Zoners: Don't worry about our WR's for one simple reason:

DallasDomination

Reaction score
It's always been about romo, not Our Wr's. All You need is one really good reciever and a decent second option. We have more then that, We've always had that. Even back with Carter.

Bottom line is if Romo can play well all year and stay consistant I dont see how we dont make some noise in the playoffs. Conisdering the other key factors dont crumble into the ground by injuries or bad play.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm firmly in the wait-and-see camp.

I know in some cases the receivers make the quarterback and in others, the quarterbacks makes the receivers.

I hope that Romo is the latter type but there's no guarantees.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
stasheroo;2772905 said:
I'm firmly in the wait-and-see camp.

I know in some cases the receivers make the quarterback and in others, the quarterbacks makes the receivers.

I hope that Romo is the latter type but there's no guarantees.

It is not like TO was laying out for passes or making Randy Moss type plays many of the big plays to TO where on the money. TO clearly helped Romo by getting open but I don't think TO was carrying Romo

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101;2772910 said:
It is not like TO was laying out for passes or making Randy Moss type plays many of the big plays to TO where on the money. TO clearly helped Romo by getting open but I don't think TO was carrying Romo

A few quarterbacks had career years throwing to Terrell Owens, that's all I'm saying.

The guy might not be what he once was, but he's still among the game's elite receivers, and Romo's never been 'Romo' without him to this point.

So for me, I'll have to wait until the season starts and see how either player does without the other.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
stasheroo;2772922 said:
A few quarterbacks had career years throwing to Terrell Owens, that's all I'm saying.

The guy might not be what he once was, but he's still among the game's elite receivers, and Romo's never been 'Romo' without him to this point.

So for me, I'll have to wait until the season starts and see how either player does without the other.

That sounds fair enough

fortdick

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;2772728 said:
:star: QB Tony Romo:star:

The media reports are looking at our roster of WR's with very little respect for 09. However, I believe they are making a huge mistake wth their assumption that Roy Williams cannot replace T.O. and Austin is not a legit number 2.

What these so-called-experts are failing to comprehend is the player throwing the pigskin to these talented WR's......oh, don't forget our All Pro TE and a future Pro Bowler in Bennett.

ROMO is a star folks and as he enters only his 3rd year of being our starter he is going to show the entire NFL.

He has the quickest release in the NFL today........and IF our offensive line can stay healthy and provide ROMO the time to look down field and read his progressions then he will lead the league.

ROMO during his time as a starting QB has the NFL best 4th qtr quarterback rating......that is special folks.

My point is, ROMO will make our excellent set of WR's .........outstanding in 09!:star:

Crazy Cowboy is pumped over the potential this year. He is back in form and the world is, once again, spinning in greased grooves.

FCBarca

Reaction score
The counter to this argument is citing the very same reason - Tony Romo.

Even with a Hall of Famer WR at #1, Tony couldn't find the #2 receiver who was facing a lot less double coverage than the #1...Plus all the late game mistakes & decision making etc.?

Tony fits right into the question marks list for '09-'10, as well...There are few areas of stability, strengths or depth on the club, IMHO...RB heads that list but QB does not, IMHO...It's not nearly the question mark WR is but a lot remains to be seen with Romo

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Hostile;2772785 said:
No player is irreplacable. Not even the great and mighty Terrell "I Love Me Some Me" Eldorado Owens.

Well said. I agree completely.

Apollo Creed;2772797 said:
Darren Woodson has been pretty irreplacable for us.

Not because he's not replaceble but because this team has sucked at attempting to do it. I do miss Woody though, without a doubt.

stasheroo;2772922 said:

Romo has played all of one game (half the Carolina and half the Washington) game without Owens so I'm not sure how anyone can say Romo's never been Romo without TO. He's never had the shot to be.

However we did see that TO wasn't TO without Romo this last season when for 3 games TO couldn't get much out of a piss poor Brad Johnson.

Now, obviously, the vast majority of that lies in the fact that Johnson sucked, I don't deny that at all, but if TO was the be all end all that some think he is, and that he just makes QBs, then surely, as bad as Johnson is, he should have been able to make him play better cause he's TO.

Also go back to before Romo was starting. TO was doing ok, for the most part, but he wasn't setting the world on fire with Drew. Once Romo got in there TO began to really boom for us.

TO was good for Tony, I can't see how anyone could dispute that, but Tony was also good for TO and I don't know how anyone could dispute that.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
JIMMYBUFFETT;2772780 said:
I'd say Witten is the #1 receiver , Williams #2 , Austin #3 , Bennett #4 , and Crayton #5 . A receiver is anybody who can catch the ball in my opinion , and I really like what Dallas has at the receiver position . No doubt that TO will be missed , but I think Dallas can have a very good controlled passing game using Witten , Bennett , Felix , and Crayton on the short stuff and still threatening deep with Williams and Austin . There's more than one way to skin a cat .

You forgot the RBs - Felix , MB and TC. The RBs caught 30% of the balls if I am not wrong.

:)

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
DallasEast;2773002 said:
March 8, 2009...

May 13, 2009...

:rake:

You beat me to it. But because his prejudices are in favor of a Cowboy player, he won't be called on it.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I didn't remember him saying that....I wonder if I missed that thread. *Shrugs* I can't remember anymore.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I don't understand why anyone thinks RW11 has to have similar numbers to TO for the offense to be productive. If he just has an average year of 50-60 catches and 7-8 TDs, thats 75% of TO's #'s right there. Then there is Austin who should put up career #'s, Felix who missed 10 games last year, Bennett who has another years experience and could easily put up increased #'s this year, and Choice who should see increased playing time. RW11 and those 4 guys should easily outproduce last year's totals with TO.

Some people act like you just have to take a guys #'s and remove them from the offense as if every play they made would have been incomplete or produced 0 yards without them. If TO was not around last year, all the plays that went to him would simply have been thrown to someone else. The numbers may be slightly less but not that much. I think the guys I mentioned above can easily outproduce the numbers they had last year and more than make up for the loss of TO. All RW11 has to do is have a decent year, nothing spectacular and the offense will be fine.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
DallasDomination;2772883 said:
It's always been about romo, not Our Wr's. All You need is one really good reciever and a decent second option. We have more then that, We've always had that. Even back with Carter.

Bottom line is if Romo can play well all year and stay consistant I dont see how we dont make some noise in the playoffs. Conisdering the other key factors dont crumble into the ground by injuries or bad play.

Good post.

Sometimes you don't even need the 1 excellent receiver. Just a solid one.

NFL is all about the Quarterback. Not the Receiver.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Cowboys22;2773069 said:
I don't understand why anyone thinks RW11 has to have similar numbers to TO for the offense to be productive. If he just has an average year of 50-60 catches and 7-8 TDs, thats 75% of TO's #'s right there. Then there is Austin who should put up career #'s, Felix who missed 10 games last year, Bennett who has another years experience and could easily put up increased #'s this year, and Choice who should see increased playing time. RW11 and those 4 guys should easily outproduce last year's totals with TO.

Some people act like you just have to take a guys #'s and remove them from the offense as if every play they made would have been incomplete or produced 0 yards without them. If TO was not around last year, all the plays that went to him would simply have been thrown to someone else. The numbers may be slightly less but not that much. I think the guys I mentioned above can easily outproduce the numbers they had last year and more than make up for the loss of TO. All RW11 has to do is have a decent year, nothing spectacular and the offense will be fine.

Because there are plenty of people who think you have to have one guy making a ton of the plays and if you don't have him he has to be replaced by one person making those plays. For whatever reason a lot of people seem to not like the idea, or understand the idea, that you can spread that guys numbers around to multiple people and be just as effective, if not more so, because the ball is getting into the hands of multiple playmakers, instead of one.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
Cowboys22;2773069 said:

Why would you give up a 1st, 3rd, and 6th. Pay him 5 years 45 million dollars, the richest WR contract in football - for a guy to just have a 'decent' year.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Hostile;2772798 said:
I didn't rank TO ahead of Witten for the last 2 years. Which is exactly why TO had problems. He wasn't content to score, he needed to be the focus.
This is the sound of a fan that knows we're on a sinking ship.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2772734 said:
Our #2 WR is not Austin. Our #2 WR is Witten until Austin proves he can step up. I'm not worried about our WR's because we also have Bennett and Felix.

I would argue Witten is our #1 option.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
CATCH17;2773070 said:
Good post.

Sometimes you don't even need the 1 excellent receiver. Just a solid one.

NFL is all about the Quarterback. Not the Receiver.
And this is where our problem is.

superpunk

Reaction score
Moxie is Supah quarterback numbah 1. CC droppin' truth bombs today.