Zoners: Carpenter just might start season opener

Reaction score
Carp is soft...

Spence Dizzle wont give up that spot.

Carp if he is lucky will be a Mike Vrabel or a 'Jack of all Trades' LB. Not strong enough to rush against tackles and lack of a good first step is what will keep him of the field this year barring injury.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
McCordsville Cowboy;1600546 said:
Carp is soft...

Spence Dizzle wont give up that spot.

Carp if he is lucky will be a Mike Vrabel or a 'Jack of all Trades' LB. Not strong enough to rush against tackles and lack of a good first step is what will keep him of the field this year barring injury.

Lets see how they play. Carp hasnt been avoiding contact.

Now i do think he was tenative at the beginning of last season but so is Specer new. That doesnt make him soft either.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
To make a point, most NCAA players that eventually get drafted into the NFL don't start until their junior year, even though the player usually ends up being better than the guy that started befor him during the freshman and sophmore years. It's all about experience and knowing assignments, that is unless your team is so bad that you have no choice but to start said rookie. But the general average even for college players is at least two years before the player starts making serious contributions. At least the same should be expected in the NFL. All players in the NFL are the elite of the NCAA, so consideration should be taken to give a player time to adapt.

Angus

Reaction score
blindzebra;1600529 said:
Obviously, talented depth means nothing and many don't understand the value of competition at a position.

You honestly think Bobby on the roster didn't help James in his weight loss this offseason?

I love the idea of players being pushed because they know the guy in the wings is talented enough to take their job.

James has been up and down his whole career, it took him 2 years to even sniff the field, and he's had about 16 games worth of solid play in the other 2 years...it's great he's lost weight, and it's good he hasn't been exploited in preseason, but he has 4 years of play to overcome before most would agree he isn't going to eventually lose his job.

Phillips praised Carpenter as a nickel LB...has him backing up as the defense's QB...said yesterday and again today, that Bobby gives him his third good OLB...plus he sees snaps as a nickel DE for good measure.

That type of versatility has tremendous value.

Let me ask this:

If Ware got hurt, who would you rather have on the field Carpenter or Glymph?

If James got hurt, who would you rather see Carpenter or Phillips?

If Spencer got hurt, Carpenter or Obomese?

If Hatcher can't go, Carpenter or Bowen?

I'll finish with this...you can only use 45 guys on game day, Carpenter means you don't need an 8th or 9th LB, or an extra DE...he saves us 3 roster spots...but by all means let's continue to call him a bust.

Glymph
Phillips
Obomese
Bowen

blindzebra

Reaction score
Angus;1601271 said:
Glymph
Phillips
Obomese
Bowen

You know how you can tell an agenda is showing?

It shows when someone goes 0-4 and looks silly doing it.

JPM

Reaction score
blindzebra;1601383 said:
You know how you can tell an agenda is showing?

It shows when someone goes 0-4 and looks silly doing it.

I detected sarcasm in that post. I'm thinking yours may be broken. Take it to the shop have them look at it...

AtlCB

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1599087 said:
Id be surprised really unless Spencer takes a nosedive and i love Carp.

OTOH if Spencer starts becoming a liability once the season starts and Carp is playing well then I could see him getting the nod.

It should be pretty apparent at this point that if any of the starters falters Carp will be the first guy that gets a shot.
If Ellis can't go, Carp starts until the coaches feel Spencer is ready. Carpenter played well at the end of last season at OLB. He just doesn't provide the pass rush that Phillips wants from that position. He would probably play first down and split time with Spencer on second down. Spencer is the pass rusher, so I would expect to see him a lot on third down and second and long.

dallasfan

Reaction score
AtlCB;1601501 said:
If Ellis can't go, Carp starts until the coaches feel Spencer is ready.

Spencer will get the first crack unless his play takes a nose dive.

AtlCB

Reaction score
dallasfan;1601610 said:
Spencer will get the first crack unless his play takes a nose dive.
He's learning a new position and isn't ready yet. The coaches seem to agree. I think he will eventually start - just not in week 1 (with or without a healthy Ellis).

dallasfan

Reaction score
AtlCB;1601631 said:
He's learning a new position and isn't ready yet. The coaches seem to agree. I think he will eventually start - just not in week 1 (with or without a healthy Ellis).

Does Carp know the position? This defense is different than last year, he's been working at MLB all offseason. And just because Spencer isn't ready (I think they're saying this more to make Ellis feel needed) what makes you think Carp is?

AtlCB

Reaction score
dallasfan;1601729 said:
Does Carp know the position? This defense is different than last year, he's been working at MLB all offseason. And just because Spencer isn't ready (I think they're saying this more to make Ellis feel needed) what makes you think Carp is?
Carp knows how to play OLB in the 3-4 in the NFL. Spencer played DE in college in a 4-3 system.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
dallasfan;1601729 said:
Wade said that Ellis could play the position after a single walk through. Given that Carpenter has as much experience playing 3-4 OLB as Ellis does, the learning curve shouldn't be that different.

dallasfan

Reaction score
AtlCB;1601761 said:
Carp knows how to play OLB in the 3-4 in the NFL. Spencer played DE in college in a 4-3 system.

based on what? 2-3 games at the end of last season where he was solid. The transition from 4-3 end to 3-4 OLB isn't that tough when you consider the success of these hybrid players. DeMarcus Ware had his struggles, and did fine. Shawne Merriman, who is plays the role Spencer is going to, did fine as well. Kamerion Wimbley had a great season, so did Terrell Suggs. The only 2 first round picks who struggled are Jason Babin, who played on a near talentless defense, and the jury is still out on him, and Manny Lawson, which I attribute more to his small frame, than being ready. In short, if you have the talent, it doesn't take long.

dallasfan

Reaction score
theogt;1601773 said:
Wade said that Ellis could play the position after a single walk through. Given that Carpenter has as much experience playing 3-4 OLB as Ellis does, the learning curve shouldn't be that different.

Ellis got to concentrate on being an OLB soley last year, I'm pretty sure Carp wasn't moved outside till after Ellis went down (not sure he may have been learning both), so the experience isn't the same. And Ellis is a somewhat proven comodity (the injury leaves some question marks), where Spencer and Carp are unknown.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
dallasfan;1601810 said:
based on what? 2-3 games at the end of last season where he was solid. The transition from 4-3 end to 3-4 OLB isn't that tough when you consider the success of these hybrid players. DeMarcus Ware had his struggles, and did fine. Shawne Merriman, who is plays the role Spencer is going to, did fine as well. Kamerion Wimbley had a great season, so did Terrell Suggs. The only 2 first round picks who struggled are Jason Babin, who played on a near talentless defense, and the jury is still out on him, and Manny Lawson, which I attribute more to his small frame, than being ready. In short, if you have the talent, it doesn't take long.

Carpenter practiced at the OLB spot for the majority of the year last year. Spencer has only been making adjustments for a handfull of practices. Carpenter has clearly learned the position more than Spencer at this point. Spencer seems to be picking it up pretty quick though...I'm not sure why anyone cares whether Carp starts there or not. It's not like he'll be there for an extended stay.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
dallasfan;1601813 said:
Ellis got to concentrate on being an OLB soley last year, I'm pretty sure Carp wasn't moved outside till after Ellis went down (not sure he may have been learning both), so the experience isn't the same. And Ellis is a somewhat proven comodity (the injury leaves some question marks), where Spencer and Carp are unknown.
LOL. Ok, fella.

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
theogt;1600062 said:
It's only preseason, but that guy has been an absolute disaster at OLB.
I was wondering if he could transition to OLB in a 4-3. Guess that's the answer. Still, I wonder how he would do in our 3-4; utilized like Ellis was?