2011-12 Dallas Mavericks thread.

Ren

Reaction score
Cuban's little all inn gamble on next years FA better work out, it's not going to look good blowing up a championship team unless they're some big payoff down the road.

This team is just not very good and it's kinda hard to accept when they lifted the trophy less then 12 months ago

gmoney112

Reaction score
Ren;4435098 said:
Cuban's little all inn gamble on next years FA better work out, it's not going to look good blowing up a championship team unless they're some big payoff down the road.

This team is just not very good and it's kinda hard to accept when they lifted the trophy less then 12 months ago

I haven't paid that much attention to the NBA this season but I am a Mavs fan. What's this FA gamble you're talking about?

I was really surprised Tyson, Caron, and Deshawn were all let go. Carlisle likes defense and they were some damn good defensive players. I didn't really like Deshawn but he stepped up big in the playoffs last year.

Ren

Reaction score
gmoney112;4435101 said:
I haven't paid that much attention to the NBA this season but I am a Mavs fan. What's this FA gamble you're talking about?

I was really surprised Tyson, Caron, and Deshawn were all let go. Carlisle likes defense and they were some damn good defensive players. I didn't really like Deshawn but he stepped up big in the playoffs last year.

Clearing all the cap space to make a move for Howard and Williams in the offseason

It's pretty obvious given that they didn't even attempt to resign any of their guys to more then 1 year deals

Reaction score
Ren;4435098 said:

Stop it. On paper they're a better team than last year. I always say when you're the defending champ you're the team to beat until someone dethrones you. Same is true of the Mavs.

Ren

Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4435159 said:
Stop it. On paper they're a better team than last year. I always say when you're the defending champ you're the team to beat until someone dethrones you. Same is true of the Mavs.

Take away Chandler, Barea, Bulter and Stevenson add a dinosaur in Carter and Odom who doesn't look like he even wants to play Basketball anymore and they're somehow better then last year? yeah ok :confused:

DFWJC

Reaction score
Ren;4435162 said:
Take away Chandler, Barea, Bulter and Stevenson add a dinosaur in Carter and Odom who doesn't look like he even wants to play Basketball anymore and they're somehow better then last year? yeah ok :confused:
I don't see them as better either.

Carter is very good though if they can limit his minutes. And West was helping out a lot before his injury. They miss his minutes right now and perimeter defense. I take Carter and West over Barea and Stevenson...by far. But Barea did get on that huge offensive roll in the playoffs, whcih countered his obvious defensive liabilites.

Brandon Wright was a nice bench add too.

The problem is they were hoping for much more from Odom.

Butler was not a part of the championship run and everyone knew he was gone due to cost and the postion he plays...I liked him though.

The main loss was Chandler. They offered the huge (20mil) 1 year deal but I understand why he opted for the longer deal with the Knicks that paid much less per year. Chandler, for some reason, was wanting to leave anyway.

The Mavs were unlucky when they signed Heywood for a big deal before Chandler became available. But recall that other than last year, Tyson had not been healthy for long stretches of time. In any case, that money could have help tie him up here for a longer term.

Don't panic yet. They've sucked for two games but they had won 7 of 9 before that.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
DFWJC;4435340 said:
Don't panic yet. They've sucked for two games but they had won 7 of 9 before that.
Yup. I'm not a Mavs fan anymore but I still watch most of their games, and you can't forget how well they were playing just a couple of weeks ago. If all those older vets don't get too worn down by this compressed schedule, they should be *very* tough to beat come playoff time.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Ren;4435162 said:
Exactly

Reaction score
Ren;4435162 said:

Butler - Didn't even play or contribute in the title run.

Barea - Played great, but he was demanding too much. West is better anyway.

Stevenson - Again very overrated. He's a decent shooter, but very inconsistent shooter.

Chandler - Played great for the Mavs, but with Mahimi's emergence he's been adequately replaced.

The talent for Dallas is there its just a matter of chemistry and gelling.

juck

Reaction score
Team def misses JJB dribble penetration. Dallas is cruising and wants to go into the playoffs hot. However they keep cruising they may be in trouble. Cubes has went all out sacrificing this year for DWILL and D12. I hope we at least get one.

Goku

Benched
Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4435480 said:
Butler - Didn't even play or contribute in the title run.

Barea - Played great, but he was demanding too much. West is better anyway.

Stevenson - Again very overrated. He's a decent shooter, but very inconsistent shooter.

Chandler - Played great for the Mavs, but with Mahimi's emergence he's been adequately replaced.

The talent for Dallas is there its just a matter of chemistry and gelling.
lol you're kidding me right?

west has not played better than barea. barea was a monster in the second half of last season and in the playoffs. west is an adequate player, solid perimeter defender, but barea was a huge offensive spark off the bench and he allowed terry to play the 2 spot instead of running point.

stevenson was never brought here for his offense. he is a very good defender that brought some toughness to the team last year.

comparing Chandler to Mahimi is just :lmao2:. Chandler was avg 10 pts/10 rebs a game last year and was an intimidating defensive presence in the middle that altered many shots throughout a game. plus he was a big time leader in the locker room, Dirk gives him praise all the time for this.

also give me butler/peja/brewer over wright/yi/cardinal.

Reaction score
Goku;4435786 said:
lol you're kidding me right?

west has not played better than barea. barea was a monster in the second half of last season and in the playoffs. west is an adequate player, solid perimeter defender, but barea was a huge offensive spark off the bench and he allowed terry to play the 2 spot instead of running point.

stevenson was never brought here for his offense. he is a very good defender that brought some toughness to the team last year.

comparing Chandler to Mahimi is just :lmao2:. Chandler was avg 10 pts/10 rebs a game last year and was an intimidating defensive presence in the middle that altered many shots throughout a game. plus he was a big time leader in the locker room, Dirk gives him praise all the time for this.

also give me butler/peja/brewer over wright/yi/cardinal.

West is a much better player than Barea. Unlike Barea he's not a defensive liability and he's every bit the offensive player. Stevenson is a decent defender as I said, but Marion's great defense this season has all but replaced Stevenson. I didn't say Mahimi was better than Chandler just that's he's an adequate replacement. Butler didn't even play in last season's playoffs, Brewer didn't do anything, and Peja had a few good games, but he was clearly done which is why he retired.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I don't see how anyone could agrue that (at least for this year) the Mavs don't miss Chandler. The defense is more highly rated this year though.

But give me Carter and West over Barea and Stevenson .

Carter is playing very good all around ball right now and is a major mismatch on opposing 2 guards...and even small forwards.

As for Barea and West.
I think we all know that Barea was a defensive liabilty and that West is a defensive stud. So HUGE edge to West on D.

What about offense?
Well, they are very close on paper:

Barea...9.1 ppg...3.8 apg...43% (34% 3pt)...83% ft....2=assit/turnover
West...8.3 ppg...3.4apg...43% (33% 3pt)...91% ft...2=assist/turnover

MC KAos

Reaction score
just losing chandler makes them drastically weaker defensively, a big reason why they won the title last year. they have basically reverted to the 08-10 mavs

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Ren;4435098 said:

To be fair, just about every single NBA insider and GM fully expects Deron Williams to be in Dallas next year. Barring Dwight Howard going to the Nets it's all but a forgone conclusion it seems, and a Deron Williams + Dirk combo will provide Howard the best chance to win among all the teams capable of giving him a max contract. Cuban may look dumb now but Dallas is set to be one of only three teams with enough space to sign two max contracts this summer.

DFWJC

Reaction score
MC KAos;4435810 said:
just losing chandler makes them drastically weaker defensively, a big reason why they won the title last year. they have basically reverted to the 08-10 mavs
Now-now.
The Mavs are in the top 3-4 in the NBA in defense right now. Better on paper than last year, actually.
...though I'd prefer Chandler in there.

They have stunk it up the last two games overall, but they are FAR better defensively than 08-10.

Reaction score
MC KAos;4435810 said:

They're better defensively this season then they were last season.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4435819 said:
To be fair, just about every single NBA insider and GM fully expects Deron Williams to be in Dallas next year. Barring Dwight Howard going to the Nets it's all but a forgone conclusion it seems, and a Deron Williams + Dirk combo will provide Howard the best chance to win among all the teams capable of giving him a max contract. Cuban may look dumb now but Dallas is set to be one of only three teams with enough space to sign two max contracts this summer.

You also future-proof your team against Dirk's retirement by signing Deron and Dwight. It'll be easy to get guys to want to come to play there.

With that roster, too, you can have incredible length with Williams, Odom, Nowitzki, and Howard all on the floor. They'll look like the 08 (?) Magic, but with Dirk significantly better than Turkoglu and Williams significantly better than Nelson. Odom/Lewis is a push, but I'd take Odom over Lewis because of his underneath play.

Mavs get Dwight and Williams and I'm jumpin' on the bandwagon :) I follow good teams, anyway, so it would be easy to root for Dwight and Deron Williams in that case.