Zoners: I was thinking how important this 08 Draft is for us

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Zoners

We CANNOT mess this draft up!

No Carps at #1.....ah, No Crap at #1.... I meant to say!

CB or RB at #1......must be a talent!

Go Cowboys! :star:

The Rawhide Kid

Gunslinger
Reaction score
A bad draft this year wouldn't ruin us, but I do think this might be the one which decides whether or not we can be superbowl contenders for years to come, just IMO. If we mess this one up, then next year's draft will be spent fixing the problems.

jdnoyes

Reaction score
I think its too late to worry about the 07 draft, but yes the 08 draft is pretty important.

QT

Reaction score
There were ALOT of people on board with Carp on this forum; saying he was a safe pick. You know who you are. I HATED THE PICK. I remember I exactly where I was when I heard the Cowboys picking Carpenter. I was eating Taco Cabana and was about to puke when I heard the pick. I wanted Manny Lawson, but what can you do. Granted there were many people on this board that wanted Lawson also, but in hindsight, we all know Cromarte was the stud in the draft....

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
im one of the ones that wanted manny too, still do to a degree,

carpenter is ok, but he is type of player that has to be pushed, and at the same time, the cowboys need to leave him at ONE POSITION!!!!!!!!!

THEY CANT KEEP MOVING HIM FROM OUTSIDE LINEBACKER TO INSIDE LINEBACKER AND BACK OUT AGAIN, AND THEN PLAY HIM AT DEFENSIVE END SOME, AND THEN HAVE HIM PLAY IN THE PASS COVERAGE WHEN JUST 2 LINEBACKERS ARE PLAYING

AGAIN IF YOU REMEMBER ABOUT WADE PHILLIPS HE SAID, HE MAY HAVE MADE A MISTAKE ABOUT NOT PLAYING HIM ENOUGH LAST YEAR,

SO, to a degree it was carpenters fault, and the coaches fault, and then on top of that, you got to remember carpenter had a nasty thigh injury, which he should have had surgery

FINALLY, ONE OF THE 3 THINGS THAT THE GREAT TOM LANDY TOLD PARCELLS WAS THAT, you need to keep a player at least 3 years, if he doenst show anything by his 3rd year in training camp, then he is a bust,

so give carpenter a chance, BUT AT SAME TIME, YES, WE CANT MAKE MISTAKES THIS YEAR IN THE DRAFT, WE NEED PLAYERS THAT CAN HELP US THIS YEAR IN THE DRAFT

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
I forgot to add, this is what carpenter needs to do in my opinion,

he needs to get stronger in the weight room, still keep his speed, but get bigger and stronger, no more BACKING UP ON RUNNING PLAYS ETC, HE NEEDS TO ATTACK, SHED BLOCKS AND ATTACK

NO MORE EXCUSES FOR CARPENTER, AND THE COACHES NEED TO PLAY HIM!!!

AND NO MORE OF THIS NONSENSE THAT WADE PHILLIPS DOESNT LIKE TO PLAY ROOKIES, THEY NEED EXPERIENCE, AND THEY MUST PLAY, THERE WERE PLENTY OF TIMES LAST YEAR WHEN THE COWBOYS WERE WINNING, THEY COULD HAVE PLAYED DOUG FREE MORE AND JAMES MARTEN, ETC,

ROOKIES MUST PLAY WHEN CHANCE IS THERE, IF ROOKIES LIKE FOLK AND DEION ANDERSON COULD PLAY, SO CAN DOUG FREE, JAMES MARTEN, STANBACK, ETC,

QT

Reaction score
It's gonna be hard for Carp to get playing time this coming up year. If he moves outside, then he's behind Ware, Ellis, and Spencer. If he stays inside then there are even more players he's behind. Obviously he hasn't showed much in practice to move him in the rotation consistently.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
QuanTran, i understand what your saying, about carpenters playing time, but i think and this maybe a surprise to some people, but I think that Akin Odolye will be traded this year, possibly to the atlanta falcons.

First, reason being Akin hasnt had a fumble or caused one, or had a interception, in the years he has been with Dallas, that is terrible for an inside linebacker, just awful.

Second, if you have noticed, the head coach now, was the defensive coordinator when he was with Jacksonville, and he coached Akin, and there have been rumors about him being shipped off to atlanta. Smith, now the head coach of atlanta knows akin, and AKIN IS A 4-3 LINEBACKER, NOT A 3-4.

True, with zach thomas coming in, he will play inside linebacker, but he cant hold up all 16 games, so, thats where carpenter comes in, and he is our best pass coverage linebacker too, even better than burnett in my opinion. So, with akin probably being traded, thats where carpenter can step in and finally play, get a groove going,

QT

Reaction score
I hope so Cowboyjoe, b/c when we drafted carp, I was thinking, he's too slow to be an outside LB, and he's kinda small to be an inside LB.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
cowboyjoe;2006162 said:
QuanTran, i understand what your saying, about carpenters playing time, but i think and this maybe a surprise to some people, but I think that Akin Odolye will be traded this year, possibly to the atlanta falcons.

First, reason being Akin hasnt had a fumble or caused one, or had a interception, in the years he has been with Dallas, that is terrible for an inside linebacker, just awful.

Second, if you have noticed, the head coach now, was the defensive coordinator when he was with Jacksonville, and he coached Akin, and there have been rumors about him being shipped off to atlanta. Smith, now the head coach of atlanta knows akin, and AKIN IS A 4-3 LINEBACKER, NOT A 3-4.

True, with zach thomas coming in, he will play inside linebacker, but he cant hold up all 16 games, so, thats where carpenter comes in, and he is our best pass coverage linebacker too, even better than burnett in my opinion. So, with akin probably being traded, thats where carpenter can step in and finally play, get a groove going,
Beat me to it. Very good post. If Akin does indeed get traded (I think he will also) that could be the opening Carp needs to see more playing time.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
QuanTran;2006175 said:
I hope so Cowboyjoe, b/c when we drafted carp, I was thinking, he's too slow to be an outside LB, and he's kinda small to be an inside LB.

I don't agree with him being small for an inside backer in this scheme...I mean how big is Bruschi??? To me it will all come down to toughness, can he be tough enough to play the position...that I am not so sure about.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;2006074 said:
Zoners

We CANNOT mess this draft up!

No Carps at #1.....ah, No Crap at #1.... I meant to say!

CB or RB at #1......must be a talent!

Go Cowboys! :star:

nice read.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
right on, oh canada, thats to me is the biggest issue, is he tough enough and nasty,

i kept reading that he would back up when runners ran at him, you cant do that as a linebacker, now again, it could have been after he had that thigh tear, so i say give him the benefit of the doubt,

but we as fans need to call out coach wade phillips about his issue not wanting to play rookies, heck how are they going to learn if you dont play them, like we still dont know about doug free or james marten,

and wade phillips did say he doesnt like to play rookies, and he admitted that he didnt play carpenter enough in preseason, so that thinking has to change,
then the biggest issue is this;

SURE THIS DRAFT NEEDS TO HIT WITH OUR 2 NUMBER ONE PICKS, HOWEVER THEY ARE USED, BUT WE MUST FIND OUT WHY THE COWBOYS ARE ALWAYS FLAT IN DECEMBER, THAT NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED, YOU CANT LAY ON YOUR LAURELS LIKE WADE PHILLIPS SAID, THAT WE WON 13 GAMES, BUT WHEN IT COUNTED, YOU DIDNT WIN, THATS WHAT DALLAS ALWAYS DOES IN DECEMBER LAY AN EGG, WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!

David276

Benched
Reaction score
i think this is the least important draft for us in the last 5 years the 06 one with carp really hurt us. we just need a few key pieces and depth.

sago1

Reaction score
Frankly I don't remember Wade saying he didn't like to play rookies.

He started Anthony Spencer & he played pretty good too. Certainly don't blame Wade for replacing Spencer with Ellis once Ellis was healthy. Reality is that Ellis better then Spencer at that point in his football career. Wade also said on more then one occasion how well Spencer was doing & he had to get him on the field more.

Also presume Wade on board with Garrett decision to start Deon Anderson when Hoyte got hurt and then continue to stay with Anderson when Hoyte healthy enough to return. In fact Wade commented after Hoyte got hurt how well he was playing and how difficult it was to replace them on ST as well as at FB. Presume Wade made the call to cut Hoyte a few weeks ago.

Finally presume it was Wade's call to go with Nick Folk rather then stay with veteran Marten Gramatica.

As for not giving Free & Marten playing time during the season, usually coaches like to keep continuity on the OL because unit cohesian is especially important. And frankly doubt if would have been fair to either of the younger rookie tackles nor to McQuistan who was in his 2nd year and figured to be further along in his development since he would have participated in our weight conditioning program in the offseason -- something which both Free & Marten will start on March 31. Same goes for all of last year's rookie & all will benefit from it, particularly both OTs, Spencer, etc.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
wade phillips did say that he doesnt like to play rookies,when several media guys asked him why he wasnt playing doug free, james marten and stanback

i agree about the continiuty of the offensive line, but what i was talking about playing those rookies,was i am certain you remember the ram game, we were running away with in the 4th quarter, and several other games too, in those games in 4th quarter is when i would have played free, marter, etc, even the last few games, when we had the divisioin locked up, and they pulled romo out of the Commander game, then i would have played those rookies, etc,

i do agree about anderson, spencer, folk, but at that time, wade phlllips was stuck to a degreee to play them, but when he doesnt have to, he said he doenst like to play rookies,

David276

Benched
Reaction score
i dont know this team needs proven players. at cb pac man is our best choice sadly even though i think he is going to wreck. we still need depth so a day 1 cb is nessesary . which is more important to people on here wr or rb with our rd ones.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
sago1;2006271 said:
Frankly I don't remember Wade saying he didn't like to play rookies.

He started Anthony Spencer & he played pretty good too. Certainly don't blame Wade for replacing Spencer with Ellis once Ellis was healthy. Reality is that Ellis better then Spencer at that point in his football career. Wade also said on more then one occasion how well Spencer was doing & he had to get him on the field more.

Also presume Wade on board with Garrett decision to start Deon Anderson when Hoyte got hurt and then continue to stay with Anderson when Hoyte healthy enough to return. In fact Wade commented after Hoyte got hurt how well he was playing and how difficult it was to replace them on ST as well as at FB. Presume Wade made the call to cut Hoyte a few weeks ago.

Finally presume it was Wade's call to go with Nick Folk rather then stay with veteran Marten Gramatica.

As for not giving Free & Marten playing time during the season, usually coaches like to keep continuity on the OL because unit cohesian is especially important. And frankly doubt if would have been fair to either of the younger rookie tackles nor to McQuistan who was in his 2nd year and figured to be further along in his development since he would have participated in our weight conditioning program in the offseason -- something which both Free & Marten will start on March 31. Same goes for all of last year's rookie & all will benefit from it, particularly both OTs, Spencer, etc.

Cowboys' special teams miss Davis | ***BANNED-URL***: Inside Valley ...Phillips doesn’t really like playing rookies unless he has no choice or ... That hasn’t happened yet, so I expect the Cowboys to continue playing at a high ...