Video: 105.3: The Cowboys' Refusal To Go All-In Leads To An Epic Broaddus Rant

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was a nice chat.

Around 11:30 one guy starts to directly blame everything that is happening on JJ, but Broaddus says he handed the day-to-day ops over to SJ some time ago.

Around the 14:00+ minute mark BB maybe raises his voice a little.

But BB definitely lays the blame for the dysfunction of the Cowboys at the feet of SJ.

To me, since JJ still carries all the titles, including ownership, it’s his fault.
Well, it’s Jerry’s fault either way bc he’s the one who handed over the daily operations to SJ.

nobody

Reaction score
Broadus looked livid the entire clip.

And this dirtbag organization pays the cheerladers $20,000 a year? Who can forget the story where one was forced to fly with Jerry and some businessmen in her cheerleader outfit.

I'm nearing the end of this ****. I've had enough.
Look, I hear you and I'm all for paying them and treating them respectfully and coming down hard on players and whoever shouting at them or touching them inappropriately, but it's KNOWN how they're treated by organizations and how they're paid. If a woman gets hired at a coroner's office, She's going to see bodies. If a women gets hired to work as a waitress, she knows she'll deal with garbage customers sometimes. If a girl gets hired to work at a cabaret....well.. you know the rest (no, I'm not comparing cheerleaders to strippers. It's a comparison highlighting that people know what they're getting into unless they have the IQ of a turnip). Should there be changes, sure. But it's not like they went in there tricked.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Look, I hear you and I'm all for paying them and treating them respectfully and coming down hard on players and whoever shouting at them or touching them inappropriately, but it's KNOWN how they're treated by organizations and how they're paid. If a woman gets hired at a coroner's office, She's going to see bodies. If a women gets hired to work as a waitress, she knows she'll deal with garbage customers sometimes. If a girl gets hired to work at a cabaret....well.. you know the rest (no, I'm not comparing cheerleaders to strippers. It's a comparison highlighting that people know what they're getting into unless they have the IQ of a turnip). Should there be changes, sure. But it's not like they went in there tricked.
Agree. The whole cheerleader thing is absurd. They get paid next to nothing and most have careers outside cheerleading. So the girls who got the plane gig surely got paid a fat bonus and/or volunteered. Rubbing shoulders with wealthy men is part of the draw bc we know they aren’t doing it for the money. They are doing it for the opportunities that may come from who they get to meet and the fame that goes along with it.

cowboys5xsbs

Reaction score
I've been saying for a long time it's Stephen and not Jerry and things aren't going to change when Jerry goes

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When you are the owner of a sports team, the reason you hire someone else to be the GM is to ensure you have someone who doesn’t/can’t fall in love their own players because their job depends on it.

The problem with JJ and SJ is they fall in love with their own players, believe in best case scenarios (because their jobs and livelihood do not depend on it) and they do not possess the football talent to do it right.

Jerry Jones is an absolutely great businessman. One of the best. But his skill of optimism kills him as a GM. Because he believes in his football choices and decisions too much. It works great in business situations, not in roster building.

Because it is a killer for the cold hard decision making skills required of a GM who must win playoff games. Jerry is a GM like a fan would be. He gets sentimental about players and coaches. He keeps players too long. He’s slow to recognize problems until they are obvious to everyone. He’s like a dad who genuinely believes his high school athlete kid is a star, and they’re not. Jerry is incapable of being a clear eyed cold and successful GM. He’s like a fantasy football player.

Jerry cries every training camp talking about how much he loves his team, his coaches and his players. Sadly I believe him. And it’s exactly why the winning owners of the last 28 super bowls all recognize they need to hire someone else to build the roster.
In recent years, when have they kept a player too long stricty because Jerry "loved" that player?

Zeke: They moved on as soon as the contract made it feasible and Zeke was a Jerry favorite.

Dak: No team that had zero other options would have let Dak leave before his original big contract.

Tyron: He was really really good this season and playing on a discount relative to his previous contract.

Randy Gregory: A Jerry favorite that they didn't re-sign. Stephen had no actual plan to re-sign him but wanted it to look like Gregory/Agent made the decision.

Jaylon: Another "Jerry Move" player (i.e. Rolling the dice in the draft). They moved on from him.

Dez: Jerry really loved Dez but they cut him.

Witten: OK, you've got me here. He was toast when they brought him back but it was a cheap contract and Stephen told him he had to be a mentor to the young TEs..

Romo: Twenty years ago, Jerry would have given him, Dez, Witten and Ware lifetime contracts.
- Stephen started taking over after the 2013 draft and he moved McClay up to the top talent evaluation spot.
- The 2013 ordeal where the head of scouting didn't consult Marinelli about the DT S. Floyd was the final straw for Ciskowski.
- Jerry blew a gasket on that which paved the way for Stephen to become the overseer of the scouting dept. and SJ moved McClay to the top job.

In the past decade, keeping players too long has not been a significant issue.

Coaches...Definitely a problem with Garrett/Marinelli.
- Fortunately, Stephen has positioned himself between Jerry and everyone else since Garrett departed.
- McCarthy reports to Stephen. Garrett reported to Jerry.
- All big contracts are negotatied by Stephen, not Jerry.
- DLaw's agent didn't talk to Jerry duing that big negotation a few years ago (per the agent on the radio).
- Stephen might have made some mistakes, but not because he has an attachmet to anybody.
- Stephen is only attached to $$$.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In recent years, when have they kept a player too long stricty because Jerry "loved" that player?

Zeke: They moved on as soon as the contract made it feasible and Zeke was a Jerry favorite.

Dak: No team that had zero other options would have let Dak leave before his original big contract.

Tyron: He was really really good this season and playing on a discount relative to his previous contract.

Randy Gregory: A Jerry favorite that they didn't re-sign. Stephen had no actual plan to re-sign him but wanted it to look like Gregory/Agent made the decision.

Jaylon: Another "Jerry Move" player (i.e. Rolling the dice in the draft). They moved on from him.

Dez: Jerry really loved Dez but they cut him.

Witten: OK, you've got me here. He was toast when they brought him back but it was a cheap contract and Stephen told him he had to be a mentor to the young TEs..

Romo: Twenty years ago, Jerry would have given him, Dez, Witten and Ware lifetime contracts.
- Stephen started taking over after the 2013 draft and he moved McClay up to the top talent evaluation spot.
- The 2013 ordeal where the head of scouting didn't consult Marinelli about the DT S. Floyd was the final straw for Ciskowski.
- Jerry blew a gasket on that which paved the way for Stephen to become the overseer of the scouting dept. and SJ moved McClay to the top job.

In the past decade, keeping players too long has not been a significant issue.

Coaches...Definitely a problem with Garrett/Marinelli.
- Fortunately, Stephen has positioned himself between Jerry and everyone else since Garrett departed.
- McCarthy reports to Stephen. Garrett reported to Jerry.
- All big contracts are negotatied by Stephen, not Jerry.
- DLaw's agent didn't talk to Jerry duing that big negotation a few years ago (per the agent on the radio).
- Stephen might have made some mistakes, but not because he has an attachmet to anybody.
- Stephen is only attached to $$$.
X you make some really good points here. But I am curious what real evidence you see that McCarthy reports to SJ and not Jerry? Not saying you’re wrong, but I’ve never read or heard anything about that. What source do you have for that?

Regarding moving on from players, it’s true the Cowboys have moved on from the players you listed. But in my opinion it was after everyone could see that it was time to do so. I believe it’s better to depart from a guy a little early than waiting until even fans know it’s time.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
This team building strategy, may be the worst strategy in pro sports...lol.

That says it right there.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Heard this live on the way home yesterday and loved it

Wouldn't say it was an epic rant-- I'd say it was measured frustration that we all feel

If he's right, which he probably is, and Stephen is as much of a problem as Jerry was, then things are bleak.

XXLMike

Reaction score
He cleared this rant with JJ HQ to make sure his buffet pass wouldn’t be revoked ok game day.

J_Allen

Reaction score
You're right, they knew what they were signing up for.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
said it since 2008. Stephen is 10000x worse than Jerry. nepotism almost always fails. Stephen would not get a job in football without daddy owning the team. no one will ever challenge him ND winning is less important than money.

it's over

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
When you are the owner of a sports team, the reason you hire someone else to be the GM is to ensure you have someone who doesn’t/can’t fall in love their own players because their job depends on it.

The problem with JJ and SJ is they fall in love with their own players, believe in best case scenarios (because their jobs and livelihood do not depend on it) and they do not possess the football talent to do it right.

Jerry Jones is an absolutely great businessman. One of the best. But his skill of optimism kills him as a GM. Because he believes in his football choices and decisions too much. It works great in business situations, not in roster building.

Because it is a killer for the cold hard decision making skills required of a GM who must win playoff games. Jerry is a GM like a fan would be. He gets sentimental about players and coaches. He keeps players too long. He’s slow to recognize problems until they are obvious to everyone. He’s like a dad who genuinely believes his high school athlete kid is a star, and they’re not. Jerry is incapable of being a clear eyed cold and successful GM. He’s like a fantasy football player.

Jerry cries every training camp talking about how much he loves his team, his coaches and his players. Sadly I believe him. And it’s exactly why the winning owners of the last 28 super bowls all recognize they need to hire someone else to build the roster.
Great post Bob.

The problem is that nobody has to fear for their job. The GM in Philly or San Fran gets fired if the team loses in the first round every year. That is not the case in Dallas.

Its the problem with nepotism, like when a dad hires his son to work in the family business. The dad aint gonna fire his son no matter how chitty of a job he does, and if you are the son and you know that your job and your paycheck will keep coming no matter how little effort you put into the job, why roll up the sleeves and do the dirty work? You dont, you practically do nothing but the bare minimum and collect your check each month.

That is why most companies that are not a mom and pop shop have rules against nepotism................to avoid such a problem as I just described.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Great post Bob.

The problem is that nobody has to fear for their job. The GM in Philly or San Fran gets fired if the team loses in the first round every year. That is not the case in Dallas.

Its the problem with nepotism, like when a dad hires his son to work in the family business. The dad aint gonna fire his son no matter how chitty of a job he does, and if you are the son and you know that your job and your paycheck will keep coming no matter how little effort you put into the job, why roll up the sleeves and do the dirty work? You dont, you practically do nothing but the bare minimum and collect your check each month.

That is why most companies that are not a mom and pop shop have rules against nepotism................to avoid such a problem as I just described.
There are 31 other NFL teams. Pull for one of them if you don’t like Jerry’s Dallas Cowboys. Or give up on the NFL altogether. No one is forced to be a NFL fans or a Cowboys fan.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
lmao, you guys. You're supposed to blame Jerry and not worry about how crappy the team or players are.
they get blown out, don't blame anybody but Jerry. If a guy fumbles or throws an interception, it's Jerry's fault.
Dang you new fans are awful. LMAO, some of the guys should give Jerry an ultimatum. LMAO, that will never happen. They are there picking up a check and going home after the regular season is over.
Look at you guys, it's cute how you try to fix the team with your time and never realize this crap is going to be the same year after year. I get more joy in watching you guys pretend you're making a difference.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Stephen is a cheap skate. He’s ruthless to a point but wants to do it his way. Been saying this for years but it’s his team.
This x 100.......but for some odd reason, he gets a pass. The board is filled with threads blaming Dak, Parsons, MM and Jerry but not Stephen and he is main responsible IMO.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

I agree here but why are we giving Stephen a pass.......it's not always Jerry. Just me, but I honestly believe Stephen Jones is the real decision-maker. Sure Jerry is the GM but Stephen decides who we can financially afford and who we can not. Just tired of everyone laying the blame on 2/3 players and Jerry but never a word about Stephen and his cheap a_____.