20 Questions: 7 - Can Trey Lance Overtake Cooper Rush

Chasing6

Reaction score
It is stupid, I repeat - stupid, to simply look at just the stats of first 4 games on a QBs career. Especially, one that was expected to sit and learn because they're raw, but were forced in due to injury.

He had 4 games, three as a rookie, and one his 2nd year. He had about an 84 passer rating. That's way better than a TON of QBs, even high profile QBs who had great careers.
His 1st game, he had a 117 passer rating - he actually came in midway through this game, so really it's only a 3.5 game sample size. His 3rd Game, he has 116 passer rating. Right off the bat, that's 50% of his games with 116 or higher passer rating, with 4 TDs to 1 Int.

The team also wasn't as stacked as it is now. There was no CMac. Mostert was on IR. Aiyuk was just a second year guy that was only solid. They were 3-5 to start the season. Don't tell me that's because of Lance and his 1.5 games (They were already losing when he came in the first game, and they put up more points with him than Jimmy G).

Fact: It's foolish to take a 3.5 game sample size and pretend it means much of anything for a QB coming into the league.
Fact: It is even more foolish to do that with an extremely raw rookie who needs time to learn.
Fact: Contrary to what you like to pretend, it is not all bad, and there is definitely some good mixed in.
Is it stupid for look at his entire career???

Chasing6

Reaction score
oh, I am with you. I am just saying when you draft top 5, you are looking for elite talent. he was #3 over all pick.

they fell in love with his athleticism and just like all other NFL coaches before them, they thought they are going to make him an NFL QB.
He’s giving his opinion based on what he saw. It’s not like Trey Lance arrived in Dallas loaded with confidence. He ended up the third QB in San Francisco and got dumped for a fourth round pick. On the other hand, Cooper Rush has some confidence. He was in a competition last summer with Will Greer and won. He’s been in several QB competitions and won. He’s also won some games for the Cowboys.
Rush played 50 games in college 13,000 yards with a 139 rating.

7 times more completions in HS.

Trance is not a QB. He is an athlete trying to play QB.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Lance isn't beating out rush for the backup job. That doesn't mean they won't decide to cut rush and make lance the backup but it won't be because Lance beats out rush in fair competition on the field.
The Cowboys aren’t going to promote Lance to the backup position if he doesn’t perform well in training camp and preseason. They aren’t about to cut Rush who they’ve won some games with in favor of a QB who can’t beat him out. The Cowboys have some confidence in Cooper Rush. He helped salvage their season in 2022 with five wins. McCarthy‘s job is on the line this season and he’s not about to go with Lance at backup if he doesn’t beat out Rush.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The Cowboys aren’t going to promote Lance to the backup position if he doesn’t perform well in training camp and preseason. They aren’t about to cut Rush who they’ve won some games with in favor of a QB who can’t beat him out. The Cowboys have some confidence in Cooper Rush. He helped salvage their season in 2022 with five wins. McCarthy‘s job is on the line this season and he’s not about to go with Lance at backup if he doesn’t beat out Rush.
I hope so but it's not mikes choice for sure. I wouldn't be surprised if lance doesn't beat out coop but still shows enough for Stephen to cut cooper just to save 2.25 million. Remember they save nothing if they cut lance.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I hope so but it's not mikes choice for sure. I wouldn't be surprised if lance doesn't beat out coop but still shows enough for Stephen to cut cooper just to save 2.25 million. Remember they save nothing if they cut lance.
I think it is Mike’s choice. You don’t know anything for sure, none of us do. Not even the Joneses are going to want Lance as the next man up if he doesn’t perform well this summer. Jerry gave up a third round pick for Drew Henson in the early 2000s. Once he saw he couldn’t perform, Henson was gone. We never got a chance to see him play in preseason because he arrived too late. Jerry talked Parcells into starting him on Thanksgiving when Vinny wasn’t 100%. Parcels benched Henson after the first half and he was done. If Lance were to perform well in camp and preseason and is made the backup, I still believe the Cowboys will hang onto Rush just in case. They have to have a QB who knows the system and who’s won some games for them to fall back on in the event Dak is injured and Lance doesn’t perform well in relief. We have to have another QB as insurance we can count on.