2010 Winter Olympics

kristie

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;3285887 said:
Gotta feel sorry for Dutch skater Sven Kramer. He won the 10000m speed skating event in Olympic record time but was disqualified for using the wrong lane. His coach told him to use one lane when he should have used the other.

That is reason enough to go postal.

It gave Korea a free gold medal.

stinks.:mad:

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;3285887 said:
Gotta feel sorry for Dutch skater Sven Kramer. He won the 10000m speed skating event in Olympic record time but was disqualified for using the wrong lane. His coach told him to use one lane when he should have used the other.

That is reason enough to go postal.

It gave Korea a free gold medal.

That coach is lucky Kramer didn't floor him... he absolutely dominated that race...

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Kramer did act like a spoiled child for yelling at the coach but most of us probably would have as well.

Most touching story of the games though is Canadian figure skater Joannie Rochette who skated to 3rd last night after the short program despite fact her mom died on Sunday. Her mom came out to watch her in the Olympics, no previous health issues were known, and she dropped dead of a heart attack Sunday morning.

No one on the planet can want anything other than a Rochette medal after tomorrow's long program.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
Just like when we played Canada, chalk up another win for team U S A!

Avaj

Peace Be Still
Reaction score
Vonn hurt by Mancuso jibe over popularity

VANCOUVER (Reuters) - Downhill gold medalist Lindsey Vonnvar hb4 = new HelpBalloon({dataURL: '/athletes/athlete=2097/library/_flyout.html'}); said she has been hurt by comments from teammate and rival Julia Mancusovar hb4 = new HelpBalloon({dataURL: '/athletes/athlete=2098/library/_flyout.html'}); that the U.S. team is being harmed by a "popularity contest."

The rivalry between the two American skiers has been bubbling under the surface throughout the Games but went public on Wednesday.

Mancuso, who has won two silvers at Whistler, was quoted by Sports Illustrated's website as saying: "It's such a popularity contest. Our team is struggling, as a group.

"People are having a hard time reaching their potential because it's such a struggle for attention. You come to meetings after races and it's like it's a bad day if Lindsey didn't do well."

In response, on Tuesday Vonn, who also took bronze in super G, said she fully backed Mancuso as a teammate.

"I try to support Julia as much as I support all the other teammates. I have been racing with Julia since I was a little kid and yes we are competitors but I always support her and it has definitely hurt me that she has said some negative things about me.

"All I can do is continue to support her like I always have done and hope that she reciprocates that.

"I am always proud that an American is doing well and I was proud of her for being on the podium in downhill in super combined and it just bums me out," she said.

The tension between the pair was exacerbated after a giant slalom first run in which Vonn crashed out and then Mancuso, the defending Olympic champion, had to stop her run and go back to the top due to her teammate still receiving treatment on the course.

A distraught Mancuso, who finished 18th after her first run, rushed away from the course, streaming in tears while Vonn said she felt awful about the incident.

"I feel terrible for Julia, it is absolutely not what I wanted. I wanted to finish, I wanted to have a good run and by no means wanted that to happen to Julia.

"All I can say is that I feel terrible and really hope she can ski the way she has been skiing and hopefully have a good second run and punch it back in there," Vonn told reporters.

But in another sign of the tension that now clearly exists between the pair, Vonn added: "I know that she is mad and probably frustrated and probably mad at me but I can't help that I fell.

"I wanted to finish I was having a great run and wish I could have come down and not have her be flagged and that is absolutely not what I wanted -- it happened, all you can do is deal with the hand that you are dealt," she said.

The second run of the giant slalom was not raced as scheduled due to thick fog.

The first leg was held in driving snow and low visibility Wednesday morning, and organizers attempted to get the second run in by shortening the course and delaying the start several times in the afternoon.

But the fog only got worse, making it difficult for competitors to see.

It was not immediately announced whether the race would pick up with the second leg on another day, of if it will restart from scratch.

Elisabeth Goergl of Austria led the opening leg in 1 minute, 15.12 seconds. Taina Barioz of France was only 0.02 behind, and Kathrin Zettel of Austria was third, 0.16 back.
Source

Cover 2

Pessimists Unite!!!
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3286731 said:
Did Vonn really say she was "bummed out"?

Sorry Lindsey, but you're trying too hard.
Someone as rad as her doesn't have to try.

Gzus

Romosexual
Reaction score
burmafrd;3286728 said:
Frankly Mancusco sounds like the spoiled brat.
I actually like Mancuso more than Vonn. Vonn takes advantage of all the attention and publicity sent her way when honestly she hadn't earned any of it on the olympic stage. Mancuso wasn't covered by any of the media outlets when she already had a gold from previous olympics and IMHO I think she's hotter than Vonn. Vonn is a creation of media hype, Mancuso is the real deal. She's hotter than and is as talented as Vonn.

Avaj

Peace Be Still
Reaction score
Gzus;3286831 said:
I actually like Mancuso more than Vonn. Vonn takes advantage of all the attention and publicity sent her way when honestly she hadn't earned any of it on the olympic stage. Mancuso wasn't covered by any of the media outlets when she already had a gold from previous olympics and IMHO I think she's hotter than Vonn. Vonn is a creation of media hype, Mancuso is the real deal. She's hotter than and is as talented as Vonn.
I'm going to have to agree with this. I've never bought into the Vonn hype. I like Mancuso better, I like her skiing style better then Vonn. I think she is more attractive then Vonn. Does blonde hair make you attractive these days :confused:

ethiostar

Reaction score
Avaj;3286836 said:
I'm going to have to agree with this. I've never bought into the Vonn hype. I like Mancuso better, I like her skiing style better then Vonn. I think she is more attractive then Vonn. Does blonde hair make you attractive these days :confused:

Speaking of attractiveness, is it a requirement that women who compete in an event that involves the snow need to be at least better than average looking? I'm talking about the Olympics. I don't really follow the winter olympics but every time my wife or I turn the channel to it and there is a woman being interviewed or something, she is almost always very good looking.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Wow... kind of a ticky-tacky call against S. Korea... costing them the gold...

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Mancuso shouldn't talk about someone being a prima donna... she's the one who wears the tiara everywhere.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
trickblue;3286895 said:
Wow... kind of a ticky-tacky call against S. Korea... costing them the gold...

South Korean goons get DQed. I tend to agree with you but they are goons on the ice.

US got a free medal though so you must have been happy.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
I think Mancuso is better looking as well.

I say they should settle their differences in mud in the Whistler square.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
burmafrd;3287075 said:
big talk from a team that got beat on their own ice....

The truth of the matter is that we shouldn't even be a player in this. Hockey is the national past time of Canada. And more than likely Sweeden, Switzerland, Finland etc.

It ranks about 3rd or 4th in America in terms of popularity. So we shouldn't be as good as we are. IMO, any medla we get is a phenomenal feat for a country that doesn't really care about the sport in any great numbers.

magnakidv4

Reaction score
I'm pulling for the U.S. but if they have to play Canada for the gold its gonna be a tough game. I'm glad we won't have to listen about how great Ovie is now that Russia is OUT! Woooooooooooo!