“First Take” is a microcosm of our Forum

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Ok. thank you for showing me the light. I am much positive person now. I know the Cowboys will never lose another game in our lifetime. We will probably not give up anymore touchdown too.
I see a 30 year run of consecutive Super Bowl championships in our future.
The truth hurts deal with it and grow or not. Up to you.

shabazz

Reaction score
Stopped reading at "First take featuring Stephen A."

It’s a cute phrase and we know he performs like a minstrel show, but there was a greater point to be made.

The three opinions mirrored many of our own and it was just use for illustrative purposes…..Stephen A Smith not withstanding

shabazz

Reaction score
Lol. Call me crazy, but I am actually enjoying this conversation with you.

Probably in a way that someone would enjoy a conversation with Charles Manson or the kid who had a breakdown on YouTube that was screaming saying “ Leave Brittany alone”

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Dan nailed it. Micah has even confirmed it. Flash doesn't win Championships, consistency does.

This is the same team that blew a two TD lead to a bad team a week ago. They have proven nothing.
And as soon as we win our owner is talking SB. He needs to shut up.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
First Take featuring Stephen A, Michael Irvin and Dan Orlovsky is truly representative of our Fan Zone because it has 3 very differing opinions of the hosts as does our forum. Hers the 3 takes

1. Michael Irvin - “We played the best game of the season and we are the best team in the NFL”

2. Stephen A Smith - “The Cowboys beat a overhyped fraudulent team in the Vikings and they are an accident waiting to happen and will collapse in the playoffs”

3. Dan Orlovsky - “The Cowboys played a complete dominating game but I will have to see consistency in doing so before putting them up with the Eagles, Bills and Chiefs”

Where does your opinion fit in among these 3 cats?….

Mine is with Orlovsky as I’m a “Missouri Show Me” type guy….however Stephen A has been correct for a long time now, but yesterdays game made me feel like a Michael Irvin after the game.
You forgot the 4th guy

4. Cowboyroy sitting there shaking his head and smiling-“I told you guys 3 years ago that pollard was better than zeke.”

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Love Mike and Clark when they do his countdown, I am in stitches laughing and SAS in the background looking at them.

ESisback

Reaction score
It’s a cute phrase and we know he performs like a minstrel show, but there was a greater point to be made.

The three opinions mirrored many of our own and it was just use for illustrative purposes…..Stephen A Smith not withstanding

He looks like the elf from Bad Santa doing a Jesse Jackson imitation. Kinda like a spitting, sputtering, fire-n-brimstone minister screaming condemnations, posing as a journalist.

jgboys1

Reaction score
Probably in a way that someone would enjoy a conversation with Charles Manson or the kid who had a breakdown on YouTube that was screaming saying “ Leave Brittany alone”
Lol. Exactly! Charles Manson would be easier to reason with and that is in the condition Charles Manson is in today.

shabazz

Reaction score
And that right there is the ******* problem

True, however one of the 3 guys is actually lucid, non emotional and made some valid points….hopefully that represents the majority of the board here

However, having a vast mix of opinions and some good natured deranged people makes this an excellent forum to be a part of:D

Primetime42

Reaction score
True, however one of the 3 guys is actually lucid, non emotional and made some valid points….hopefully that represents the majority of the board here

However, having a vast mix of opinions and some good natured deranged people makes this an excellent forum to be a part of:D
Nah, Orlovsky is a hot take artist too.

And it's a shame because he's actually a pretty smart guy. But he's all in on the nonsense they promote up in Bristol.

I don't post often these days so can't speak to your second point.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First Take featuring Stephen A, Michael Irvin and Dan Orlovsky is truly representative of our Fan Zone because it has 3 very differing opinions of the hosts as does our forum. Hers the 3 takes

1. Michael Irvin - “We played the best game of the season and we are the best team in the NFL”

2. Stephen A Smith - “The Cowboys beat a overhyped fraudulent team in the Vikings and they are an accident waiting to happen and will collapse in the playoffs”

3. Dan Orlovsky - “The Cowboys played a complete dominating game but I will have to see consistency in doing so before putting them up with the Eagles, Bills and Chiefs”

Mine is with Orlovsky as I’m a “Missouri Show Me” type guy….however Stephen A has been correct for a long time now, but yesterdays game made me feel like a Michael Irvin after the game.
That’s a pretty accurate description.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Put me in Dan's Camp.
The Boys have been very up and down this year.
We need to be consistent game to game, especially Dak as he plays the most important position on the field.

It is usual for the Cowboy to be very up and down, aka inconsistant. What's funny is that people tend to forget all the other years where we had some impressive wins against quality opponents and then some head scratching losses against scrubs. It says that this team has had talent often to win games, but lacks the leadership to win consistently. We win a game here or there and we got some people get all excite, pointing, saying "see see I told you!" thinking they are a PHD of football, and then it is the same final result at the end of the season as it has been here for decades. Me I think you need measuring stick games, against quality opponents, and then see if you can go hot into the playoffs, to get the proper feel if this team can be a playoff contender or not.

kramskoi

Reaction score

Minnesota is in negative territory with net points. They've been "really" fortunate in the tight games they've won. In Total DVOA they are only 23rd (Dallas is 2nd), which is very surprising for a then 8-1 team. Their o-line is not as good as they think, as one injury turned into a sieve...or siege if you prefer. Emotionally there was probably a letdown from the Bills game. Couple that with a white-hot start from the "motivated" Cowboys and they simply couldn't stay in the game long enough for their running game to matter. And this is the thing about Dallas at present. Your best chance is to run at them early and often, for as long as they will let you do it. Otherwise, you have to run the gauntlet of arguably the fiercest pass rush in the league. Most teams won't want to put their quarterback in the peril that Dallas will bring. But if you can't run against them...AND you fall behind...you...are...dead...meat.

Dalvin Cook still averaged 6.6 yds/carry, so I'm not inclined to think that the Cowboys have totally fixed their run defense. They put the Vikings in the rear-view mirror so quickly that they were made one-dimensional. Still...you can only play the game that's in front of you. However, the Titans will show whether or not Quinn can instill some gap discipline into these guys. They are so used to getting after the quarterback that the run defense fundamentals have definitely suffered. This WILL be problematic for them in the playoffs...if they don't get it fixed.

At the end of the day, it's clear that Dallas has the talent. Do they have the will? Do they know what it takes? Can they finally handle success? Can they finally handle being the favorite? Can they finally handle the copious amounts of media attention? Can they get over themselves and how good they "think" they are? Can they sustain dissatisfaction? Can they stay hungry?

The headspace. That will be the biggest problem for this team going forward and it's the reason why they've failed in other seasons. You can "have" what it takes but until you learn WHAT it takes then you're probably going to fall short when the rubber meets the road.

Last edited:

shabazz

Reaction score
Minnesota is in negative territory with net points. They've been "really" fortunate in the tight games they've won. In Total DVOA they are only 23rd (Dallas is 2nd), which is very surprising for a then 8-1 team. Their o-line is not as good as they think, as one injury turned into a sieve...or siege if you prefer. Emotionally there was probably a letdown from the Bills game. Couple that with a white-hot start from the "motivated" Cowboys and they simply couldn't stay in the game long enough for their running game to matter. And this is the thing about Dallas at present. Your best chance is to run at them early and often, for as long as they will let you do it. Otherwise, you have to run the gauntlet of arguably the fiercest pass rush in the league. Most teams won't want to put their quarterback in the peril that Dallas will bring. But if you can't run against them...AND you fall behind...you...are...dead...meat.

Dalvin Cook still averaged 6.6 yds/carry, so I'm not inclined to think that the Cowboys have totally fixed their run defense. They put the Vikings in the rear-view mirror so quickly that they were made one-dimensional. Still...you can only play the game that's in front of you. However, the Titans will show whether or not Quinn can instill some gap discipline into these guys. They are so used to getting after the quarterback that the run defense fundamentals have definitely suffered. This WILL be problematic for them in the playoffs...if they don't get it fixed.

All excellent points. I 've still got to see them perform well against a team like the Niners that are so strong in the trenches and I still have to be shown that they can handle a running QB threat like jaylen hurts and others like him

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score

Bills, Eagles and Chiefs have shown their own warts and consistency hasn't defined either of these 3 teams in the last few weeks especially.

Orlovsky is aHeat. Cowboys hater too, just doesn't have the stones to back up his heat.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I'm with Dan the Man.
We do this to ourselves every year.
We lay a dud and the sky is falling.
We have a dominant game and it's Super Bowl or bust.
I'm now a week by week guy.
Great win. Complete win. Dominant win.
Now, let's see we do against the NY Giants.

It wasn't just dominant it was all time franchise dominant.

There is a difference.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I know they are 7-3. I am talking going forward and doing something in the playoffs. I think a lot of you guys are happy with regular season victories and to hell with the playoffs.

Worry about playoffs when we get there.

Have to get there first. That means W's in regular season.