ridley, Smith, Payne, etc.
that was on Donald’s scouting report as well, how he struggled with blockers and look at him now. Hell, look at him as a rookie. I’m not looking at size comparisons like you claim, I watched the tape and see a similar player. What you need to do is check the ignorant comparisons between Hurst and Neal from their college tape

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd pull my hair out watching Ridley, Payne and James go off the board in succession right before our pick. I'm usually not a fan of trading up, but in this scenario I'm making sure I land one of the 3 remaining blue chip talents.

Yes, but take heart, knowing that while that week 17 "victory" may indeed have hurt our draft standing, it ensured another year of Jason Garrett, back-to-back "winning seasons", and continuation of "the process".

There now, feel better?
:grin: