2 high priced DE's

Havic

Reaction score
This was stated before the 1.2.3.4.

It is an assumption that he will have a monster year, but I think he will. The pretense of the thread is that Gregory is top 3 or so in sacks.

I am rooting for him but I think a more realistic expectation would be 8-10 sacks.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
I am rooting for him but I think a more realistic expectation would be 8-10 sacks.

Do you think they can sign him, or replace those 8-10 sacks with someone else that would be cheaper?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Um, it should be both. No other team had a high rnd pick jack them around and contribute as little as RG did during his weed suspensions.
Ok then so if he's a liability then just let him walk...what's the issue? They chose to draft him high knowing his issues....he didn't trick them lol.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I am not worried, It is a team building money type issue. There is not a lot to talk about in June, and team formation/building and the cap is fairly interesting

I'm not saying not to talk about it I'm just saying you're thinking about things that may work themselves out. By seasons end we may not even want Gregory on the team.

T-RO

Reaction score
Gregory will get a nice contract, but I believe he will also show Jerry some appreciation. It’s a win win for everyone concerned.

I like your optimism, but even if Gregory feels some loyalty, his agent, friends, family and the player's union will "encourage" him to see things a different way.

I can't really remember when a player gave big home team discount, and that's what it would require for us to re-sign him.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Ususally i would agrre but RG being in the league still has alot to do with the Jones.....who have stuck by and paid him for very little play up to this point. I'm not saying he should play for peanuts but he should be down for a team friendly structure that pays him well.

The guy was just working at the Amazon Warehouse last year.......he will be about 28 or 29 when he gets a deal....he's going to be looking to bank and rightfully so.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I like your optimism, but even if Gregory feels some loyalty, his agent, friends, family and the player's union will "encourage" him to see things a different way.

I can't really remember when a player gave big home team discount, and that's what it would require for us to re-sign him.
No one really gives discounts.....their idea of discounts is what Tyron Smith did....but he was still paid well.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
I'm not saying not to talk about it I'm just saying you're thinking about things that may work themselves out. By seasons end we may not even want Gregory on the team.

By seasons end, i will most definetly want him.

He had 3 forced fumbles, 1 pass deflection, 3.5 sacks, 4 tackles for loss, 12 qb hits, 15 solo tackles after missing 6 games and having no offseason after a year of not playing. He was close many times.

It would be hard for me to believe he doesn't improve on last year. Especially when the defense has improved.

Do you enjoy watching him, when he is on the field?

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Ususally i would agrre but RG being in the league still has alot to do with the Jones.....who have stuck by and paid him for very little play up to this point. I'm not saying he should play for peanuts but he should be down for a team friendly structure that pays him well.

When he's suspended he doesn't get paid. And we have seen other talented players like Josh Gordon get multiple chances. To be honest, odds are if we cut him, someone would have picked him up. I think the fact that he felt supported by Dallas counts for something, and may have helped motivate him into staying in shape and mentally focused on football, but I don't think he would be out of chances if it weren't for us.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
By seasons end, i will most definetly want him.

He had 3 forced fumbles, 1 pass deflection, 3.5 sacks, 4 tackles for loss, 12 qb hits, 15 solo tackles after missing 6 games and having no offseason after a year of not playing. He was close many times.

It would be hard for me to believe he doesn't improve on last year. Especially when the defense has improved.

Do you enjoy watching him, when he is on the field?
I do....but if he gets hurt this year...or if he has 3 sacks....I'm not sure if I'd spend resources on bringing that type of guy back.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
I do....but if he gets hurt this year...or if he has 3 sacks....I'm not sure if I'd spend resources on bringing that type of guy back.

It is going to be interesting. I know the cowboys had the worst defense last year, but they added a bunch to the defense. The DB's improved which can add a second or two in coverage, the dt's improved and hopefully can free up the Lb's to blitz and make tackles and maybe get some pressure themselves, the Lb'ers improved.

They added all sorts of role players

I have an optimistic viewpoint, but hopefully the qb is getting hit and pushed from all directions. They are not loaded at every position, but they have some talented guys

Silly

Reaction score
I don't know. Lots of football needs to be played before we know what will happen with Randy!

ghst187

Reaction score
Getting Jaylon and LVE money freed up after this season should give us some latitude.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
It’s sign the guy or possibly get as high as a 3rd if he walks. Not a bad consolation. I don’t worry as much about losing players due to that. Gain a pic, lose a high salary.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You guys are worried about things that are happening after this upcoming season. Its like with Aldon Smith last year...everyone thought he was playing himself into a big deal...now he left and no one really cared. If Gregory has a bad year or gets hurt....nothing to worry about.
This!! Let's get this year in and let Jerry worry about it.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score

Although i agree with your premise., RG's agent will have a lot of say i am sure. Agents have reps they got to protect and enhance. You don't want to be the one who gets lowballed or settles for discounts for whatever reasons. RG also will say the right things prior, but it is all about the money. If he has a great year, the Jones are going to have to pony up. By the way, his agent Peter Schaffer is considered one of the top 5 according to some mags and been around for around 25 years. You don't get that by getting lowballed.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
This is the one player I would expect to give a discount......RG should be extremely nice to the Jones when it comes to his next contract..lets hope he does.

Only if they extend him this offseason. If he hits free agency, it's market rate. Hence my surprise that they have made no noise about extending Gregory.

Lawrence was overpriced in the Marinelli 4-3, and now is probably a much worse fit in the new defensive scheme. Extend Gregory this year, move on from Lawrence next year.
Randy Gregorys contract is up after this year.

It is an assumption that he will have a monster year, but I think he will. The pretense of the thread is that Gregory is top 3 or so in sacks. The cowboys are paying a high priced DE, QB, WR, LB'er, and offensive tackles.

1. Can the cowboys have 2 high priced DE's
2. For people who know the cap, do they currently have the money to sign him
3. If the cowboys sign Gregory, what major players can't they sign
4. If they do sign him, I am assuming that will mean cheap contracts and league minimums at a lot of positions. Do you think the cowboys have filled their roster holes well, and have they done well with all the young guys on their team

As far as the money and cap issues on this thread, if you don't know the books and the cap, don't answer that part

On the bright side, no more guaranteed money for DLaw in 2022. 19mil dead before a 19mil salary. We can get out.

On the dark side, in our new defense, Gregory is just a DPR. Limited snaps. He should be an all game player. He's just *worth more* on a team where he can be. With all our hybrid hokey pokey, it no longer makes much sense to pay any dlineman big bucks. We just won't be getting value in snaps per dollar. Again, the high priced players will just be worth more where they can play more snaps.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
On the dark side, in our new defense, Gregory is just a DPR. Limited snaps. He should be an all game player. He's just *worth more* on a team where he can be. With all our hybrid hokey pokey, it no longer makes much sense to pay any dlineman big bucks. We just won't be getting value in snaps per dollar. Again, the high priced players will just be worth more where they can play more snaps.

I am no expert on schemes, but i can't imagine Quinn not getting a whole bunch of use out of gregory. What can he run without gregory that will produce more than with him