Zoners: Most of you will not like this...

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Rampage;2104365 said:
ain't it cool:p:

Yeah. Almost enough to wish we had resigned Nate and Reeves, so we could go back to arguing over which one sucks the most. That'd show em.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
I'm gonna have to disagree. I just don't see Pacman as a better athlete or corner than Newman.

Newman ran a 4.37 at the combine and Pacman ran a 4.38. While that isn't much of a difference, Newman was faster and hasn't had a year off to lose his quickness so I don't see how some are giving Pacman the nod there.
Newman had more INTS, PDs and Tackles over his first two years and has only gotten better, so I don't see how Pacman gets the nod here either.

The only area you could give Pacman the nod is punt returner, but he had twice as many opportunities as Newman, so who knows how that would have worked out for Newman had he been given the opportunities. Newman isn't one sneeze away from a lifetime ban, so that plays even further into the comparisons.

Pacman hasn't shown he is a better corner than Newman yet, so at this point I'd concentrate on whether he'll even be in the league this year before we say he'd be better than Newman.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
TheCount;2104376 said:
Yeah. Almost enough to wish we had resigned Nate and Reeves, so we could go back to arguing over which one sucks the most.

My vote is in.

http://img228.*************/img228/4130/huy54zh6.jpg

DallasDomination

Reaction score
I think Newman has better coverage skills but pacman is a better overall Cornerback...just my opinion.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2104374 said:
Newman is faster, is a better athlete and has been a better cornerback. Jones has better return skills and is younger.

From what I've read here, I get the feeling Jones is being somewhat underrated.

The guy was the first CB drafted with the 6th pick of the 2005 draft. So he has the pedigree. In addition to that, he did earn a probowl invitation in 2006, only his 2nd season. So to a large extent, you'd have to say that pedigree or promise was realized.

So the question I have for you Adam is what is the league's consensus opinion on Pacman?

I'm sure he's a top 20 CB, but is he top 10?

Where does the Newman/Jones duo rank?

How about the Newman/Jones/Henry trio rank?

Shady12

Reaction score
I think Pacman is a better athlete. In a straight line, maybe Newman by a hair, I don't know. But that's not the only factor in being an athlete, especially a football playing athlete.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
sonnyboy;2104473 said:
From what I've read here, I get the feeling Jones is being somewhat underrated.

The guy was the first CB drafted with the 6th pick of the 2005 draft. So he has the pedigree. In addition to that, he did earn a probowl invitation in 2006, only his 2nd season.

Jones has never been selected for the Pro Bowl. He was an alternate as a kick returner in 2006, but he has never even been an alternate at cornerback.

So to a large extent, you'd have to say that pedigree or promise was realized.

So the question I have for you Adam is what is the league's consensus opinion on Pacman?

I'm sure he's a top 20 CB, but is he top 10?

In 2006, Jones probably was around 10th-12th. Maybe slightly higher.

Where does the Newman/Jones duo rank?

How about the Newman/Jones/Henry trio rank?

If Jones can return to his 2006 form, I'd put our cornerback duo/trio at the top of the league. Philadelphia would be close. Denver and Green Bay thought they'd have good ones, but Dre Bly and Al Harris struggled. Oakland might compare athletically, especially because they're young, but DeAngelo Hall has been beaten far too often early in his career.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Newman has been a better CB for years. He is faster and is better at shutting down WRs. Crazy is just that.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Shady12;2104486 said:
I think Pacman is a better athlete. In a straight line, maybe Newman by a hair, I don't know. But that's not the only factor in being an athlete, especially a football playing athlete.

Newman's vertical was 3 inches higher than Jones' vertical (41 inches to 38). Newman had one of the fastest shuttle times in Combine history (3.83). And Newman's straight-line speed is well known as a world-class track athlete (6.62 in the 60 meters and 10.20 in the 100).

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Its not even close.

Newman never gets burned. Pacman has been known to let a few deep balls get by him. Like I said, hes more like a Deangelo Hall than Newman. A gambling playmaker who is not shutdown

Kangaroo

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;2103789 said:
PACMAN is a more talented CB then TNew

Remember, you read it here first and by the Thanksgiving day game EVERYONE will be in love with PACMAN's talents. :cool:

Nope; I never liked Deion and to this day I still do not.

I am still not a TO fan and never have been

So I can careless if he picks 10 for td's I still do not like him

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;2104533 said:
Its not even close.

Newman never gets burned. Pacman has been known to let a few deep balls get by him. Like I said, hes more like a Deangelo Hall than Newman. A gambling playmaker who is not shutdown

I'm not sure why you keep saying this. Jones has been much closer to Newman than to DeAngelo Hall. Jones' shutdown numbers (catches and yards allowed) were very good in each of his first two seasons. Hall usually has been near the bottom of the league.

Based on the numbers kept by STATS LLC, Jones allowed about .09 catches and 1.07 yards for every pass play he was on the field in 2005 and 2006. Newman allowed about .07 catches and 0.99 yards per pass play. And Hall allowed about .12 catches and 1.74 yards. So if they each played 500 pass plays (about one season's worth), Newman would allow 35 catches and 495 yards, Jones 45 catches and 535 yards and Hall 60 catches for 870 yards.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
So basically, Newman is slightly faster, quicker and more of a playmaker at CB, while Jones is just a shade behind but more of a playmaker at punt returner. Assuming he gets back in shape, our secondary and special teams should be awesome this year.

dooomsday

Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;2104063 said:
I just watched the old Cowboys/Titans game. Jones was very good at bump and run but he was burned by Terry Glenn for TD and TO would have had a TD on him too had he hung onto the pass.

Are you saying Glenn is better than TO? Or more talented?