The Great Communicator
Reaction score
HopeCowboyFan;1599139 said:
Roy - stepped in day 1 and impact
Tnew - stepped in day 1 and impact
Ware stepped in day 1 and Impact
Carp.....
Spencer - stepped in day 1 and is starting

Carp has to make a role here to justify that top 20 pick. I just see him kinda struggling to get backup reps.

My boy Burnett is tearing it up and fits the size/speed mold Phillips is looking for.... See SD ILB's - Foley in particular.
You choose to forget that Ware started his first year because we had no one else and he had a learning curve just like every rookie. Year two he was ready but he should not have been playing in year one if we'd had a viable alternative.

Roy played well his first year because he had Woodson next to him keeping him straight and allowing him to do his thing. His performance was not the same after Woody retired.

And even T-New as much as I love him had some problems in his first and second years and people like you were calling him a bust.

Carp would have been our OLB last year had Parcells not figured out that Ellis could do it and with his experience was more ready for the job. Had Carp been forced into the role as the others you mention were he would be a lot more ready to go this year. He showed at the end of the year last year when he was forced into service after Ellis' injury that he had something and could play the OLB spot. BTW he is #2 on the depth chart behind Bradie James.

And Your boy Burnett (who seems to finally be healthy after a couple of injury riddled seasons) is starting to show up pretty good now in his 3rd year. But he two sucked for a couple of years before finally showing up this year...It didn't happen for him right away either.

Personally I feel pretty good about having a guy like Carp who can play inside or outside and we can bounce back and forth to whereever we need him.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
dfense;1599199 said:
Just because Spencer is getting reps with the first team, don't think he's been handed a starting job. His run defense will help determine that. He'll probably start out as a situational rusher.

I'm not sure what led you to believe that I thought this...I was referring to Hopecowboys' incessant need to spread misinformation.

Aikbach

Reaction score
I like ol' Bobby, well he's not old seeming he's my age but he looks like a big huggable Teddy Bear but I think he can play, remember it is year two of the three year rule.

This is year three for Burnett who looks to be improved much.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
JackMagist;1599212 said:
You choose to forget that Ware started his first year because we had no one else and he had a learning curve just like every rookie. Year two he was ready but he should not have been playing in year one if we'd had a viable alternative.

Roy played well his first year because he had Woodson next to him keeping him straight and allowing him to do his thing. His performance was not the same after Woody retired.

And even T-New as much as I love him had some problems in his first and second years and people like you were calling him a bust.

Carp would have been our OLB last year had Parcells not figured out that Ellis could do it and with his experience was more ready for the job. Had Carp been forced into the role as the others you mention were he would be a lot more ready to go this year. He showed at the end of the year last year when he was forced into service after Ellis' injury that he had something and could play the OLB spot. BTW he is #2 on the depth chart behind Bradie James.

And Your boy Burnett (who seems to finally be healthy after a couple of injury riddled seasons) is starting to show up pretty good now in his 3rd year. But he two sucked for a couple of years before finally showing up this year...It didn't happen for him right away either.

Personally I feel pretty good about having a guy like Carp who can play inside or outside and we can bounce back and forth to whereever we need him.

...add another to the list of those who "get it"

...seems to be a short list today. ;)

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Carp.....

That's not true, Carp has stepped in and become our super-sub utility backup guy.

Just what you want out of a Top 25 draft pick. Godfrey Myles.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1599226 said:
That's not true, Carp has stepped in and become our super-sub utility backup guy.

Just what you want out of a Top 25 draft pick. Godfrey Myles.
Give him a chance; by next year (which will be his 3rd) Carp will have a full time starting spot. For now I'm ok with "super-sub utility backup guy"

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1599065 said:
Ref below:

Why?

Becuase Carp played his best ball at OLB last year. Especially against Atl and Sea when his lights started coming on.

With his experience--it is possible Wade will let Spencer learn if Carp kicks butt in these preseason games.....ie. a couple of sacks....pressures...etc.
Not only am I shocked you started a thread, I can't believe you actually have a take! LOL

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1599126 said:
Talk about 180, considering last year CC started a thread "I have as many tackles as Bobby Carpenter" :laugh2:

Good memory WG and I also liked Manny Lawson before the draft, however, I was wrong and sometimes I make mistakes.

Today, I have witnessed Carp in S.A. training camp, and in two preseason games and not to mention the strong games he ended the 06 season with and I changed my mind and believe this is a very good player potentially just like most of you "smart" Zoners tried to tell me he was.

For the record, I believe Spencer is the real deal also because he showed a lot of flash in training camp. I just believe since it is a new position for him that Carp just might be a good bridge while Spencer is learning this position.

GO COWBOYS! :star: :star: :star:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
With this 3-4 Dallas is going to need every 1st string and 2nd string player to kick it up a notch this year. I don't care who is starting because I think each of these LB will see significant playing time. If Ellis can't go to start the season I have full confidence that Carpenter can take on this role along with Spencer.

dallasfan

Reaction score
Carp.....

Carp has to make a role here to justify that top 20 pick. I just see him kinda struggling to get backup reps.

My boy Burnett is tearing it up and fits the size/speed mold Phillips is looking for.... See SD ILB's - Foley in particular.

Foley was an OLB. And Carpenter backs up Bradie James. He is 2nd on the depth chart, just like Burnett. MLB is not like CB, or DT, where you typically have 2 guys starting, and one guy is the back-up followed by another. It's more like the safety position where one guy backs up one, and another backs up the other.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
dallasfan;1599371 said:
Foley was an OLB. And Carpenter backs up Bradie James. He is 2nd on the depth chart, just like Burnett. MLB is not like CB, or DT, where you typically have 2 guys starting, and one guy is the back-up followed by another. It's more like the safety position where one guy backs up one, and another backs up the other.

Except for our safety group. If Roy were to go down Hamlin would take over the spot and chances are Watkins or Davis would take over FS spot.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;1599378 said:
NO way will Carpenter start over Spencer, he's not the pass rusher Dallas needs...
:bang2:

I would not be suprised to see Spencer starting the season off as backup that was pretty much the plan to start with. However it works Spencer will see ample playing time.

dallasfan

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1599376 said:
Except for our safety group. If Roy were to go down Hamlin would take over the spot and chances are Watkins or Davis would take over FS spot.

I don't see why, we know atleast based on last year, Watkins isn't ready, if Hamlin is doing a good job at FS, why not let Kieth Davis start at SS?

dallasfan

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;1599378 said:
NO way will Carpenter start over Spencer, he's not the pass rusher Dallas needs...
:bang2:

I gotta agree, Spencer is gonna start if Ellis isn't ready.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
dallasfan;1599387 said:
I don't see why, we know atleast based on last year, Watkins isn't ready, if Hamlin is doing a good job at FS, why not let Kieth Davis start at SS?

Because I think Watkins would take over the FS and Hamlin would move to his natural position at SS

austintodallas

Consider Yourself Sucked
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1599116 said:
Exactly, because Wade said that about Carp gave me the impression that if Spencer does not register a stat (tackle, get in the way, something) in the next two games which would equal his output in the 1st two preseason games then......who knows?

Carp comes in next week and gets two sacks, 1 pressure, 1 int and 4 tackles then our beat writers start hyping things up a bit and guess what?

CARP starts the season while Spencer watches and learns like Carp did last year! :cool:
Shoulda drafted Manny Lawson. :laugh2:

jimmy40

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1599065 said:
Carpenter just might start season opener
I'll take your word for it because I haven't paid any attention to the kickoff coverage/return units.

Angus

Reaction score
OLB

Ellis
Spencer
Glymph

If Ellis not available

Spencer
Glymph
Carpenter