2011-12 Dallas Mavericks thread.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
I'll also add that the Thunder do have a major weakness: They have a natural two-guard playing the point in Westbrook. He is a shoot first, dribble second and pass third player who does not compliment Durant at all and actively negates his impact at times, which is why he spends a lot of time on the bench in close games. He averages 33 MPG but only 6 MPG in the fourth, and he average less than 5 MPG in the fourth in the playoffs against Dallas last year. When he isnt hitting shots, which is often as he has a traditionally low shooting %, he is a detriment because he takes Durant out of the game.

juck

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4400323 said:
I was quite surprised it took this long for someone to post about that game with all the Mavs and Spurs fans here.

I guess nobody really cares about the NBA these days.

I think the NBA is dying and the lockout did nothing but speed up the process.
I like NBA more than NFL. Im just a real basketball head a lil more than football. I dont like this season though. lockout ball is causing many injuries and David Stern made them play 66(?) instead of 50 like last time there was a lockout.The NBA isnt dying.

MC KAos

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4400323 said:
I was quite surprised it took this long for someone to post about that game with all the Mavs and Spurs fans here.

I guess nobody really cares about the NBA these days.

I think the NBA is dying and the lockout did nothing but speed up the process.

after ginobili got hurt i thought we would go through a slump. as long as we continue to stay in the pack while he is out, we should be in good position to make a nice run at the end of the season to get a high seed.

Pop is micro managing the minutes very well. we played an overtime game vs our biggest rival and no starter played after the 3 minute mark of the third quarter. no sense in running guys into the ground to win 1 game

juck

Reaction score
MC KAos;4400412 said:
after ginobili got hurt i thought we would go through a slump. as long as we continue to stay in the pack while he is out, we should be in good position to make a nice run at the end of the season to get a high seed.

Pop is micro managing the minutes very well. we played an overtime game vs our biggest rival and no starter played after the 3 minute mark of the third quarter. no sense in running guys into the ground to win 1 game
That was a great NBA game u must admit. Ur bench was hitting everything they threw up. I was impressed with Roddy Buckets. We finally have a couple players that can defend Parker. West did a good job on him as well.I cxant believe we won with Dirk still knocking the rust off. If he was on this game would have ended a lot quicker obviously.

MC KAos

Reaction score
juck;4400422 said:
That was a great NBA game u must admit. Ur bench was hitting everything they threw up. I was impressed with Roddy Buckets. We finally have a couple players that can defend Parker. West did a good job on him as well.I cxant believe we won with Dirk still knocking the rust off. If he was on this game would have ended a lot quicker obviously.

ya, i dont think it matters who is on the back of the jerseys, anytime you have a spurs/mavs game, its going to be great 9 times out of 10

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
MC KAos;4400412 said:

IDK, four times in the last ten years the Mavs and Spurs have finished the season within two games of each other and ar ecurrently one game apart. This game could end up being the difference between home court in the first round and having to go on the road.

MC KAos

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4400497 said:
IDK, four times in the last ten years the Mavs and Spurs have finished the season within two games of each other and ar ecurrently one game apart. This game could end up being the difference between home court in the first round and having to go on the road.

but at the same time, the last 3 playoff series between them was won by the lower seed, so ultimately home court doesnt really matter when it comes to spurs/mavs. its just a coinflip really as to who wins

StylisticS

Reaction score
I think its time for Dirk to give up playing for the national team in the summer. He's not 24 anymore. He looks worn out out there.

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4400369 said:
I'll also add that the Thunder do have a major weakness: They have a natural two-guard playing the point in Westbrook. He is a shoot first, dribble second and pass third player who does not compliment Durant at all and actively negates his impact at times, which is why he spends a lot of time on the bench in close games. He averages 33 MPG but only 6 MPG in the fourth, and he average less than 5 MPG in the fourth in the playoffs against Dallas last year. When he isnt hitting shots, which is often as he has a traditionally low shooting %, he is a detriment because he takes Durant out of the game.

That's ridiculous. In that case you can say the Bulls have a major weakness because Rose is a natural two guard. Rose is shoot first as well and he often does shoot low percentages. Bottom line Westbrook is one of the top five point guards in the league so to say he's one of his team's weaknesses is ridiculous.

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4400351 said:
OKC lost because they simply could not defend the Terry/Kidd/Dirk pick and pop/pick and roll game and Dallas frequently got wide open jumpers as the Thunder scrambled to recover defensively. That combined with Dirk putting on arguably the best five minute show in playoff history to close out game four and you get a swift five game exit.

Dallas won so many close playoff games last year by being crafty and closing games strong, and for all the tread on this team's tires they will be tough to beat because no lead is ever safe against them.

Do you honestly see Dirk playing like that again? I don't. Another thing all the games were close. The Thunder simply didn't close games out well due to inexperience that won't happen again this season.

MC KAos

Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4400647 said:
I was flipping back and forth between the Mavs/Spurs game why were the Spurs bench players playing in overtime?

because popovich is managing the minutes beautifully. he has already stated duncan is not playing any of the 4 games in 5 days type stretches. i think the mavs are going to do the same with dirk and kidd. the lakers should do the same with kobe, but i think he is to proud to take days off like that.

Reaction score
MC KAos;4400657 said:
because popovich is managing the minutes beautifully. he has already stated duncan is not playing any of the 4 games in 5 days type stretches. i think the mavs are going to do the same with dirk and kidd. the lakers should do the same with kobe, but i think he is to proud to take days off like that.

We can't do that with Kobe the reason is we have nobody who can create besides him. The offense is terrible when he's not on the floor. He really is the entire offense.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4400655 said:
Do you honestly see Dirk playing like that again? I don't.

Dirk has completely dominated games before. To doubt he could do it again is foolish. He isn't a one hit wonder. There is a reason he is considered the greatest shooting 7 footer in history. Even Larry Bird said he was completely wow'ed by what Dirk can do.

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4400681 said:
Dirk has completely dominated games before. To doubt he could do it again is foolish. He isn't a one hit wonder. There is a reason he is considered the greatest shooting 7 footer in history. Even Larry Bird said he was completely wow'ed by what Dirk can do.

He's looked really bad this year. Worst season of his career so far. At some point you have wonder if he's on the decline already. Can he still play great? I think he can, but can he play at the legendary level he did in last season's playoffs? I doubt it.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4400652 said:
That's ridiculous. In that case you can say the Bulls have a major weakness because Rose is a natural two guard. Rose is shoot first as well and he often does shoot low percentages. Bottom line Westbrook is one of the top five point guards in the league so to say he's one of his team's weaknesses is ridiculous.

Rose averages 8 assists a game to Westbrook's 5.8, has a much higher shooting % and a higher overall efficiency rating. The Thunder actually outscore opponents more MORE when Westbrook is on the bench, while the Bulls have been doubled up this year without Rose on the floor and why he plays 40 minutes a night to Westbrook's 32. Also, Westbrook played the twpo in high school and college, Rose has played the point since he could walk.

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4400746 said:
Rose averages 8 assists a game to Westbrook's 5.8, has a much higher shooting % and a higher overall efficiency rating. The Thunder actually outscore opponents more MORE when Westbrook is on the bench, while the Bulls have been doubled up this year without Rose on the floor and why he plays 40 minutes a night to Westbrook's 32. Also, Westbrook played the twpo in high school and college, Rose has played the point since he could walk.

It's awfully early in the season I honestly doubt Westbrook's apg will remain at 5.8. Last year it was 8.2 I'm sure it'll be near 8 again. Westbrook is still learning to play the PG position, but he's getting better and will continue to do so.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4400655 said:
Do you honestly see Dirk playing like that again? I don't. Another thing all the games were close. The Thunder simply didn't close games out well due to inexperience that won't happen again this season.

Well, he did it a week later against the Heat again...so yeah, I can see it happening again.

And the Mavericks are still much, much more experienced than the Thunder. The gap didnt close because the Thunder went out int he second round and Dallas won a title. Another thing to remember is that Durant has never won anything, ever. He didnt win state in HS, didnt win a single NCAA tournament game in college and never been past the second round in the NBA...he has never been to even the smallest of mountain tops. Dirk and company just got back from Everest.

I forsee Durant spending much of his career like Dirk did, a great scorer who doesnt really bother with defense except every now and then. He'll play on great teams that win a lot of games and then lose in the playoffs. One day he'll start playing better defense, learn to close and win a title down the road.

One more thing: Carlisle danced circles around Scott Brooks in that series. While he was drawing up game deciding offensive possessions, Brooks was playing cheerleader, arguing with Westbrook and being ignored by Durant. Every time he made a late game substitution, Carlisle laughed and said "No no, because I'm going to do this...". He danced to his tune and then told his team to "believe" and play hard" in the televised huddles. Why is that going to change?

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4400752 said:
It's awfully early in the season I honestly doubt Westbrook's apg will remain at 5.8. Last year it was 8.2 I'm sure it'll be near 8 again. Westbrook is still learning to play the PG position, but he's getting better and will continue to do so.

Westbrook also averages nearly a turnover more per game than Rose. 4 turnovers a game is A LOT for an NBA point guard.

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4400763 said:
Well, he did it a week later against the Heat again...so yeah, I can see it happening again.

And the Mavericks are still much, much more experienced than the Thunder. The gap didnt close because the Thunder went out int he second round and Dallas won a title. Another thing to remember is that Durant has never won anything, ever. He didnt win state in HS, didnt win a single NCAA tournament game in college and never been past the second round in the NBA...he has never been to even the smallest of mountain tops. Dirk and company just got back from Everest.

I forsee Durant spending much of his career like Dirk did, a great scorer who doesnt really bother with defense except every now and then. He'll play on great teams that win a lot of games and then lose in the playoffs. One day he'll start playing better defense, learn to close and win a title down the road.

One more thing: Carlisle danced circles around Scott Brooks in that series. While he was drawing up game deciding offensive possessions, Brooks was playing cheerleader, arguing with Westbrook and being ignored by Durant. Every time he made a late game substitution, Carlisle laughed and said "No no, because I'm going to do this...". He danced to his tune and then told his team to "believe" and play hard" in the televised huddles. Why is that going to change?

I don't agree with you on Durant at all. I've been watching him this year and his defense is vast improved. He's not an elite defender, but he's a very good one. His defensive rating is the highest it's ever been. Again you bring up all this stuff about Brooks being out coached and Dirk outplaying Durant, and Westbrook being outplayed by Jason Kidd, all of which are true, but even with all that happening OKC still had a chance to win the series. Getting to the Western Conference Finals and experiencing it can do a lot for a team. OKC lost by an average of just 6.5 ppg. It was a very close 5 game series that OKC could've won if they had more experience. They'll have that experience this year.