Zoners: I say this player is DONE in Big D

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;2069919 said:
ok.....so he drops the ball 20 percent of the time....actuall more then that if you factor in the fact that a flag was thrown on 3 of those 10 attempts......that is a high percentage

Roberto Duran and Miles Austin have something in common within two different sports. (the same nickname)

I fail to see how him being interfered with is a negative on his side. The opponent had to foul. Thats a good play.

Hey like I said, its disconcerting. At the same time, its also a small sample size and considering how young he is its something he can work on. We shall see how he performs in preseason and in camps and I can all but guarantee you he will get his shot. he deserves it after his play at the end of the season.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Rampage;2069968 said:
getting tackled by the kicker is like a pitcher giving up a homerun to another pitcher in baseball.

No its like striking out everyone in the order only to give up a hit to the pitcher.

He beat everyone else.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
ajk23az;2069970 said:
Contradict much?

Its not my fault you cannot understand how the word 'just' applies to how the second sentence should be interpreted.

Im saying that he not only gets open but he gets really really open.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2070004 said:
Its not my fault you cannot understand how the word 'just' applies to how the second sentence should be interpreted.

Im saying that he not only gets open but he gets really really open.

Actually, Austin CANT get open when running anything but posts, and gos.

Out of the 10 times he was thrown to, I would bet 5-7 of them were of that type.

And if he gets really really open like you say, you'd think he would get more than 10 balls thrown to him and have more catches, AND get more playing time.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
ajk23az;2070010 said:
Actually, Austin CANT get open when running anything but posts, and gos.

Out of the 10 times he was thrown to, I would bet 5-7 of them were of that type.

And if he gets really really open like you say, you'd think he would get more than 10 balls thrown to him and have more catches, AND get more playing time.

Those are the routes that he was asked to run and he did well. His playing time did increase.

He has done well in limited opportunities. im not saying hes Chad Johnson out there. Im just saying hes better than most of the other WR we have.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2070013 said:
Those are the routes that he was asked to run and he did well. His playing time did increase.

He has done well in limited opportunities. im not saying hes Chad Johnson out there. Im just saying hes better than most of the other WR we have.

I wonder why he was only asked to run those routes :rolleyes:

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I'm happy to see a few people defending Austin, cause I'm of the VERY few who thinks he COULD be special.

Seperation, quickness, strength, power, STONE HANDS. But give him a real chance in pre-season, start him if you have too, including Stanback. Let's make for DANG sure he is or isn't the real deal, I'd hate to lose him to a team and he starts to hold on to the ball.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2069999 said:
I can all but guarantee you he will get his shot. he deserves it after his play at the end of the season.

What did he do at the end of the season? Holy crap, the way you're defending the guy, you'd think he actually did anything other than catch 5 balls all season. 5 balls in his 2nd year in the league?

If you look at Austin's receiving numbers compared with other guys in the league you'll find his name next to guys like: Wallace Wright, Shaun Bodiford, and Willie Reid. Who? Exactly.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2070013 said:

lioncut2.png

Hi, I'm Fuzzy's pet cat, Miles.

jjktkk

Reaction score
Austin is gonna have to step it up this year or hes probably gone. His main competition will be Hurd, who has so far shown better hands, Stanbeck, Jefferson, Ammendola, Bradford, and Polk. Could potentially be a pretty big shakeup this year for the #4 wr on down.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I would like to see Austin make the team. In fact, I wouldn't be shocked to see Hurd get cut before Austin. Not saying thats what I want to see but just that I wouldn't be shocked. Hurd was the better player last season but I don't think Hurd has the potential that Austin does.

Austin may never reach that potential but he has some good things going for him.

Hes bigger and faster then Hurd and IMO, he runs better Routes.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Eskimo;2069889 said:
He has been a project. He only saw action maybe the last 4 or 5 games of the season.

I agree Miles has seen limited action.

I agree that Miles shows glimmers of greatness, mainly on special teams, but isn't consistent, overall.

Unfortunately and unfortuously for Austin, there is now a logjam of receivers.
Special teams alone won't keep him on the team.

It's amazing how many people responded to a poll and overwhelmingly said they were excited about the possible emergence of Stanback. Not only is that intriguing from obviously offensive benefits, but it just might take care of the need shop FA.

So a Stanback rise would be great in two ways.

I think Miles is out and Jerra seems to like Armendola out of Texas Tech plus Stanback and Hurd as backups or maybe pretenders to Crayton's No. 2. position.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
ajk23az;2070014 said:
I wonder why he was only asked to run those routes :rolleyes:

Because with TO out he was the only WR on the roster who could stretch the field. Keep trying and maybe youll come up with something that makes sense.

Actually he made a nice reception on a slant with a guy draped all over him too.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
GimmeTheBall!;2070031 said:
It's amazing how many people responded to a poll and overwhelmingly said they were excited about the possible emergence of Stanback. Not only is that intriguing from obviously offensive benefits, but it just might take care of the need shop FA.
I hate to use the word hype, but Stanback has been spoken very highly off since he was drafted. That only fuels everyone's excitement.

With the need we have at WR there is a tremendous benefit of him succeeding. If nothing else this eliminates the need for Jerry to make an effort to add a playmaking WR this summer. Possibly even next year.

On a side note - regardless of what happens with the WR position this year, I'd really like to see us draft a stud next April.

BIGDen

Dr. Freakasaurus
Reaction score
Austin clearly needs to show better hands, but he's a young talent with upside. If he shows improvement in his ability to catch while Hurd, Stanback, and Amendola impress, I wouldn't be surprised if it's GLENN who is cut. Obviously TO and Crayton (new contract basically guarantees spot) make the team, but if Glenn can't stay healthy during training camp or looks to have lost a step, he might be gone. It would not be worth it to keep around an undersized, old, gimpy receiver. Don't me wrong, I like Glenn as much as anybody but he needs to show he can be counted on.

DeepBleu

Reaction score
it's only may right now. maybe austin, stanback, or another player will surprise us with their improvement come train camp or preseason. by the end of august, we'll know who the top 5 or 6 wide receivers for the cowboys are.