13 Dallas Cowboys who should be considered for the Pro Football Hall of Fame

Sheepherder

Reaction score
Howley was also named the MVP of Super Bowl V and is the only player on a losing team to receive the award.

The 1971 season saw Howley earn his final Pro Bowl honor. Dallas reached the Super Bowl again and won the first championship in franchise history. Howley played well enough to win the MVP Award again, recovering a fumble and returning an interception 41 yards, but it was given to quarterback Roger Staubach instead.
They actually wanted to give the MVP award to Duane Thomas that year. However, because of Duane's not talking to the media that whole year, the television people refused and so they gave it to Staubach instead.

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score
Don Meredith was a gutsy QB, but he wasn’t even remotely close to a Hall of Fame QB. Romo has no shot at the Hall of Fame. Some of you clearly don’t understand what the Hall of Fame is all about.
None stop running off from your mouth...I haven't stated in a post who I felt belonged, but you are so full of crap you still have to blame someone and try to make them your personal whipping boy. You have already been explained this and still are just full of yourself. The OP was NOT, you are so deaf that I will repeat, the OP was NOT by me and I have said NOT A SINGLE WORD YET, on who does belong. Your disrespect I don't need nor will accept....go play in a parking lot.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
None stop running off from your mouth...I haven't stated in a post who I felt belonged, but you are so full of crap you still have to blame someone and try to make them your personal whipping boy. You have already been explained this and still are just full of yourself. The OP was NOT, you are so deaf that I will repeat, the OP was NOT by me and I have said NOT A SINGLE WORD YET, on who does belong. Your disrespect I don't need nor will accept....go play in a parking lot.
You need to calm down. I don’t understand why you’re so upset over my opinion. I didn’t agree with the OP about Don Meredith, and you took offense. You mentioned Dan Marino not winning a championship, as if Don Meredith was on par with Marino. Dan Fouts and Warren Moon never won a Super Bowl, but they’re in the Hall of Fame. Winning a Super Bowl isn’t a criteria for being inducted into the Hall of Fame. Meredith simply didn’t have the numbers or playoff record to be enshrined in the Hall of Fame. There’s really no point in continuing this.

gtb1943

Reaction score
You need to calm down. I don’t understand why you’re so upset over my opinion. I didn’t agree with the OP about Don Meredith, and you took offense. You mentioned Dan Marino not winning a championship, as if Don Meredith was on par with Marino. Dan Fouts and Warren Moon never won a Super Bowl, but they’re in the Hall of Fame. Winning a Super Bowl isn’t a criteria for being inducted into the Hall of Fame. Meredith simply didn’t have the numbers or playoff record to be enshrined in the Hall of Fame. There’s really no point in continuing this.
Dandy Don belongs in the Hall of the Very Good not the HOF.

Anyone comparing Marino and Meredith is an idiot. Marine COMPLETELY rewrote the record books; had the ALL Pro and Pro bowls when that meant something.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Dandy Don belongs in the Hall of the Very Good not the HOF.

Anyone comparing Marino and Meredith is an idiot. Marine COMPLETELY rewrote the record books; had the ALL Pro and Pro bowls when that meant something.
Get a room, smart guy...or get enough arse to pull your own weight.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Meredith, while never leading the Cowboys to a Super Bowl, was always exceptionally popular with Cowboys fans, who remember him for his grit and toughness, his outgoing nature, and his leadership during the first winning seasons for the Cowboys. During his career, he had a 50.7% completion rate, throwing for 17,199 yards and 135 touchdowns with a lifetime passer rating of 74.8. He was named the NFL Player of the Year in 1966 and was named to the Pro Bowl three times. According to the NFL, the longest pass with no yards after catch was his 83-yard pass to Bob Hayes. However, the NFL does not keep statistics on the distance of actual passes.

Meredith spent two years as a backup to Eddie LeBaron, eventually splitting time in 1962 before he was given the full-time starting job by head coach Tom Landry in 1963. In 1966, Meredith led the Cowboys to the NFL postseason, something he continued to do until his unexpected retirement before the 1969 season. His two most heartbreaking defeats came in NFL Championship play against the Green Bay Packers, 34–27 in Dallas (1966), during which he was intercepted on a 4th-down passing play, an interception that he later claimed was due to a coaching issue, having incorrect personnel and formation on the field;[4] and the famous "Ice Bowl" game, 21–17 in Green Bay (1967). Already feeling physically and mentally fatigued as a leader, he had his worst playoff outing in 1968 against the Cleveland Browns in the Eastern Conference Championship game, throwing three interceptions before being benched, which led to his retirement in 1969 at age 31. His successor Craig Morton also struggled to win a championship until ultimately Roger Staubach proved to be the missing ingredient needed to finally help the 1971 Cowboys win their first Super Bowl.

Twice to the NFC Campionship...barely losing the final games in the NFL. Landy and the Cowboys were building a record to build from. Meredith was very good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Meredith

CCBoy

Reaction score
With you, never was...you don't give respect so don't expect it.

You have non-stop talked the greatness of Jimmy Johnson and Dak Prescott being a ball of crap looking for a place to hide.

Even with your ace Jimmy Johnson pulling the strings for four years, Dan Marino was also good and didn't win it all. You explain nothing and brag insights.

Now, HOW could that happen if not living on the coattails of other fans rooting for their own players. Your excuses never change...says you and your fellow ring-tappers version of the sport. NO THANKS...you don't have any place with this fan. Good bye, hillbilly ballad maker.

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
With you, never was...you don't give respect so don't expect it.

You have non-stop talked the greatness of Jimmy Johnson and Dak Prescott being a ball of crap looking for a place to hide.

Even with your ace Jimmy Johnson pulling the strings for four years, Dan Marino was also good and didn't win it all. You explain nothing and brag insights.

Now, HOW could that happen if not living on the coattails of other fans rooting for their own players. Your excuses never change...says you and your fellow ring-tappers version of the sport. NO THANKS...you don't have any place with this fan. Good bye, hillbilly ballad maker.
Boy, did I get under your skin. :laugh: You need to take a couple of days off from here and try and relax.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

Lee Roy Jordan, LB, 1963-76​

There is arguably not a more deserving former Cowboy more deserving of enshrinement in Canton than Jordan.

Ed “Too Tall” Jones, DE, 1974-89​

Too Tall was the No. 1 overall pick in 1973 and lived up to the billing.

Don Meredith, QB, 1960-68​

Dandy Don is one of the greatest personalities the NFL has ever produced.

Jason Witten, TE, 2003-18​

Being consistently great has to count for something. And there isn’t a Cowboy who showed up ready for work more often than Witten.

Everson Walls, CB, 1981-89​

Walls was a shutdown cover corner, who made a massive impact during his rookie season in 1981, intercepting 11 passes. He led the league in interceptions two other times in his career.

Darren Woodson, S, 1992-2003​

The Cowboys’ all-time leading tackler (813 solo), Woodson is the most recent entrant to the team’s Ring of Honor. Woodson was a member of all three Super Bowl winning teams in the 1990s and made three straight All-Pro teams and five straight Pro Bowls.

Harvey Martin, DE, 1973-83​

It took a generational pass rusher like DeMarcus Ware to eclipse Martin’s franchise sack record.

Cornell Green, CB, 1962-74​

One of legendary scout Gil Brandt’s greatest discoveries, Green didn’t play football until he reached the NFL. He was a basketball star in college.

Tony Romo, QB, 2004-16​

Romo is the most polarizing player in franchise history.

Ralph Neely, OT, 1965-77​

Neely became the Cowboys’ starting right tackle immediately after being drafted in 1965. He was named to the NFL’s All-Rookie team. He became a three-time All-Pro and two-time Pro Bowler at the position.

Nate Newton, OG, 1986-98​

The Cowboys had one of the greatest offensive lines of all time during the 1990’s. Yet only one player off that line – Larry Allen – is in the Hall of Fame.

George Andrie, DE, 1962-72​

Andrie ranks as one of the most underrated players in franchise history.

Charlie Waters, S, 1970-81​

The back end of the Doomsday defense was special.

https://thelandryhat.com/posts/13-d...-football-hall-of-fame-romo-witten-woodson/14
Good list, lad!
However Andrie and Waters don't quite make it.

kskboys

Reaction score
THEN QUIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is what makes the HOF so great. Not everyone gets in. And as we have recently seen with Howley it’s never over.

Im very pleased Howley and Pearson finally got in. Much like Hayes and Wright a few years ago. Great examples that it’s never over even if it comes posthumously.

Many of these listed are a reasonable argument but it’s difficult for me to recommend me one of our own for HOF when we don’t have them in our own ROH.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Many of these listed are a reasonable argument but it’s difficult for me to recommend me one of our own for HOF when we don’t have them in our own ROH.
That's on Jerry and we know how cranky he is. The HOF is something completely different.

And I don't care they have put Cowboys in recently the evidence is clear they are still biased against them.

Pearson, Hayes, Hawley and Wright should have all been in during the 80's not the 2000's. Ridiculous.