2011-12 Dallas Mavericks thread.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4435840 said:
They're better defensively this season then they were last season.

In points and FG percentage yes, but they are giving up nearly three more layups/dunks per game and have fewer blocks per game. Also, people forget that Chandler was worth an easy 6-10 points a game on gimmee lobs from Kidd, which was HUGE in those close playoff games.

The biggest loss however was his toughness and attitude. For years Dallas was soft, whereas Chandler was always one wrong look away from going off on somebody.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
casmith07;4435850 said:
You also future-proof your team against Dirk's retirement by signing Deron and Dwight. It'll be easy to get guys to want to come to play there.

With that roster, too, you can have incredible length with Williams, Odom, Nowitzki, and Howard all on the floor. They'll look like the 08 (?) Magic, but with Dirk significantly better than Turkoglu and Williams significantly better than Nelson. Odom/Lewis is a push, but I'd take Odom over Lewis because of his underneath play.

Mavs get Dwight and Williams and I'm jumpin' on the bandwagon :) I follow good teams, anyway, so it would be easy to root for Dwight and Deron Williams in that case.

I doubt Odom will ever contribute much in Dallas, he has turned out to be a complete basket case. However, a starting five of Williams, Carter (who we need to resign IMO to a veteren deal), Marion, Dirk and Howard would make me happier than a Japanese school girl. A fantastic combination of aged wisdom (Carter, Marion, Dirk), youth (Williams and Howard), athleticism (all but Dirk), shooting ability (Williams, Carter, Dirk) and defense (Marion, Howard). If not Carter than West would also work at SG, but we should easily be able to sign both guys to relatively small deals that will fit in around the big max deals.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4435853 said:
The biggest loss however was his toughness and attitude. For years Dallas was soft, whereas Chandler was always one wrong look away from going off on somebody.
I miss that snarl.:laugh2:

Brandon Wright has been a nice addition. I just wish he was 2 inches taller.
He blocks more shots than both Tyson and Haywood and rebounds better than both on a per minute basis. He's very skilled, but I bet he's only 6'9". Mahinmi is getting better--certainly better than a year ago.

The 3 centers this year combine for almost the exact same points and rebounds as last year but with about twice as many blocks.
I still miss Tyson though..

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
DFWJC;4435862 said:
I miss that snarl.:laugh2:

Brandon Wright has been a nice addition. I just wish he was 2 inches taller.
He blocks more shots than both Tyson and Haywood and reboounds better than both on a per minute basis. He's very skilled, but I bet he's only 6'9".

I truly believe that if Wright had a nice little jumper he would be an all-star caliber player. I wish I could combine him and Juwan Howard in his prime.

juck

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4435860 said:
I doubt Odom will ever contribute much in Dallas, he has turned out to be a complete basket case. However, a starting five of Williams, Carter (who we need to resign IMO to a veteren deal), Marion, Dirk and Howard would make me happier than a Japanese school girl. A fantastic combination of aged wisdom (Carter, Marion, Dirk), youth (Williams and Howard), athleticism (all but Dirk), shooting ability (Williams, Carter, Dirk) and defense (Marion, Howard). If not Carter than West would also work at SG, but we should easily be able to sign both guys to relatively small deals that will fit in around the big max deals.
If we get 3D and IF. That probably means Marion is gone. We would have to trade him and amnesty Haywood. However Odom could come back if he wants too and his family situation resolves. Also I guarentee Kidd would sign for vet Min and JET may as well. Who knows what will happen. However if Nets trade for D12 we are cooked.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4435860 said:

Welcome to Lamar Odom :) Basket case in the regular season, 15/10 guy in the post season.

Whatever it is, he finds his focus when its playoff time.

Reaction score
casmith07;4436117 said:
Welcome to Lamar Odom :) Basket case in the regular season, 15/10 guy in the post season.

Whatever it is, he finds his focus when its playoff time.

This ain't 2010 bro Odom is not that kinda player anymore. If Dallas is counting on LO to average 15 & 10 then they're in a world of trouble.

Ren

Reaction score
juck;4436092 said:
If we get 3D and IF. That probably means Marion is gone. We would have to trade him and amnesty Haywood. However Odom could come back if he wants too and his family situation resolves. Also I guarentee Kidd would sign for vet Min and JET may as well. Who knows what will happen. However if Nets trade for D12 we are cooked.

Cuban is going to look like an idiot who traded his championship team away for a lottery ticket.

juck

Reaction score
Howard stated today if the Magic can get Nash in a trade before the deadline he would not use his early termination option. Essentially he would stay next season and not be a FA until 2013. I actually would not hate this. That means we would 99% get Deron.Then snag D12 the following year. Because Nash is great still but not enough for them to get a ring. The cHeat are clearly winning the East.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Ren;4436421 said:
Cuban is going to look like an idiot who traded his championship team away for a lottery ticket.
You make it sound so simple Ren.
Is there a chance that you just don't like Cuban personally?

From what I've heard, Cuban, especially Nelson, and also Carlisle were all in on this decision. It was a painfully long, thought-out process measuring the present and the future. They have full backup plans if they end up with neither DWill or the big guy. And they do think they can win this year...or at least have almost as good of odds as any other Western team. They may be wrong, but thiat is what they think.

This is no willy-nilly operation. There are lot of smart people in that organization. The goal ALWAYS is to win. They lose money every year even though they have sold out every game for about 10 straight years now.

Have you run the cap numbers going forward on what it would have taken to bring that whole team back?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I doubt it's any foregone conclusion that Deron comes to Dallas. The Nets can pay him (and Howard) more than Dallas can. It's always a huge gamble to say you're going to be the one team to land a prized FA, no matter what sport it is. Things like "coming home" seem to become less important and the money becomes more important the closer you get to actually signing the contract.

Goku

Benched
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4436904 said:
I doubt it's any foregone conclusion that Deron comes to Dallas. The Nets can pay him (and Howard) more than Dallas can. It's always a huge gamble to say you're going to be the one team to land a prized FA, no matter what sport it is. Things like "coming home" seem to become less important and the money becomes more important the closer you get to actually signing the contract.

deron is coming to dallas. he's made it known thru back channels he wants to raise his family in Dallas. and despite the nets being able to pay him more, the tax difference/cost of living in Texas will even things out.

Reaction score

This. There's certainly a legit chance Deron winds up in Dallas, but it's far from guaranteed. The good thing for Dallas is if they strike out on Deron they can still get Nash.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I'm very sure Dallas is not assuming anything here. No possible way.

In fact, most NBA players, including Deron and his family just recently, say it is a royal pain playing in or near your home town.
Far too many demands and distractions.

Having said that, Deron does like the Dallas in general and I'm told he even has a home here, so his case may be a bit different.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Heisenberg;4437277 said:

Love Rick Carlisle's no nonsense approach.
You give the effort and you play; he wants his players all in and always, always playing as a team.
He has some of that old Celtic philosophy in him.

Lamar needs to turn it on soon. He was supposed to become a big part of what they're doing this season. They not only need his skills but Dirk needs him to take minutes badly.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I saw an article asking which contract was the worst in the offseason; Caron Butler and Tyson Chandler were two of the three worst sited.
Butler got 8 mil per year and Chandler got nearly 60 mil for 4 years. Even little JJ managed to grab about 5-6 mil per year for a few years (good for him).

juck

Reaction score
Wow,Mavs just dont care this year. The Hornets??? OMG. O well. Maybe Odom will come back with his head out his butt and DWEST will be back soon. They are really reeling right now.Its almost like the players cant wait til the season is over cause they know Cubes is going after the prize in the offseason. Still no excuse for lack of effort.

Goku

Benched
Reaction score
the players know they will not be back next year so maybe they are not as emotionally invested in what happens with the team and organization. that's the risk cuban took by bringing in these all of these short term leases....lack of chemistry. plus it's human nature for a championship team in any sport to be lax in the following season. it takes great leadership and grit for championship teams to repeat. not really sure this team has it. it didn't help that dirk came in out of shape. as great as he is, he is the leader and he kind of set the tone for everybody else by not being prepared for the season. i could easily see odumb feeling it's acceptable to miss all this time if Dirk was allowed to as well.