Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
trickblue said:
10. uhhh...
5. errrr..
1. hmmm...

ummm... sorry... I got nothin'... :D

Are we talking bands or bands and/or solo acts?

10 - Ghetto Boys
9 - Wu Tang Clan
8 - Rakim
7 - A Tribe Called Quest
6 - Jay Z
5 - Christopher Wallace AKA Biggie Smalls
4 - Nas
3 - 2Pac
2 - NWA
1 - Run DMC

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I change opinion on these often but I listen to a ton of older stuff as well as newer stuff. Hot 97 interviews are easy to find with p2p and lots of stuff there to digest for those interested. Mixtapes have the best offerings IMHO as radio is all purchased play it seems.

10. Eminem. Oversaturation aside, he is extremely skilled and has a passion for tearing people up in verse.
Check: Til I Collapse, 5 star generals, Stan, Dead Wrong
9. Redman. Long term success based on evolving flow and style. Too much weed and sex rap like many but well delivered.
Check: Time for sum aksion, Blackout
8. Scarface. Original gangster for sure. Incredible flow. Slow and slurred but artistic just the same.
Check: Mind of a Lunatic, Scarface, Jesse James, I seen a man die
7. Ice Cube. Wrote most of NWA's first album as well as Easy E's first hits. Awesome song writer with great rap voice.
Check: It was a good day, Once upon a time in the projects, Who's the Mack, Jackin for Beats
6. Nas. Intelligence almost seems to hinder him as many of his songs require a few listens to full appreciate. Jay had some points tho in their rap feud as Nas was absent for long periods.
Check: One Mic, Illmatic, Get Urself a Gun, Memory Lane, Ether
5. Dr. Dre. OK lyrically he's rather wack and his writing is all ghosted but he has the best beats over the course of a career of anyone and manages to flow enough.
Check: Its nuthin but a G Thang, Let me Ride, F the Police, Natural Born Killaz
4. Eric B. and Rakim. Perhaps greatest lyricist of all time and owner of my favorite song of all time with I aint no joke. Limited range is all that prevents him form beign the best ever.
Check: No Joke, Mahogany, Follow the Leader, The R.
3. Tupac. Gritty and smart with party jams and drive by anthems. Some social consciousness as well but often demonstrated in small bursts.
Check: Benda's got a baby, I get around, 2 of Amerikkka's most wanted, Ambitionz as a ridah, Outlaw
2. Jay-Z. Long reigning king with smooth flow and business acumen. His share of corny radio music but also a catalogue of great hits.
Check: Reasonable Doubt, 22 2's, Friend or Foe, Dead Presidents, 99 problems, This city is mine, Takeover
1. Notorious B.I.G. Suicidal tendencies and woman drama that compare with only Kurt Cobain another of the most amazing song writers in history. Deep mesmerizing voice boomed dark lyrics that were alittle too real.
Check: Juicy, Big Poppa, Warning, Hypnotize, Mo Money Mo Problems.

I was born in 1972 which happens to put me int he same age group as Biggie and Pac and so many others on this list. I was born on the same date tho different year than 'Face. I consider the golden era of rap to be begun with Rakim and then passed to the West Coast and Eazy E/Dre/NWA/Cube. Biggie and Pac brought it back representing the seperate coasts and Scarface chimed in with southern flavor. With Pac and Biggie both gone Eminem and Jay Z picked up those empty mics and rocked on.

My first trip to NYC I was in 7th grade and had a big jambox with 3 tapes: RunDMC, Whodini and LL Cool J. I was shocked that in NYC they weren't playing much rap but instead jammed house music incessantly. Folks like Run DMC played decent clubs but nowadays Eminem sells out Madison Square Garden for as many shows as they want to book.

There are a lot of close calls and guys like LL didn't make the list though certainly could have. He has some legendary hits. Ultimately I didn't include him because I felt he never really dominated an era for me the way others have. Run DMC was another intentional omission. I felt I saw many more talented lyricists then any of that crew when I visited NYC in 1987 but they had Russell Simmons connection with Rick Rubin to drive them.

Dallas22

Reaction score
MY TOP 10
1) Biggie (The Notorious B.I.G.) [To me, BY FAR the Greatest Rapper Of ALL Time - Best Flow & Storyteller]
2) 2Pac [Best Poet & Emotions]
3) Big Punisher [Best Lyricist]
4) Outkast [Thought Provoking Rap]
5) Wu-Tang Clan [Best Metaphors & Most Talented Group With So Many Members]
6) Rakim [One of the Greatest Lyricists Ever]
7) NWA / Ice Cube / Eazy-E [Biggest Impact Group]
8) Eminem [Great Lyricist]
9) Jay-Z [A Lot of Good-Great CDs & Longetivy]
10) Snoop Dogg [Own Style]

HONERABLE MENTIONS
Run DMC [Put Rap on the Mainstream Map], Cypress Hill [Hynotic Weed Induced Rap], Bone Thugs-N-Harmony [Melodic and Singing HipHop with A Lot of Weed Influence], Redman [Best New Jersey Rapper & Very Raw], Canibus [Great Lyricist but Not Enough CDs]

GO COWBOYS!!!

Dallas22

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Champsheart said:
Anybody remember Nemesis?

Straight out of Dallas.

I loved their bass lines.
I remember Nemesis... Grew up in FW.

Wasn't it the song "Knowledge me" or something like that. My boy heard it the other day and we were reminiscing about it.

Very hard bass lines. That's when alot of guys drove those old grand prix and monte carlos with had gold daytons (sp?) Bass so hard, the windows shook.

Then they upped it to the trucks w/campers and stuff. Prelude to SUVs.

sidebar: TB, thread came back, cuz I linked to it in another thread.

Champsheart

Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:

Wasn't it the song "Knowledge me" or something like that. My boy heard it the other day and we were reminiscing about it.

Very hard bass lines. That's when alot of guys drove those old grand prix and monte carlos with had gold daytons (sp?) Bass so hard, the windows shook.

I dont remember that one. I used to have, probably still do somewhere, Temple of Boom.

Some good cuts on there -
The Big, The Bad, The Bass
Temple of Boom
Cant Figure it out
Deep up in it

Ron C later went solo.

There are some listen samples on this link

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000000CHN/qid=1134587709/sr=1-8/ref=sr_1_8/002-9237367-3117630?v=glance&s=music#product-details

dougonthebench

Cowboys Forever
Reaction score
for those of you who do not like hip-hop,thats ok.All I can say is ; hip-hop,r & b,reggaeton,and a little dance music(that would be techno) pays my bills.allthough alot of the lyrics today really dont make alot of sense,if you really think about it,alot of lyrics from all genres dont make much sense.(ex-def leppard.)if you think about it,people from the 50's thought and prclaimed that rock n roll would never last.what did they know.here's to everyones taste in music,whether we like it or not!

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:

"Nemesis rocks the house, drop the bass, Nemesis rocks the house, drop-drop-drop the bass..."

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Honestly, even though I was never that big a fan, Tupac was probably the best rapper/hip hop artist ever.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
The brain does not work as well when you get older....trust me I know. :( :D

One other one of the early songs that had some rap in it before rap ever became main stream.

I doubt many people even remember this song or the group but there was a song called Pop Music by a group called M that had some rap in it....man alive that was back in the days when K-Tel was popular on records and 8-track tapes lol.

...this thread is really been a trip back into time for me. It could be a real nostalgia trip. I remember the tune "Pop Music", the Donna Summer 8-track called Bad Girls and the guys like the Sugar Hill Gang and Curtis Blow.

I grew up from 1968 til 1982 in a restaurant my parents owned with a jukebox. All my days of working in that business with the local teenagers plugging the machine with dimes and quarters it wasn't hard to get to know the latest in music.

I consider myself a "wunderkind" at remembering obscure pop tunes and one hit wonders. You can't imagine how many times a song like "My Sharona" by the Knack could be played in one day. Some songs became nauseating to me quickly.

Dallas22

Reaction score
Biggie Smalls is the ILLEST!!!

Notorious B.I.G. = G.O.A.T. [Greatest Of All Time]

Dallas22

Champsheart

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Honestly, even though I was never that big a fan, Tupac was probably the best rapper/hip hop artist ever.

No place for him even in my Top 10.

Never liked him, never will.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
Champsheart said:
No place for him even in my Top 10.

Never liked him, never will.
exactly.

You can tell who isn't a real hip-hop fan when they site the likes of 2Pac, LL Cool J, and Snoop Dogg as the best hip hop ever.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Champsheart said:
Anybody remember Nemesis?

Straight out of Dallas.

I loved their bass lines.
Yea I keep Last night around just for car bass.

Its the jemi hendrix national anthem done in raw bass instead of jimi's magical hands(mouth et al).

I saw them a few times in various local clubs.

Their producer was Ron C of Swisha House fame.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Qwickdraw said:
exactly.

You can tell who isn't a real hip-hop fan when they site the likes of 2Pac, LL Cool J, and Snoop Dogg as the best hip hop ever.

Matter of opinion I think.

I personally do not like most of anything out today.

But back in the day I had those I liked and those I did not.

Whether people liked LL Cool J he is one of the very few who have stood the test of time in a genre where many only last a few years.

2pac is one that I think is worth being mentioned for what he did in the time he was alive.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
exactly.

Yeah because the people that like them listened to it when it was called what it was RAP not hip hop crap.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
exactly.

Even if you are not a fan of the genre, you have to acknowledge the man was a lyrical genius

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Even if you are not a fan of the genre, you have to acknowledge the man was a lyrical genius
You must be kidding.

I don't mind 2 Pac that much and I'm not knocking him but a "lyrical genius"?
No.

Lyrical genius would be Redman, Gza, Mad Skillz, Plug One, Kwali... IMO, just to name a few.
There aren't many West Coast lyricists.
2Pac, Snoop Dogg, Ice Cube, Dr. Dre, etc. All West Coast. All have some good music. But hardly "lyricists".