Zoners: I say this player is DONE in Big D

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Mansta54;2069641 said:
Because JJ and WP have said so with every chance they get. They've been singing his praises and talking about how he's killing our secondary in pratices and practice is where you get better. They see him on a regular basis, we don't so I have to take their word for it.....

They did the same thing with Petitti and Quincy ...... right before they cut them.

But you are probably right about Stanback.

Eskimo

Reaction score
TheCount;2069780 said:
Since when do we start factoring pass interferences into a players statistics?

Point to specific plays? We've got a lot of players that made plays if you want to point to specific ones, including two that were recently traded.

You can't discount the PIs that he draws with his speed. It is as good as making the reception. Without those PIs, maybe we don't beat the Packers.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Austin only got thrown to 10 times in 17 games. Those blowing his horn need to think about that number.

Eskimo

Reaction score
I think people are being too harsh on Austin.

He has not gotten much of a chance as a WR and for the amount of chances he was given, he was more productive than Hurd.

People here also like to discount his performance as KR but his average is good and he has returned one for a TD. He has good instincts and vision when going throug the wedge and runs through arm tackles well. He has had problems evading the kicker - I think he just needs to learn to slow down a touch to make a move.

As a WR he has demonstrated the ability to get open deep very well. Many players with more speed have not shown that same ability. He plays fast in pads. I also think if given some more chances he will prove to be a good RAC guys because he runs with much more authority than most WRs.

Will he translate his potential into production? I don't know. I do like his chances of being a #2 WR better than Hurd who is too limited physically to ever amount to much IMO. I look forward to seeing if he can make that final step this season.

If he isn't going to make the roster, hopefully we can trade him to NO or Miami because I think he he'll end up with one of those teams if we cut him.

Eskimo

Reaction score
burmafrd;2069886 said:
Austin only got thrown to 10 times in 17 games. Those blowing his horn need to think about that number.

He has been a project. He only saw action maybe the last 4 or 5 games of the season.

Nexx

Reaction score
Cowboy4ever;2069612 said:
i agree,, i think Austin is done in Dallas. He was not even that good of a kick returner.. great speed,,, no wiggle at all. Unless this kid as an AMAZING camp.. i see no way he is on the Roster this fall.

+1, brick hands, poor route runner, no wiggle (can't juke out kickers), show very little instict, only thing he has going for him are size and speed.

cya austin!

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
TheCount;2069780 said:
Since when do we start factoring pass interferences into a players statistics?

Point to specific plays? We've got a lot of players that made plays if you want to point to specific ones, including two that were recently traded.

Your daft if you think that the fact that he forced the GB and Gaint's defenders to foul him wasn't a good play or that it should just be discounted.

He was thrown at 10 times and 4 of them resulted in gains of over 30 yards. 3 wre PI calls but there was the 35 yard catch against Carolina.

I am sorry but when he beats his man so bad that he has to grossly foul him or give up a TD for 70 yards thats a good play. He had two in one game.

His ability to get seperation from NFL CBs is rare. he needs to work on his hands but that seperation should jump out at you but you have Amendola as your pet cat so you have to bash someone to get him on the roster.

Point to me two plays that Ayodele made.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Nexx;2069890 said:
+1, brick hands, poor route runner, no wiggle (can't juke out kickers), show very little instict, only thing he has going for him are size and speed.

cya austin!

The reason he gets so open is because of the cuts he makes on his routes. this is about as misinformed made up nonsensical as one can get.

links18

Reaction score
How many times last year did Austin get tackled by the kicker?!! I know it was more than once.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Mansta54;2069710 said:
You're absolutely correct, that's why they praise him every chance they get. Some folks don't understand that you can get better through practice. Obviously, WP and JJ have seen Stanback do just that...
some folks seem to forget he doesn't get hit in practice.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FuzzyLumpkins
He was thrown at 10 times had 3 defensive pass interferences, 2 drops and 5 receptions.

ok.....so he drops the ball 20 percent of the time....actuall more then that if you factor in the fact that a flag was thrown on 3 of those 10 attempts......that is a high percentage

Roberto Duran and Miles Austin have something in common within two different sports. (the same nickname)

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Doomsday Duck;2069650 said:
what else are JJ and WP suppose to say about a kid they took a chance on with a 4th round pick that was not a WR/KR?

They could have said nothing at all, but offered the praise unsolicited.

bsheeern

Reaction score
look bigger picture.. you don't always replace someone with a player who plays a lot like the other. Especially in offense. I'd take the short route, solid hands, chain mover wr over a speed burner, kickoff return guy, who has suspect hands and cant seperate himselft from miles austin....just my 2 cents

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
I think it's a bit premature to discard Austin considering he was a small-school project to begin with and has made a decent contribution on special teams while, hopefully, honing his skills at WR. Let's see what he does during training camp and preseason before handing his roster spot to an unproven rookie.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
jobberone;2069762 said:
No one is saying he has legendary speed. He is just pretty dang fast. He seems to get open with his speed which isn't that easy. And he is a pretty good KR. But you're right. He will likely have to make the team as a WR. And unless he can show enough he will likely be knocked off by Stanback and ??other WR.

Stanback was already on the team so how is he going to knock him off the roster. The only WR being talked about is Amendola and my bet is that he'll take Glenn's place.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
links18;2069904 said:
How many times last year did Austin get tackled by the kicker?!! I know it was more than once.

Actually, if your getting tackled by the kicker, haven't you done a good job? :confused:

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
starfrombirth;2069963 said:
Actually, if your getting tackled by the kicker, haven't you done a good job? :confused:
getting tackled by the kicker is like a pitcher giving up a homerun to another pitcher in baseball.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2069892 said:
The reason he gets so openis because of the cuts he makes on his routes. this is about as misinformed made up nonsensical as one can get.

FuzzyLumpkins;2069749 said:
He blew up GBs corners and they are supposed to be the best tandem in the league. He also was good against the Giants and another team i think it was Carolina.

The guy just doesn't get open he gets 3 yards of seperation open and is fast enough that DBs cannot catch him. If he works on his hands then hes a solid number 3. He has flags, posts and gos down. If he is working on comebacks, curls, posts and other intermediate routes then he could easily be a number two.

The guy is improving his game every year. His rookie year, he came in and did well on ST. This past year he came on as a receiver. Now granted he has to make the next step but hes made every step so far.

Contradict much?