2005 Commanders=2003 Cowboys

MossTDMossTD

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
Arrington may have whiffed on some tackles, but he was still a positive impact for the defense, especially against the run. Washington's average yards allowed per carry went from 4.8 ypc with Holdman as the starter to 3.7 ypc with Arrington.

I've heard the same complaints about Arrington and Skins fans trying to refute his impact on defense for the Skins last year. But, the stats can't all be lying and Joyner further backs up these stats. And Arrington started 2 games when Griffin was out and 1 game when Taylor was out.

He was worlds more as a starter than Holdman and company were in 2005.

Rich..........
and our Defense averaged 3.1 ypc against us in 2004 without Arrington, he wasn't a factor in stopping the run.

wileedog

Reaction score
MossTDMossTD said:
and our Defense averaged 3.1 ypc against us in 2004 without Arrington, he wasn't a factor in stopping the run.

That was with Pierce tho, who had a very good season.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
MossTDMossTD said:

That was 2004 when you had Marshall playing weakside and Pierce playing MLB.

In 2005 you had Marshall playing MLB and Holdman playing weakside until Arrington took over Holdman's spot.

Marshall+Pierce in 2004 > Arrington+Marshall in 2005

Arrington+Marshall in 2005 >> Holdman+Marshall in 2005

You're average ypc went down by a full yard with him starting in 2005. Unless Holdman (projected starter) improves tremendously or some other factor happens (i.e. Archuleta) Arrington's impact will probably be missed.

Rich................

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
MossTDMossTD said:
There is nothing wrong with our Dline. We have a run stopping Dline that is perhaps the best one in the league at doing so. In Gregg Williams' scheme his Dline does not get much pressure on the QB, they stop the run first and foremost.
WWhy do you guys insist that because Lloyd and Andre Carter came from the 49ers that they suck. Well apparently you guys got TO from the Eagles, and they sucked last year, and he was a large contributer to that lack of success.

The Commanders were not overachievers last year, for the most part we were underachievers like against Denver, KC, Oakland, TB, and San Diego. The games we overachieved in was @Dallas, and @Ari.

you are joking about the best in the league...right? I hope you aer because if you want to be taken seriously then you need to re-examine what you said.

last year Commanders ranked 13th in rush defense.... dallas.....15th....how could they be best in stopping the run when they are giving up 4.1 yds. per rush that ranked washington 21st in the league with dallas being 24th.

you expect carter!! to improve the rush D? or is it AA that's suppose to transform the Commanders to the best rush D in the league. by any measure the washington D was above average, not elite, not great. above average. guess what...the dallas D ranked right behind the washington D in every major defensive category. that was with two starting LBs missing and a CB who missed 5 games.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
MossTDMossTD said:

keep saying that and click your heels three times and you will be in kansas.

and if you really believe that, I have a bridge in brooklyn I like to sell you really cheap.

MONT17

Reaction score
here is what Skins fans dont see and may never see until they play the Giants this year...

you cannot block LAVAR with a RB and expect to have success in your passing attack!!! so instead of having your RB pick up the LB, teams that play LAVAR will have to leave a TE in to help or slide the protection to his side... chip, dbl team whatever. But u cannot make a livin with a RB blockin LAVAR. period!

now lets look on the Skins roster to see who else commands that type of attention...

thats the game most Skins fans dont see... the game within the game!

In addition, for a Skins fan to say Lloyd and Carter will be fine because T.O. came from a losing team is just sad... and the Football IQ of this thread just decreased by half with that statement! why dont you just say "your mama!"....

but I guess when u are not sure about some FA signings u will say anything and forget the fact that TO didnt play much last year...

9ers review... most teams with a ROOKIE QB try to keep good WRs not get rid of them! Thats like the BOYS trading IRVIN after the 89 season or the Colts trading Harrison after the 98 season.... it doest happen unless there is a problem with the WR!

I'm trying to be objective... anyone in their right mind has to think something is up if the 9ers trade Lloyd and sign AB to replace him!

Now objectivity has to go both ways... how many 5-6 teams make the playoffs? the schedule and the health of the Skins were key components to them making the playoffs not the talent!

Just to let some of u Skins fans know BRUNELL is not the type of QB who will succeed with 3 WR sets and thats if he is not playing injured... when healthy he is a stare down Qb who makes plays once the pocket breaks down with an above average DEEP BALL! His game is nothing compared to TRENT GREEN who (had the entire O at his disposal) makes reads much quicker and never stares down WRs and is much more accurate.

do you really think they will have the same amout of SAUNDERs O, after cpl of OTAs with a hurt QB and a slow rookie, as they did in KC? dont answer that!

hey that gawd for TODD COLLINs right!!!

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
I agree with you. Skins fans think that if you have a 10-6 team that made the playoffs, all you have to do is add a couple of pieces (the record proves you aren't that far away, right?) and you are automatically a contender.

As we found, it's not that simple.

to be fair, going into '04 we decided to make minimal changes, and that it would hold us over till the FA class was stronger in '05, while Washington has aggressively pursued options to fill holes, although they overpaid while doing so

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Gfunk said:
the division's best defense is not gonna be sitting in the division's cellar
you got some competition for that role, we were right behind you last year, and added better players, and have a year in the 3-4 under our belts

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
illone said:
The truth is you guys WISH deep down inside that we will tank. Without that deep desire threads like this do not exist.

really? then what explains your prescence on here?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
MossTDMossTD said:
We have a run stopping Dline that is perhaps the best one in the league at doing so.

nope, that's San Diego

MossTDMossTD said:
In Gregg Williams' scheme his Dline does not get much pressure on the QB, they stop the run first and foremost.

you guys don't run the 3-4, so I dont know why you're taking pride in a Dline that's best at stopping the run

MossTDMossTD said:
WWhy do you guys insist that because Lloyd and Andre Carter came from the 49ers that they suck. Well apparently you guys got TO from the Eagles, and they sucked last year, and he was a large contributer to that lack of success.

no he wasn't, he only played half the season, and Lloyd and Carter, esp. Carter are known for sucking, not TO

MONT17

Reaction score
MossTDMossTD said:
I think our sacks shoudl get marginally better. Lossing Lavar hurts nothing as he had 0 sacks last year. We added Archuleta, who is a much better rusher than Ryan Clark, but its still hard to expect a decent change because of a SS. Andre Carter should get more pressure on the QB than Renaldo Wynn. I am not expecting a large increase, but a small increase in pressure would do wonders for our defense.

how much did Carter get? I bet the SKINs are a little more hopeful than you!

but then again everything is fine we only need little effort out of these guys... sounds like u are setting up for a let down! If u dont expect much u wont be hurt when u find out the guy was all about Synders Signature!!!

MONT17

Reaction score
Here is why some skins fans think the skins will be good next year... they look at the offseason moves and say "I would have done the same thing"... they see no fault in the logic!!!

example

when u cant trade for Javon Walker trade for Lloyd!

When a back up WR/PR wants to sign with his hometown Team offer him a cpl million more...

when you need a SS sign the guy that was a first round pick a cpl years ago forget the fact that the 06 draft is full of them...

when u need a DE sign the guy that had 13 sax 4 years ago forget the fact that the 06 draft has plenty of them...

when u need a TE sign the guy from with the SB rings he must be good, look at the WR we got the year before...

need to draft someone lets see what Clinton Portis/Sean Taylor have to say about the LB they played with while he was a redshirt! Scouts? who needs stinking college scouts? they played with the guy!

90% of the SKINS moves, are moves your everyday Skins fan would make and thats why they have come out of the woodwork!!!

everyday Skins fan dont understand why you draft players when you can just pay players... Your everyday Skins fan says well if LAVAR doesnt have any sacks we dont need him, but a DE who we expect to have a little more than our old guy, he will be all the upgrade we need!

sad

TobiasEagle77

Reaction score
Possibly. I certainly agree that they over-achieved last year, but you can't say for certain they won't repeat that this year. One thing I'll say, the 2005 Skins stayed remarkably healthy as did the 2003 Boys. In 04, the boys lack of depth at cornerback was exposed along with some other issues that were brushed over by a somewhat successful 03. I think the same could happen with the Skins, who are shallow at various positions, most notably offensive line.

With the Skins, I always refrain from predictions, becuase their stacked coaching staff is a factor that I cannot accurately estimate. It is hard to say if that factor will compensate for other areas that I see as a weakness.

illone

Reaction score
Mont17, the problem with your logic (lack there of) is that you don't realize that the Skins don't settle for anyone. We get what/who we want. Period.

If you don't know this already I suggest you start paying closer attention. See even the rest of the NFL knows this. You should really follow along. It's not too difficult.

Agents ALWAYS use the Skins as marketing strategy when a player hits the market. Notice the Skins are always in the rumor mill as potential landing spots for free agents?

Yea, that's called driving the price up, or at least trying to.

We could have had Walker. We didn't want him.

illone

Reaction score
TobiasEagle77 said:
With the Skins, I always refrain from predictions, becuase their stacked coaching staff is a factor that I cannot accurately estimate. It is hard to say if that factor will compensate for other areas that I see as a weakness.

You are on the right track here. Excellent post.

Kilyin

Reaction score
2233boys said:
Our DC is a joke and does just enough to stick around. A lot of Smoke and Mirrors too..

:jerk:

Yeah, our defense really sucked last year, especially considering it was a brand new scheme that Zimmer had never coached. You haters crack me up, and of course you never offer anything to substantiate your baseless whining.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Gfunk said:
the division's best defense is not gonna be sitting in the division's cellar

that's not how it works

how our offseason hyped offense does remains to be seen, but never forget, when you play Washington it's defense first

I wouldn't go as far as saying your defense is the best. You have a mediocre secondary. And unless Andre Carter is the pass rusher you guys hope he is, that defense won't be that dominant. No one said cellar of the division either, but there are alot of question marks on your team, but frankly, all NFC East teams have them.

I wouldn't say that Wash has no good DL players. Salave'a is very good. Daniels and Carter are adequate.

Because of Tiki Barbers age and wear (he will not have another season like he did last year), I would give you guys the nod at RB in the division.

Problem is, you are like us at QB. Unproven youngsters, and an aging starter. Bledsoe, IMO, was better than Brunell, and has more in the tank.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
To add something.

Dallas started 03 very strong and fell off at the end. Washington got hot at the end. So if Washington has 1 thing going for them, it's a playoff win, and some strong perfomances near the end of the season to build on.

Derinyar

Reaction score
illone said:
Mont17, the problem with your logic (lack there of) is that you don't realize that the Skins don't settle for anyone. We get what/who we want. Period.

If you don't know this already I suggest you start paying closer attention. See even the rest of the NFL knows this. You should really follow along. It's not too difficult.

Agents ALWAYS use the Skins as marketing strategy when a player hits the market. Notice the Skins are always in the rumor mill as potential landing spots for free agents?

Yea, that's called driving the price up, or at least trying to.

We could have had Walker. We didn't want him.
Teams always settle. Would any team want Randle El over someone more proven? Of course not. Walker is a special case as he is still not fully back from a knee injury, otherwise yes I suspect the Skins would have rather had Walker. Hes been a better player than either of the two guys you acquired have been.