2010 Winter Olympics

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;3287108 said:
The truth of the matter is that we shouldn't even be a player in this. Hockey is the national past time of Canada. And more than likely Sweeden, Switzerland, Finland etc.

It ranks about 3rd or 4th in America in terms of popularity. So we shouldn't be as good as we are. IMO, any medla we get is a phenomenal feat for a country that doesn't really care about the sport in any great numbers.

its funny you say this whole speech after they dominate the game against russia. We better be damn good at every sport we participate in considering we have 310 million people in the country, jeesh. I hate to say it but doesn't the domination of russia just proove that they had a bad game against us?

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
AustnIsMySaviour;3287557 said:
its funny you say this whole speech after they dominate the game against russia. We better be damn good at every sport we participate in considering we have 310 million people in the country, jeesh. I hate to say it but doesn't the domination of russia just proove that they had a bad game against us?

What? That's stupid. Then India should be damn good at everything as well. How did the Indian hockey team do?

Eskimo

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;3287108 said:
The truth of the matter is that we shouldn't even be a player in this. Hockey is the national past time of Canada. And more than likely Sweeden, Switzerland, Finland etc.

It ranks about 3rd or 4th in America in terms of popularity. So we shouldn't be as good as we are. IMO, any medla we get is a phenomenal feat for a country that doesn't really care about the sport in any great numbers.

You have to remember that there are some pockets of the US where hockey is very popular in the more Northern states. That gives a large talent pool to draw upon which does confer an advantage of sorts. The other thing is that the 1980 victory over the USSR paved the way for the development of the game in the USA. Prior to that, it was rare to see a single US resident drafted in the first round of the hockey draft. Everything changed that day for the future of American hockey.

The thing about a sudden death style tournament is you don't really have to be the best team. All you need is a great goalie, a fundamentally sound team and a couple of lucky bounces and there's the gold medal.

It'll be interesting in the next round for you guys because you'll be facing the great Finnish goaltender, Kipprusoff to counter Miller.

We'll have our hands more than full with Vokoun and the Slovaks who have already beaten Russia (in a shootout) and the Swedes (defending champs from 2006).

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;3287798 said:
What? That's stupid. Then India should be damn good at everything as well. How did the Indian hockey team do?

:laugh2: No kidding, then India should be 3X better than us at everything considering they have 1.17 BILLION people..

Gzus

Romosexual
Reaction score
ajk23az;3287821 said:
:laugh2: No kidding, then India should be 3X better than us at everything considering they have 1.17 BILLION people..
The only thing they're 3X better than us at is taking I.T. phone calls. :D

I love the Olympics lol so many ppl falling. It's so much better than the Summer Olympics due to the simple fact that ice and snow are unpredictable at times. I admit I'm actually watching Ice Skating, but only to watch ppl fall on their assess ROFL. I love it I'm watching the Georgian skater fall on her *** probably about 8 times during her routine, it's golden HAHAHA.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Eskimo;3287814 said:
You have to remember that there are some pockets of the US where hockey is very popular in the more Northern states. That gives a large talent pool to draw upon which does confer an advantage of sorts. The other thing is that the 1980 victory over the USSR paved the way for the development of the game in the USA. Prior to that, it was rare to see a single US resident drafted in the first round of the hockey draft. Everything changed that day for the future of American hockey.

The thing about a sudden death style tournament is you don't really have to be the best team. All you need is a great goalie, a fundamentally sound team and a couple of lucky bounces and there's the gold medal.

It'll be interesting in the next round for you guys because you'll be facing the great Finnish goaltender, Kipprusoff to counter Miller.

We'll have our hands more than full with Vokoun and the Slovaks who have already beaten Russia (in a shootout) and the Swedes (defending champs from 2006).

Overall, America really doesn't care much about the sport. It's really the red headed step child to football and baseball. And if basketball was so messed up it would be behind that. And it might be.

We really only care about it when it comes to the Olympics due to National pride. And then I only care to make fun of CCF. :D

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I haven't been watching. Not a Winter sports fan really. I couldn't believe the USA was leading in every medal count.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
IOC detemines medal leaders by number of gold. Right now USA, Germany and Canada are tied with 8 Gold. Canada has two chances in curling. Still chance in short track and men's hockey.

We might own the podium yet.

Ren

Reaction score
Norway still has 4 chances left mens 50KM, womans 30km, biathlon relay and Curling

You'll end up behind us as always

burmafrd

Reaction score
Typical that Canadian wants to use the one measure that Canada has a chance in. All OLYMPIC medals are worthy of counting. Taking the corrupt, piece of crap IOC's word for anything just reflects more on canadian than anything else.

By the way I have always admired Canadian women a lot more then the men seeing what they have to put up with. Your women did well last night. Probably better then your men. As a matter of fact has not most of the medals for Canada come from their women?

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
burmafrd;3288079 said:
Typical that Canadian wants to use the one measure that Canada has a chance in. All OLYMPIC medals are worthy of counting. Taking the corrupt, piece of crap IOC's word for anything just reflects more on canadian than anything else.

By the way I have always admired Canadian women a lot more then the men seeing what they have to put up with. Your women did well last night. Probably better then your men. As a matter of fact has not most of the medals for Canada come from their women?

That's because their men are women. :D

EDIT: Holy Cow. Apparently I am right.

canwohockey_doomsday_604x341.jpg

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Other than those twins and maybe Kelli Pack on your hockey team, not like you had Victoria's Secret fashion models either.

At least none of our athletes have been charged with spousal abuse like one of your bobsledders nor do they have fathers who are in jail for fraud as Mancuso's is.

Still though, if the IOC says Gold is most important, who am I to argue? After all these are the IOC's games.

burmafrd

Reaction score
typical coming from you. Actually these games are for the ATHLETES and the FANS, not your elite snob friends in the IOC.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
I heard many times early on in these games how Canada had spent millions of dollars in an effort to get the overall medal count, not the Gold.

Eskimo

Reaction score
burmafrd;3288079 said:

Yes, I agree that Canadian women are great - married one myself. :)

Congrats to the American women on a well-played game. It's always a battle and we are constantly going back and forth with the World championship and Olympic championships (all 4 Olympic champions from Canada or the USA).

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;3288312 said:
Other than those twins and maybe Kelli Pack on your hockey team, not like you had Victoria's Secret fashion models either.

At least none of our athletes have been charged with spousal abuse like one of your bobsledders nor do they have fathers who are in jail for fraud as Mancuso's is.

Still though, if the IOC says Gold is most important, who am I to argue? After all these are the IOC's games.

:lmao2:

You lose!

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
I thought the game was pretty boring. Martin's curling match was more exciting than the girls' hockey game.

Once it went to 2-0, it was over. US never really threatened.