Zimmer to unleash Double A GAP Package!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
It doesn't really tip off anything. Any team that's ever faced Zimmer knows what he runs. The Double A gap package is just an alignment. There are a variety of moves he can make with it.

I actually think he'll do a variation of it here because he'll want to "blitz" Parsons as a linebacker on most downs.
what sense does that make? Oh we know exactly where Micah is coming from at all times, let's adjust and 3rd and 14 becomes a 64 yard pass!!! Move him around, at least make the offense think

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
what sense does that make? Oh we know exactly where Micah is coming from at all times, let's adjust and 3rd and 14 becomes a 64 yard pass!!! Move him around, at least make the offense think
Or sometimes you just need to line up and beat your guy. Micah has the speed and quickness to do that.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I don't think he'll line up in the A gap or stay in the A gap at all times. For example, we could initially bring two linebackers into the A gap, then shift Micah over outside the right end and bring him while dropping the right end into short zone. When Micah shifts to that spot, the offense has to account for both the right end and him in the blocking plan because we could end up bringing both and dropping a tackle or the left end into the short zone. There are all kinds of things you can do out of the Double A package.

The main purpose of using it is so the offense doesn't know who all is coming or if any extra rushers are coming. I don't think we're going to fool offenses into believing that Micah isn't coming and I don't think we want to drop him into coverage more often than having him rush. The question really is going to be who else is coming and who is dropping. Does the other A gap linebacker rush? Does the safety? Does nickel corner? Do both ends? Do both tackles? You can have four rushing (Micah, DT, RDE, LDE or Micah, DT, DT, LDE or ...) or five or six.

Double A gap is just a look where multiple rushers could be coming or not.

conner01

Reaction score
It's simulated pressure to confuse the OL as to who is really rushing.
Exactly. The center and guards don’t know which, if either is coming which slows down their reaction time and confuses blocking scheme. We did some with Quinn but many times with Micah which ones assumed was coming. With 2 equal guys they don’t get to key on one but have to wait a second and read which is coming

conner01

Reaction score
Yeah the defense is use to being coddled by Quinn. Zimmers more tough which is exactly what’s needed.
I don’t think he’s better than Quinn but different. The one strength Zimmer brings is his scheme helps the run D because you have 2 LB right in front of the center. Quinn was all about pass pressure. Ideally you want both but that’s rare and is more about talent than scheme

WhizKid

Reaction score
Dude has like 27 years experience as a Defensive Coordinator. I doubt he's tipping off anything, considering you can just go watch tape.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I don’t think he’s better than Quinn but different. The one strength Zimmer brings is his scheme helps the run D because you have 2 LB right in front of the center. Quinn was all about pass pressure. Ideally you want both but that’s rare and is more about talent than scheme
I wouldn't be surprised if we, for example, initially bring two linebackers into the A gaps (let's say Parsons and Clark), then when the QB steps up behind center, shift Parsons to right end or left end and move the end into that A gap. We don't want to just stick Parsons at RDE or LDE and have defenses run at him, but by playing "games" with him, we can keep offenses from just running at him. At times, we'll bring him up the middle, loop him around a DT, kick him out to end and even drop him into coverage some. He's the Queen chess piece for whatever Zimmer does, including with the Double A package.

Imagine lining up Parsons in the gap, kicking him to RDE before the snap and moving the RDE into the gap and then dropping both Parsons and the LDE into zones and bringing the RDE and the other LB up the middle. That's four players rushing against three blockers since the tackles would initially have to hold their ground expecting the RDE and LDE to rush. Additionally, since a S and the nickel CB come up to the line on the outside, one of them could blitz from the outside to try to beat the tackle's reaction to him rushing instead of Parsons or Lawrence. That's just one example, though, of what you can do with it.

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
A lot of talk about how the defense would fight for Dan Quinn but they sure didn’t fight for him against contending teams especially in the playoffs. Some don’t think the D will show much fight for Zimmer. If so we’re in real trouble.
The D should be fighting for their own piece of mind.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if we, for example, initially bring two linebackers into the A gaps (let's say Parsons and Clark), then when the QB steps up behind center, shift Parsons to right end or left end and move the end into that A gap. We don't want to just stick Parsons at RDE or LDE and have defenses run at him, but by playing "games" with him, we can keep offenses from just running at him. At times, we'll bring him up the middle, loop him around a DT, kick him out to end and even drop him into coverage some. He's the Queen chess piece for whatever Zimmer does, including with the Double A package.

Imagine lining up Parsons in the gap, kicking him to RDE before the snap and moving the RDE into the gap and then dropping both Parsons and the LDE into zones and bringing the RDE and the other LB up the middle. That's four players rushing against three blockers since the tackles would initially have to hold their ground expecting the RDE and LDE to rush. Additionally, since a S and the nickel CB come up to the line on the outside, one of them could blitz from the outside to try to beat the tackle's reaction to him rushing instead of Parsons or Lawrence. That's just one example, though, of what you can do with it.
Well said, and Parsons flexibility is the key to this scheme now, just as it should be, but more so now with some depth at LB and being able to move Bell back to his natural position at safety, the back seven improves.
We have added responsibilities for actual LB assistance now to allow MP to roam.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Like all coaches, their success depends greatly upon the players that they're allowed to work with. Let's be sure to take that into account, too!

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The D should be fighting for their own piece of mind.
Players don’t seem to care like they used to at least not the players we have. It’s all about money for some.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Their high point might be sword fighting in the locker room after the games.....there's no winner in those duels.
Deuce would probably argue with you on that... especially if he goes up against 6'7" Guyton.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
Zimmer has plenty of his own flaws. You obviously aren’t familiar w his work in Minny
I remember his time in Minnesota. I thought he was decent. I also thought Quinn was pretty darn good as well.

JBS

Reaction score
I remember his time in Minnesota. I thought he was decent. I also thought Quinn was pretty darn good as well.
Yeah he was solid. But his defenses have big weaknesses. 2 min defense is not good