“Don’t pay Dak” crowd, what’s your QB solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
True, the last rumor was about the same money (105M). The thing about Dak not taking the deal last year is that he'll really never recover the 30+ million he would have made last year. Signing for 5 years last offseason would have still given him another big contract in the same timeframe he wants now. If you add up the money, he should have signed last year if they were giving him similar money.

Dak didn't "lose $30 million." Any contract he signed would have been an extension that would start this year regardless. The only thing that happened is he did not yet get his signing bonus but he will once he is signed.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Are you suggesting that 6% differencial in accuracy makes Dak elite compard to Dalton ? and that 6% is worth 32+ million a year ?? Millions we need to fix a spotty defense and other holes.

Moreover, there are fundamental and profound reasons for the difference in stats you stated:

1- Dallas has a way superior OL
2- Dallas has a superir RB and running game
3- WR position at Dallas is superior
4- Dak's positive stats after the game has already been lost (during futile comeback attempts ) is alarming and many analysts deem them as empty stats.
5- Don't forget the intangibles : Dak missed out on crucial throws at the most critical games , dating back to 2018. This cannot be quantified easily.
Nowhere in my post did I say Dak was elite, nor did I say that his 6% higher completion percentage is worth $32M. I'm simply pointing out that Dalton was called "accurate" and Dak is apparently somebody that lucks into a high completion %. No question that Dak misses some throws, just like every QB that has ever played the game. Do I think he is worth $35M? Nope, but that's what he's going to get. Do I think Dalton is a better QB? Also nope. All these extra millions that you want to spend on the defense wouldn't be spent this year in a way to make a significant difference. They also won't be there next year because you would have to pay Dalton $25M+ to keep him around, assuming that he has a great year. If he doesn't, you are back to square one with some rookie crap shoot.

Our WR's are superior, yet they dropped the ball more than Cincy's last year?

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
The real question is why tag Dak?

30m is a lot of money for someone who more than likely isnt going to be with the team much longer and isnt a clear upgrade on what's already on the roster.

If Dak were a UFA from another team, would you sign him on a 1 year 30m deal? I think deep down we all know the answer.

Yes, he would have been the #1 free agent had he been available.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yes but they got the extra year due to being first round picks, but the extension were 4 years

They actually got two extra years but that's here nor there. The fact that its a new contract we are discussing with Dak and an extension with Goff, Wentz and Wilson are key IMO. There is just a lot more flexibility to work with in those situations. I wished Dak would have taken the extension and then renegotiated in a couple years. Would have been a lot easier IMO but he didn't do that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Got to look at the payment, guaranteed, over the term of the contract and where QB salaries will be in 3-4 years.

Some feel Mahomes will set the ceiling but I am not so sure, it doesn't have as much to do with who is considered the best as who got the last deal. Prescott could be #1 this season and not even in the top 5 in 2021 and barely in the top 10 in 2022. When you consider just how far this has come in such a short period of time, there is no ceiling. If any team thinks they have their guy, or close enough to it, they're going to pull the trigger on the deal rather than take a chance.

And here's the kicker. All of these posters thinking paying Prescott prevents them from building that D. Well, what has been preventing them when he was a bargain. It is nothing more than an assumption that they would use the savings on Prescott on more effective players.

Greg, when I look at the track record of this team with QB's, SINCE 89, I don't know if overpaying Prescott even exists. Any other team? Maybe, but not this one and McClay was part of that brain trust that had Lynch and Cook ahead of Prescott.
We really don’t know if Lynch or Cook might have prospered in this offense. How do you think Dak would have done in those offenses. Just saying..

I think many QB’s could flourish in this star studded supporting cast on offense.

And I agree defensively. We missed on early picks while Dak was a bargain. Critical misses in draft.

But the bigger point is will we be able to retain everyone . Like this year we had a couple casualties on defense in Cap because we had bigger priorities on offense.

If we are drafting a WR in 1st round should we have signed Cooper? Not sure if that was best considering but with our issues of propping up our QB was deemed necessary.

And why over paying this particular QB is in question.

Last edited:

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Dak didn't "lose $30 million." Any contract he signed would have been an extension that would start this year regardless. The only thing that happened is he did not yet get his signing bonus but he will once he is signed.

Could you explain that?

Surely if he signed in 2019, it could included an increased for 2019 as well as an extension for 4 years.

wE

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Just curious, for the “Don’t pay Dak” crowd what’s your solution for QB. This year and for the immediate short term. Play Dak on tag? Dalton? Trade? If so who?
play dalton, see what other vets are out there and/or get cut, trade/cut dak and move on.

next year we start looking for a young star all over again.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
They actually got two extra years but that's here nor there. The fact that its a new contract we are discussing with Dak and an extension with Goff, Wentz and Wilson are key IMO. There is just a lot more flexibility to work with in those situations. I wished Dak would have taken the extension and then renegotiated in a couple years. Would have been a lot easier IMO but he didn't do that.
It would have been an extension have they done the deal last offseason which they should have done. They let the contract expire. Wentz and goff had 5 year deals being drafted in the first round. Dak's was only 4 years.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It would have been an extension have they done the deal last offseason which they should have done. They let the contract expire. Wentz and goff had 5 year deals being drafted in the first round. Dak's was only 4 years.

They tried Hennessy. Fair is fair, it's been reported that the team was willing to offer anywhere from 30 to 33 last year, I believe. Would have been a lot easier if Dak and CAA would have taken that deal. Would have easily made Dak more money but it didn't happen.

The difference is the agents. Both Wentz and Goff are represented by the same agency, same agents. They had a plan to work the deal and they elected to re-up in the third year, which effectively gave each team a 6 year deal to work with. CAA wasn't willing to do that and cost Dak money IMO. If he rides the tag now, he will essentially be playing for less money then he would have if he had extended last year and, he would have gotten paid a year earlier, basically gotten the deal he wanted today because one year would be down and he would be looking at a 4 year window this season. Jerry probably would have renegotiated him earlier because that's how Jerry is. So essentially, more money in Dak's pocket, Jerry gets his 5 year deal and Dak and CAA are in the exact window they want to be in for a new deal. I mean, just stupid by CAA not to do that deal last year. I seriously question what their motivation could possibly have been. I don't get it.

cern

Reaction score
If you rescind the tag, you dont get anything
thanks. colorado cowboy also explained it to me. just a compensatory pick. hardly worth it. keep him tagged and get at least another year out of him.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
First off the Fins got lucky with Tua. Secondly you think you can tank with this roster and 25 years of no playoff success. Not going to happen.

And the Chiefs got lucky with Mahomes, Texans got lucky with Watson, Philly traded up half a round for Wentz to get their guy. It happens all the time, you just have to gather the ammunition to make the moves that are required. Obviously the Cowboys haven't done that but they FINALLY did one thing right by signing Dalton. Hopefully they finally realize the foolish hole they dug themselves into and not dig any deeper.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
The only way you are getting Lawrence is to have the first overall pick in the draft.
And whoever has it isn't giving it up.

Oh I'm guessing 3 first round picks could wrest it from someone. Unfortunately this ownership has 0 foresight which is why we're in this mess to begin with.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Remember a few years ago we heard "any RB can run behind this OL"? Even Jerry was quoted saying, Randell Joseph could get 1500. Interesting how many fans ( fans coz I have not heard this anywhere outside Cowboys circles) now say "any" QB can excel with this offense. Not one team was interested in trading for Dalton as their starting QB, yet according to many fans, he's good enough to replace Dak. But wait, Dak isn't better than Dalton, yet we should trade him for not 1 but 2 first-round picks at least. In other words, Dak's worth min 2 first-round picks but not better than Dalton. Makes no sense at all.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Who are these core players, and please post how you're going to keep them?

Do I really have to answer this for you?

Martin, Collins, Tyron Smith, Cooper, Lamb, Zeke, Dak (will be), Pollard, young Olineman, Jarwin

Lawrence, Poe and McCoy for 2 or 3 years, LVE, Jaylon, Diggs,

Am I missing anyone?

Gallup is only in his 3rd year and LVE we can keep for this year and two other years. Rookie DT is good for 4 years.

You can see clearly the window and the planning.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Remember a few years ago we heard "any RB can run behind this OL"? Even Jerry was quoted saying, Randell Joseph could get 1500. Interesting how many fans ( fans coz I have not heard this anywhere outside Cowboys circles) now say "any" QB can excel with this offense. Not one team was interested in trading for Dalton as their starting QB, yet according to many fans, he's good enough to replace Dak. But wait, Dak isn't better than Dalton, yet we should trade him for not 1 but 2 first-round picks at least. In other words, Dak's worth min 2 first-round picks but not better than Dalton. Makes no sense at all.

Well all that is kind of the point thou right? If the team tags him as Nonexclusive, that basically settles the question of market value for good and this deal is probably done. I doubt any team in the league is offering more then Dallas and they certainly aren't doing it for more and kicking in two 1st round picks. I have no idea why the Cowboys didn't do that. They say it's because they didn't want to disrespect Dak but if the deal is a question of value, I don't see how it's disrespectful to allow CAA to find the best deal out there and see what it looks like.

That just seems like the best, easiest way to go to me.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
No doubt he did! Thats probably why he didn't pursue more money. He had enough of playing for Miami.
Agreed plus I think vrabel is a good coach. At the end of the day Dak is still a better QB than Tannehill and deserves more $$ than him

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Agreed plus I think vrabel is a good coach. At the end of the day Dak is still a better QB than Tannehill and deserves more $$ than him

Hennessy, seriously, just you and me now, nobody else, do you think that 34/35 AAV for 5 years and 110 guaranteed is a good, fair offer to Dak? No BS now, just your own personal opinions. I just look at it and it's really hard for me to see the disrespect so many others seem to see in that offer. I just don't get it. That's good money man.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Hennessy, seriously, just you and me now, nobody else, do you think that 34/35 AAV for 5 years and 110 guaranteed is a good, fair offer to Dak? No BS now, just your own personal opinions. I just look at it and it's really hard for me to see the disrespect so many others seem to see in that offer. I just don't get it. That's good money man.
Yes I think that a 5 year 175 with 110 guaranteed is a good deal. But that leaves him almost 2 whole years of non guaranteed money. I can see both sides. If I'm jerry i just cut it to 4 years and make the deal already. What pissed me off is our front office dropped the ball last offseason. They tried to lowball him. Then allowed the eagles and rams to get their qbs signed which is now we are in this boat.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Well all that is kind of the point thou right? If the team tags him as Nonexclusive, that basically settles the question of market value for good and this deal is probably done. I doubt any team in the league is offering more then Dallas and they certainly aren't doing it for more and kicking in two 1st round picks. I have no idea why the Cowboys didn't do that. They say it's because they didn't want to disrespect Dak but if the deal is a question of value, I don't see how it's disrespectful to allow CAA to find the best deal out there and see what it looks like.

That just seems like the best, easiest way to go to me.

It's my understand the reason they used the nonexclusive tag is to avoid exposing him and their negotiation to other teams. If you think about it makes sense, especially if they've decided ( all indications they have ) he's their guy and future. I get what you're saying about questions concerning his value but from everything we've heard lately, his value is no longer an issue. It's the contract years holding things up now according to reports.

Just want to add it's rare an NFL team allows it starting QB to play the final year of their deal. It's even rarer to have to franchise a starting QB they see as their future. So the exclusive tag destination isn't surprising to me at all. Fans have to remember, McClay, Jerry, and Stephen are 100% and I emphasize 100%, sold on Dak as the Cowboys franchise QB, and think that's what we seeing their commitment to him. JMO.....

https://www.cbssports.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.