Zoners: Carpenter just might start season opener

HopeCowboyFan

Benched
Reaction score
Roy, Ware, Tnew and Spencer stepped in day 1 as starters.

I have been a huge Tnew fan all along. He is an elite cornerback just a tick shy of Pro Bowl due to lack of interceptions. Carp has been a disapointment to date as a top 20 pick.

Carp can right the ship but its taking on a little water.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1599087 said:
Id be surprised really unless Spencer takes a nosedive and i love Carp.

OTOH if Spencer starts becoming a liability once the season starts and Carp is playing well then I could see him getting the nod.

It should be pretty apparent at this point that if any of the starters falters Carp will be the first guy that gets a shot.

I wouldn't be suprised to see Carp starting on the 1st 2 downs and giving way to Spencer on 3rd downs

this is all provided that Ellis takes too long to recover

fortdick

Reaction score
dallasfan;1599371 said:
Foley was an OLB. And Carpenter backs up Bradie James. He is 2nd on the depth chart, just like Burnett. MLB is not like CB, or DT, where you typically have 2 guys starting, and one guy is the back-up followed by another. It's more like the safety position where one guy backs up one, and another backs up the other.

Boy, am I glad that was cleared up!

fortdick

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;1599378 said:
NO way will Carpenter start over Spencer, he's not the pass rusher Dallas needs...
:bang2:

Well, if pass rush is all you want, maybe.

But if Spencer starts getting burned in coverage, pinned inside on run plays, and that FB in the flats continues to kill us, I fully expect to to be here to justify why he should not be replaced at OLB.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
HopeCowboyFan;1599691 said:
Roy, Ware, Tnew and Spencer stepped in day 1 as starters.

I have been a huge Tnew fan all along. He is an elite cornerback just a tick shy of Pro Bowl due to lack of interceptions. Carp has been a disapointment to date as a top 20 pick.

Carp can right the ship but its taking on a little water.

Spencer is a starter because Ellis is hurt.....period

If Ellis was healthy Spencer would be second string.......BOOK IT

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;1599970 said:
Spencer is a starter because Ellis is hurt.....period

If Ellis was healthy Spencer would be second string.......BOOK IT
Indeed. And the other fellas were top 10 level picks that were joining what was then a very talent depressed team.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
fortdick;1599785 said:
Well, if pass rush is all you want, maybe.

But if Spencer starts getting burned in coverage, pinned inside on run plays, and that FB in the flats continues to kill us, I fully expect to to be here to justify why he should not be replaced at OLB.

I would contend that the ability to rush the passer trumps all of those other things. Wade has to have two good pass rushers at his OLB position. If not, they'll just slide coverage on Ware, leave a TE to block Carpenter and neutralize our entire outside pass rush. I'm sure Wade will take the occasional dump off pass to the RB over the QB having 8 seconds to dissect our defense downfield.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Well, I'll look forward to seeing Carp play there this week. At least that'll be something different.

I think this is strictly for when Spencer's head gets in the mixer, as can happen to any rookie... Especially in the first real game when the Giants are thowing out some new things that Spencer has never seen. He'll probably need a break for a few plays here and there to get straight on things, and Carpenter has at least played outside before. And in a playoff game, no less, when the intensity is at its very highest. Every rookie says that the regular season is a whole 'nother step up from preseason.

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
JackMagist;1599232 said:
Give him a chance; by next year (which will be his 3rd) Carp will have a full time starting spot. For now I'm ok with "super-sub utility backup guy"
For a former 1st rounder (18th overall pick)? I'm having a hard time accepting that position. However, I still haven't given up on Carp. I just wish he would have stepped-up and taken the job away from James already. Come next year though (his 3rd), he better be in the starting line-up or this pick will be considered a bust..... :(

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1600043 said:
Well, I'll look forward to seeing Carp play there this week. At least that'll be something different.

I think this is strictly for when Spencer's head gets in the mixer, as can happen to any rookie... Especially in the first real game when the Giants are thowing out some new things that Spencer has never seen. He'll probably need a break for a few plays here and there to get straight on things, and Carpenter has at least played outside before. And in a playoff game, no less, when the intensity is at its very highest. Every rookie says that the regular season is a whole 'nother step up from preseason.
Wade said he's going to "rotate him like a regular season game," so it makes me think he has some set schedule of rotating his OLBs and it's not so much a "bail Spencer out" type of scenario.

5mics;1600059 said:
or Mathias Kiwanuka? :D
It's only preseason, but that guy has been an absolute disaster at OLB.

fortdick

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1600024 said:
I would contend that the ability to rush the passer trumps all of those other things. Wade has to have two good pass rushers at his OLB position. If not, they'll just slide coverage on Ware, leave a TE to block Carpenter and neutralize our entire outside pass rush. I'm sure Wade will take the occasional dump off pass to the RB over the QB having 8 seconds to dissect our defense downfield.

Why throw at all if you can just run behind the strong side of your offensive line?

SOLB is responsibile for a lot more than WOLB. That is why Ware and Merriman get to tee off on the QB. No tight end, one less blocker. No, IR, I don't believe that having a single facted LB play that spot is at all acceptable, and I am sure Wde won.t be content with it either.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Obviously, talented depth means nothing and many don't understand the value of competition at a position.

You honestly think Bobby on the roster didn't help James in his weight loss this offseason?

I love the idea of players being pushed because they know the guy in the wings is talented enough to take their job.

James has been up and down his whole career, it took him 2 years to even sniff the field, and he's had about 16 games worth of solid play in the other 2 years...it's great he's lost weight, and it's good he hasn't been exploited in preseason, but he has 4 years of play to overcome before most would agree he isn't going to eventually lose his job.

Phillips praised Carpenter as a nickel LB...has him backing up as the defense's QB...said yesterday and again today, that Bobby gives him his third good OLB...plus he sees snaps as a nickel DE for good measure.

That type of versatility has tremendous value.

Let me ask this:

If Ware got hurt, who would you rather have on the field Carpenter or Glymph?

If James got hurt, who would you rather see Carpenter or Phillips?

If Spencer got hurt, Carpenter or Obomese?

If Hatcher can't go, Carpenter or Bowen?

I'll finish with this...you can only use 45 guys on game day, Carpenter means you don't need an 8th or 9th LB, or an extra DE...he saves us 3 roster spots...but by all means let's continue to call him a bust.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
blindzebra;1600529 said:
If James got hurt, who would you rather see Carpenter or Phillips?
This one's easy. I'm not sure Wade is quite in football shape.

blindzebra

Reaction score
The trouble is the fans have their idea of what we drafted him for and in reality that wasn't the case.

We all thought he was the guy opposite Ware, it seems Parcells was actually looking for his do everything LB...he talked about such a player and that players value to a 3-4 countless times.

Now it seems that another 3-4 guru sees him the exact same way.

My guess would be, plop Carp in NE and Belichick would be moving him around as well.

The problem isn't Carpenter, it's our misconceptions about what the teams intentions were for him, and until the fans realize that we were wrong, he's going to be unfairly deemed a bust.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
blindzebra;1600532 said:
The trouble is the fans have their idea of what we drafted him for and in reality that wasn't the case.
Hey, I tried to tell them. :)

blindzebra

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1600535 said:
you probably had it

until you started arguing whether the sky is blue :laugh1:

It's not blue it's azure, everyone knows that.;)