2010 Winter Olympics

Eskimo

Reaction score
AmarilloCowboyFan;3288371 said:
I heard many times early on in these games how Canada had spent millions of dollars in an effort to get the overall medal count, not the Gold.

Yes, it was felt that with the natural geography that we have, we should be amongst the best in winter sports in the world. However, over many decades we had not done well. Starting after the 1988 Calgary Olympics a decision was made to keep the sites built open and use them as a training ground for future Olympians and this did pay dividends over time as our medal counts have been steadily increasing since.

After the 2002 Olympics a decision was made that we needed to put Canadian athletes on equal footing with those from around the world by having better equipment, coaches, training facilities, etc. There aren't really quite the same sort of sponsorship opportunities here as in some of the larger countries.

We are doing well although there has been some public backlash over Canadians who have almost brokendown because they didn't do as well as had been hoped. It has put a bit of a negative face on the games. We don't want to see Olympic athletes crying because they didn't achieve a medal for our country. We just want to see our athletes go out and compete on an even playing field with the best in the world. Whatever medals come, will come and we are proud of them. But we are also proud of all our athletes who have risen to the Olympic level of competition no matter how well they did.

I believe the goal is more or less to build the idea in Canadian athlete's heads that they can be the best in the world and the country will support them in their training.

I'll be sad to see the games coming to an end - it has been a great deal of fun and brought the family, our country and our world together.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;3288312 said:
Other than those twins and maybe Kelli Pack on your hockey team, not like you had Victoria's Secret fashion models either.

At least none of our athletes have been charged with spousal abuse like one of your bobsledders nor do they have fathers who are in jail for fraud as Mancuso's is.

Still though, if the IOC says Gold is most important, who am I to argue? After all these are the IOC's games.
lol......

1) what in the world does Mancuso's father have to do with anything? Have you done a criminal background check on every Canadian athlete and their parents/spouses/children/siblings/cousins, etc.?

2) A quick check on Chris Pronger shows that he was suspended a couple years back for pulling a Albert Haynesworth, and he consistently commits assaults on the ice.

You're such a joke.

UKCowboysFan

Reaction score
ajk23az;3287821 said:
:laugh2: No kidding, then India should be 3X better than us at everything considering they have 1.17 BILLION people..

Yeah but 1.169 Billion of them play cricket, and nothing but cricket :laugh2:

Ren

Reaction score
and another gold for Norway, Canada is back in 4th...

burmafrd

Reaction score
according to some reports the Canadian Girls showed that they can get as drunk and rowdy as the guys can. I guess that is real equality.

Eskimo

Reaction score
burmafrd;3288503 said:
according to some reports the Canadian Girls showed that they can get as drunk and rowdy as the guys can. I guess that is real equality.

Girls will be girls. :)

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;3288128 said:
canwohockey_doomsday_604x341.jpg
Gotta admit, that's kinda turning me on. :p:

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
peplaw06;3288384 said:
lol......

1) what in the world does Mancuso's father have to do with anything? Have you done a criminal background check on every Canadian athlete and their parents/spouses/children/siblings/cousins, etc.?

2) A quick check on Chris Pronger shows that he was suspended a couple years back for pulling a Albert Haynesworth, and he consistently commits assaults on the ice.

You're such a joke.

he was suspended for play on the ice, not for spousal assault, but I am sure in your world they are the same

140 million drug ring, maybe that is how she affords her tiaras :cool:

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
I think though even the most anti-Canadian, anti-french, CCF haters on this board would agree that the best story of the entire games was the way our figure skater Joannie Rochette went out and skated to a glorious bronze medal just five days after her mom died of a heart attack.

That took more guts, courage and balls than any other athlete at these games.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Then why does CNN and every other major news organization I find show that the total of medals counts more then just Gold, canadian? Typical that you would cherry pick what makes you happy and ignore everything else.

Ren

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;3288954 said:
We are ahead of you now, guaranteed 24 medals, have more gold than any other country now.

we'll catch that we'll end today with 9 and get another tomorrow, it all comes down to curling :laugh2:

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;3288953 said:
he was suspended for play on the ice, not for spousal assault, but I am sure in your world they are the same

140 million drug ring, maybe that is how she affords her tiaras :cool:

I'm sure the spousal assault occurred when the accused's wife was caught shopping at the local WalMart...

Again, relevance of Mancuso's father to the Olympics?

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Ren;3289019 said:
we'll catch that we'll end today with 9 and get another tomorrow, it all comes down to curling :laugh2:

Let's be honest. Any medal won in an event that involves a broom, doesn't count. :D