Zoners: Carpenter just might start season opener

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Ref below:

Why?

Becuase Carp played his best ball at OLB last year. Especially against Atl and Sea when his lights started coming on.

With his experience--it is possible Wade will let Spencer learn if Carp kicks butt in these preseason games.....ie. a couple of sacks....pressures...etc.

With Ellis still sidelined, Carpenter is taking reps at outside linebacker.

IRVING, Texas - The Cowboys moved second-year linebacker Bobby Carpenter from outside to inside this off-season. But with the Greg Ellis still out rehabbing his sore heel, the Cowboys will give Carpenter some snaps back at outside linebacker this week in practice.

In fact, Phillips said he expects Carpenter to play some at outside linebacker in Saturday's preseason game with the Texans.

"We have to be realistic, too, and so we worked Bobby a little bit outside and we'll play him some in this game outside for that very reason," Phillips said. "We still need three outside 'backers that can play. I think with Bobby there, we'd have three for sure."

Carpenter, who played outside linebacker in a 4-3 scheme in college at Ohio State, spent part of his rookie season as a backup outside 'backer in the 3-4 scheme. After playing mostly as a backup and special teams contributor, Carpenter got more playing time once Ellis tore his Achilles in the ninth game of the season.

Carpenter started the season finale against Detroit and then the playoff loss to Seattle, where he had his best game of the season, recording five tackles, one for a loss and breaking up three passes.

But with Ellis expected to return and rookie Anthony Spencer's arrival, the Cowboys moved Carpenter and Kevin Burnett from outside to inside this off-season.

Carpenter has just three tackles through two preseason games this year, but did have an interception in the fourth quarter of last Saturday's win over Denver.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Id be surprised really unless Spencer takes a nosedive and i love Carp.

OTOH if Spencer starts becoming a liability once the season starts and Carp is playing well then I could see him getting the nod.

It should be pretty apparent at this point that if any of the starters falters Carp will be the first guy that gets a shot.

HopeCowboyFan

Benched
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1599087 said:
Id be surprised really unless Spencer takes a nosedive and i love Carp.

OTOH if Spencer starts becoming a liability once the season starts and Carp is playing well then I could see him getting the nod.

It should be pretty apparent at this point that if any of the starters falters Carp will be the first guy that gets a shot.

Fuzzy - not at ILB. Burnett has solidified the first backup and may push Ayodele and be starting by midseason. He is that dominant and deserving.

Carp is 3rd on depth charts at all LB positions. Now second at OLB because Ellis can't go. Phillips like Parcells is struggling to find a role for Carp.....

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
HopeCowboyFan;1599093 said:
Fuzzy - not at ILB. Burnett has solidified the first backup and may push Ayodele and be starting by midseason. He is that dominant and deserving.

Carp is 3rd on depth charts at all LB positions. Now second at OLB because Ellis can't go. Phillips like Parcells is struggling to find a role for Carp.....

*sigh*

Carp doesn't play the same spot inside as Burnett. Keep trying.

...and the only place he's "third" is at OLB...and that may depend on Ellis' status.

*sigh*

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score

Dude, Carp is backing up James and Burnett is backing up Ayodele. They're two different positions.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

Im sorry but you dont have the Cowboys depth chart to make that claim. i realize you like Burnett and he had a great game last weekend but lets get real. If Burnett can string together more than one performance then maybe you have a point but youre a bit over the top on Burnett with one good performance in two years and its not exactly like he was shedding blocks to make those tackles.

Wade directly said that with Carp he knows they have 3 good OLB.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1599101 said:
Im sorry but you dont have the Cowboys depth chart to make that claim. i realize you like Burnett and he had a great game last weekend but lets get real. If Burnett can string together more than one performance then maybe you have a point but youre a bit over the top on Burnett with one good performance in two years and its not exactly like he was shedding blocks to make those tackles.

Wade directly said that with Carp he knows they have 3 good OLB.

Exactly, because Wade said that about Carp gave me the impression that if Spencer does not register a stat (tackle, get in the way, something) in the next two games which would equal his output in the 1st two preseason games then......who knows?

Carp comes in next week and gets two sacks, 1 pressure, 1 int and 4 tackles then our beat writers start hyping things up a bit and guess what?

CARP starts the season while Spencer watches and learns like Carp did last year! :cool:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1599116 said:
Exactly, because Wade said that about Carp gave me the impression that if Spencer does not register a stat (tackle, get in the way, something) in the next two games which would equal his output in the 1st two preseason games then......who knows?

Carp comes in next week and gets two sacks, 1 pressure, 1 int and 4 tackles then our beat writers start hyping things up a bit and guess what?

CARP starts the season while Spencer watches and learns like Carp did last year! :cool:

Wow brah it loks like your pretty passionate about Carp.

I really would like to see him, Spencer and Burnett play well. I could really care less who is starting as long as all are playing well and contributing.

Carp definitle ylooks like hes going to be a handy guy to have around.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
FuzzyLumpkins;1599122 said:
Wow brah it loks like your pretty passionate about Carp.
Talk about 180, considering last year CC started a thread "I have as many tackles as Bobby Carpenter" :laugh2:

HopeCowboyFan

Benched
Reaction score
Roy - stepped in day 1 and impact
Tnew - stepped in day 1 and impact
Ware stepped in day 1 and Impact
Carp.....
Spencer - stepped in day 1 and is starting

Carp has to make a role here to justify that top 20 pick. I just see him kinda struggling to get backup reps.

My boy Burnett is tearing it up and fits the size/speed mold Phillips is looking for.... See SD ILB's - Foley in particular.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
HopeCowboyFan;1599139 said:
Carp.....

Carp has to make a role here to justify that top 20 pick. I just see him kinda struggling to get backup reps.

My boy Burnett is tearing it up and fits the size/speed mold Phillips is looking for.... See SD ILB's - Foley in particular.

My god man...if you can't see the flaws in your thinking, its doubtful that anyone can explain them to you.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Carp.....

Only because of injury

HopeCowboyFan

Benched
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;1599151 said:
Only because of injury

Thats a debatable point with Ellis injury.

But Spencer has taken over and is ahead of Carp on depth chart and starting clearly to date.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Carp.....

Kevin Smith didnt start until the end of his rookie season and he played well and continued to play well. Same went with Robert Thomas that year. It was 1992.

What happened to Carp is what happens when you have a team with talent and you arent forced to start them. If you look at the talent on the roster when Roy and Newman and Ware were drafted its obvious why they started.

If Ellis comes back its going to be the same thing for Spencer with Ellis starting. It doesnt mean that they suck it just means that Ellis is a quality player. He is.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
honestly, i don't like the idea of just handing the job to Spencer. I was impressed with Carp in Seattle.
Mak'em earn it.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
HopeCowboyFan;1599155 said:
Thats a debatable point with Ellis injury.

But Spencer has taken over and is ahead of Carp on depth chart and starting clearly to date.

Phillips said before TC started Ellis was still the starter.....there is no debate.

If Ellis was healthy Spencer wouldn't be starting.

Angus

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1599065 said:
Ref below:

Why?

Becuase Carp played his best ball at OLB last year. Especially against Atl and Sea when his lights started coming on.

With his experience--it is possible Wade will let Spencer learn if Carp kicks butt in these preseason games.....ie. a couple of sacks....pressures...etc.

Crazy Cowboy you really are crazy.

:D

dfense

Reaction score
tomson75;1599142 said:
My god man...if you can't see the flaws in your thinking, its doubtful that anyone can explain them to you.
Just because Spencer is getting reps with the first team, don't think he's been handed a starting job. His run defense will help determine that. He'll probably start out as a situational rusher.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Spencer impressed me running down and getting his head around and tipping the ball, although the TE still caught it, that was impressive. The guy has everything needed to dominate that position, but if Carpenter has what we need right NOW, then I say go with Carpenter until he stinks it up.

But more than that, I'd like to see Burnett challenge Ayodele for the starting spot.