Video: 105.3: The Cowboys' Refusal To Go All-In Leads To An Epic Broaddus Rant

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I agree here but why are we giving Stephen a pass.......it's not always Jerry. Just me, but I honestly believe Stephen Jones is the real decision-maker. Sure Jerry is the GM but Stephen decides who we can financially afford and who we can not. Just tired of everyone laying the blame on 2/3 players and Jerry but never a word about Stephen and his cheap a_____.
OK, but Broaddus' gripe is about 'allin' giving you the benefit of hindsight what should the Jones' have done this season.....trade a 1st Rd pick for Henry?

fivetwos

Reaction score
I agree here but why are we giving Stephen a pass.......it's not always Jerry. Just me, but I honestly believe Stephen Jones is the real decision-maker. Sure Jerry is the GM but Stephen decides who we can financially afford and who we can not. Just tired of everyone laying the blame on 2/3 players and Jerry but never a word about Stephen and his cheap a_____.
Agree…and it’s not as if he doesn’t care about winning, or doesn’t try…he just isn’t any good at it.

It’s not easy to win championships in a very competitive league where the best of the best often fail.

His problem is he doesn’t understand how windows to win work. He thinks they never have to plan for a down cycle if they are careful in FA, which only ends up meaning they will be left short in the end.

The gaping holes that a typical fan could see in June are what a playoff staff takes advantage of against them in January. How many times is that supposed to happen?

SquidwardTentacles

Reaction score
When you are the owner of a sports team, the reason you hire someone else to be the GM is to ensure you have someone who doesn’t/can’t fall in love their own players because their job depends on it.

The problem with JJ and SJ is they fall in love with their own players, believe in best case scenarios (because their jobs and livelihood do not depend on it) and they do not possess the football talent to do it right.

Jerry Jones is an absolutely great businessman. One of the best. But his skill of optimism kills him as a GM. Because he believes in his football choices and decisions too much. It works great in business situations, not in roster building.

Because it is a killer for the cold hard decision making skills required of a GM who must win playoff games. Jerry is a GM like a fan would be. He gets sentimental about players and coaches. He keeps players too long. He’s slow to recognize problems until they are obvious to everyone. He’s like a dad who genuinely believes his high school athlete kid is a star, and they’re not. Jerry is incapable of being a clear eyed cold and successful GM. He’s like a fantasy football player.

Jerry cries every training camp talking about how much he loves his team, his coaches and his players. Sadly I believe him. And it’s exactly why the winning owners of the last 28 super bowls all recognize they need to hire someone else to build the roster.
Jerry is good at business but terrible at football, and he doesn't understand his own limitations or what gave him initial success at football. Worse yet, he has now put his placeholder, who is even worse at football in charge.
If he made his money on winning football championships, he'd be broke.

At one time he let someone who knew football take care of things, likely because he was a newb to the NFL and didn't have much choice.
But his ego quickly convinced him that he was the one responsible for the success, despite never having recreated it in nearly 30 years. But his pride won't let him change. He will die trying to convince the world he knows football. He wants this more than anything.

He loves marque players. He loves the hype. He quickly anoints players with modest initial success as Hall of Famers. He capitalizes on their marketing potential.
But he's has no idea how to create a team that functions together at a high level, when needed most..
He's the NY rangers of football. who get bounced out of the playoffs despite President's trophies.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Agree…and it’s not as if he doesn’t care about winning, or doesn’t try…he just isn’t any good at it.

It’s not easy to win championships in a very competitive league where the best of the best often fail.

His problem is he doesn’t understand how windows to win work. He thinks they never have to plan for a down cycle if they are careful in FA, which only ends up meaning they will be left short in the end.

The gaping holes that a typical fan could see in June are what a playoff staff takes advantage of against them in January. How many times is that supposed to happen?
Exactly.......it's like he has no clue of progressive thinking. He can't or refuses to plan a step or two ahead of issues/problems staring right in the face. Good example is when we got rid of Dez and he tried to replace him a 3rd stringer and bottom-feeder free agent. Just as we all expected, it blew up in his face, forcing him to overpay for Amari Cooper during the mid-season. His refusal to sign quality mid-level free agents is also an example. Todd France and Dak bending him over the current contract.......not so much the value but the structure is going to cost a real pickle to fix. These are just a few of his failures, yet you rarely see a thread calling him out.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The roster is left short every year.

The coaches Jerry can push around aren’t capable of scheming around it.

Period.
I'm not sure any coach can scheme around a roster that adds none of the best FAs. I mean, imagine the difference on defense if the Cowboys were willing to pay for a player like Javon Hargrave to team with Hankins. On top of that, what if we'd thrown enough at Bobby Wagner to lure him here instead of re-signing LVE for fairly cheap. That's not a scheme change, it's a personnel change that makes a huge difference.

Signing Hargrave also might have meant not spending our first-round pick on Mazi. Now, I don't know how he's going to turn out long term, but last year, he was the first domino in a poor draft class. Maybe we take LaPorta instead or Matthew Bergeron (who started 17 games for Atlanta at guard) since those were the two main players we seemed to be linked to besides Mazi.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I'm not sure any coach can scheme around a roster that adds none of the best FAs. I mean, imagine the difference on defense if the Cowboys were willing to pay for a player like Javon Hargrave to team with Hankins. On top of that, what if we'd thrown enough at Bobby Wagner to lure him here instead of re-signing LVE for fairly cheap. That's not a scheme change, it's a personnel change that makes a huge difference.

Signing Hargrave also might have meant not spending our first-round pick on Mazi. Now, I don't know how he's going to turn out long term, but last year, he was the first domino in a poor draft class. Maybe we take LaPorta instead or Matthew Bergeron (who started 17 games for Atlanta at guard) since those were the two main players we seemed to be linked to besides Mazi.
Agreed. This team loses playoff games in March with their inactivity…which they view as outsmarting the rest of the league.

They continue to overrate their own mid rounds picks as players that can immediately contribute and be solid starters. Of course it’s ideal if you can pull it off but what team in history has?

They think they can. They think a lot of themselves.

It’s not about giving up control as much as it is them truly believing there’s no one that could possibly do the job better, or that they could ever be wrong. Results be damned. Textbook narcissists.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I don't know how much Stephen cares about winning, but I do believe Jerry does. His ego just gets in the way, convincing him that his and his son's way of doing it is the best way to do it. The best chance we have had since Jimmy left was when Parcells was here because he had enough clout to get some things done despite them, bringing in some of his FOBs to round out the roster that he got the team to focus on building through the draft. Sure, Jerry still had his say, such as bringing in TO, but it complemented what Bill was doing. Too bad, he burned out before seeing the success I think he was leading us toward.

If someone like Bill was here, I think he would have knocked some sense into the Joneses when they started thinking they needed to not pay for high-cost FAs because it didn't pay off.

Creeper

Reaction score
Broaddus is saying McCarthy's wife is very successful, insinuating she has a lot of money. Isn't she a school teacher? How wealthy can she be?

Also, Broaddus is not saying anything we haven't all said for the last 15 years or so. You cannot build a team by drafting alone. Lately, to compensate for the lack of free agent signings Jerry has resorted to trades. But even his trade a second and 3rd tier players. Commitment to me is the willingness to take risks on top tier talents. If they fail, they fail, but they tried. And I am not talking about bringing in 5 or 6 expensive free agents. I am talking one or two just to fill in their biggest gaps. DT is an area where they need help and immediate help can only come from free agency or trades. Drafting DTs means waiting a couple of years or more before they reach their potential.

If Jerry wants to win he needs to realize other teams are doing it and he is at a disadvantage if he doesn't.