2011-12 Dallas Mavericks thread.

MC KAos

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4551233 said:
Did anyone see the Dirk postgame PC? He was asked about Rick coming back next year and talked about him in the past tense. Could he not be re-signed? Does Dirk not like him?

Seemed very strange.

english is his second language, maybe he didnt realize what he was doing. if the mavs get rid of carlisle, they are stupid, he is one of the top 5 or 6 coaches in the league! and im sure Cowboys&Lakers fan would gladly take him

Reaction score
MC KAos;4551303 said:
english is his second language, maybe he didnt realize what he was doing. if the mavs get rid of carlisle, they are stupid, he is one of the top 5 or 6 coaches in the league! and im sure Cowboys&Lakers fan would gladly take him

Hell yes. Mavs would be nuts to not bring Jim back.

juck

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4551233 said:
Did anyone see the Dirk postgame PC? He was asked about Rick coming back next year and talked about him in the past tense. Could he not be re-signed? Does Dirk not like him?

Seemed very strange.
No Carlisle isnt going anywhere. Dirk said we need more playmakers. I think thats obvious after the patchwork job Cuban did this year.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
juck;4551157 said:
So who is ur team? U never say anything about who ur team is.

I don't really root for any particular team. As a kid I grew up liking the Bulls because of Michael Jordan, but other than that I generally just root for good basketball. Right now I'm pulling for the Lakers and the Thunder in the West, along with the Spurs, and in the East I'm pulling for Indiana (I know) and the Heat. Explanations are as follows:

OKC - great team basketball, young, high energy team, fun to watch, etc. My only gripe is Russell Westbrook.

Lakers - Gotta root for Kobe...the dude is the best on the planet. Technician on the court, lethal shooter, and fierce competitor. I have a ton of respect for his game. I also want to see him get 6 titles.

Spurs - many of the same reasons as the Thunder...Tim Duncan is incredible, Tony Parker is also amazing, great team basketball, great coach. Hard not to like them.

Indiana - underdog syndrome...big Danny Granger fan though I think he needs to make his teammates better. Really like what Roy Hibbert has done with his game...appears to have finally grown into his body and has put in the work to be better than "good enough."

Heat - against the grain, devil's advocate...want them to win in spite of all the haters, also a big fan of LeBron's game. He's the best athlete in the NBA...less of a technician like Kobe and more of a brute, battering-ram type guy. Love to watch him play when he's on. Also like his attitude adjustment as he's gotten older and wiser. I think all of the talk of him coming up small is overblown...people forget how he carried the Cavs to The Finals against the Spurs and literally was the only person on that roster that looked like they wanted to play basketball in that sweep.

So there you have it. I also root for my hometown Wizards, because they're my hometown team, and I was rooting for the Mavs last year up until they met the Heat in the Finals, because I wanted the haters to be silenced. Didn't root for the Mavs this year because I didn't like what Cuban did to the roster. He basically sold out the season on a prayer of getting Dwight and Deron Williams, and then Dwight opted in...bad move for Cuban and the Mavs, but maybe they'll recover. Really likable roster of guys from Dirk to Terry, Vince Carter, Shawn Marion, etc.

Reaction score
I'll say it once again if the Mavericks don't land Deron Williams then Mavs fans should be calling for Cuban's head. This is why I laughed when people called that clown the best owner in basketball. He isn't even the best in his own state. What kind of idiot owner throws away a chance at a repeat knowing full well his franchise player is running out of time? Did you see Jerry Buss throw away the season after the Lakers won it in 2009? No he brought in Artest and resigned Odom. He made the team even better and as a result they repeated.

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4551381 said:
I'll say it once again if the Mavericks don't land Deron Williams then Mavs fans should be calling for Cuban's head. This is why I laughed when people called that clown the best owner in basketball. He isn't even the best in his own state. What kind of idiot owner throws away a chance at a repeat knowing full well his franchise player is running out of time? Did you see Jerry Buss throw away the season after the Lakers won it in 2009? No he brought in Artest and resigned Odom. He made the team even better and as a result they repeated.

The problem is Dallas isn't the premier basketball destination they pretend to be. Who is the biggest FA they have been able to sign? They are lucky to have a player as loyal as Dirk is, other superstars would have bailed the first time their contract was up. The three Texas teams are in the same boat, you need to find your superstar in the draft and build a solid team around them.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score

Cuban didn't really have anything to do with the Mavs roster this year -- you can't just sign guys off of teams without making a trade.

He tried to add some length to the roster similar to what Tyson Chandler brought after he left by trading for Odom (a good trade all things considered, since he didn't give up picks or players) but it didn't work out so well for them.

The Mavs' age is catching up to them and they need to get younger. They got hot at the right time last year and had a pretty good influx of young talent like with DeShawn Stevenson (who somehow learned how to shoot 3's after he was traded from Washington).

They wanted to keep Chandler, but the Knicks paid the big bucks. The only reason Odom was retained in Los Angeles is because Odom probably would've accepted payment in candy with how much he loves LA. I still think the Artest move was questionable. It worked out in the short term, but they need to get some better pieces there around Kobe now if they're to win consistently in the coming seasons. The trade for Sessions was clutch -- without Sessions the Lakers get bounced in round 2 this year...maybe even round 1 depending on seeding.

It's alright, though, you've got a lot to learn about basketball.

For how NOT to run a franchise, see the Orlando Magic. The way they blew up the roster after they BARELY lost to LA in the Finals was absurd.

juck

Reaction score
casmith07;4551356 said:
I don't really root for any particular team. As a kid I grew up liking the Bulls because of Michael Jordan, but other than that I generally just root for good basketball. Right now I'm pulling for the Lakers and the Thunder in the West, along with the Spurs, and in the East I'm pulling for Indiana (I know) and the Heat. Explanations are as follows:

OKC - great team basketball, young, high energy team, fun to watch, etc. My only gripe is Russell Westbrook.

Lakers - Gotta root for Kobe...the dude is the best on the planet. Technician on the court, lethal shooter, and fierce competitor. I have a ton of respect for his game. I also want to see him get 6 titles.

Spurs - many of the same reasons as the Thunder...Tim Duncan is incredible, Tony Parker is also amazing, great team basketball, great coach. Hard not to like them.

Indiana - underdog syndrome...big Danny Granger fan though I think he needs to make his teammates better. Really like what Roy Hibbert has done with his game...appears to have finally grown into his body and has put in the work to be better than "good enough."

Heat - against the grain, devil's advocate...want them to win in spite of all the haters, also a big fan of LeBron's game. He's the best athlete in the NBA...less of a technician like Kobe and more of a brute, battering-ram type guy. Love to watch him play when he's on. Also like his attitude adjustment as he's gotten older and wiser. I think all of the talk of him coming up small is overblown...people forget how he carried the Cavs to The Finals against the Spurs and literally was the only person on that roster that looked like they wanted to play basketball in that sweep.

So there you have it. I also root for my hometown Wizards, because they're my hometown team, and I was rooting for the Mavs last year up until they met the Heat in the Finals, because I wanted the haters to be silenced. Didn't root for the Mavs this year because I didn't like what Cuban did to the roster. He basically sold out the season on a prayer of getting Dwight and Deron Williams, and then Dwight opted in...bad move for Cuban and the Mavs, but maybe they'll recover. Really likable roster of guys from Dirk to Terry, Vince Carter, Shawn Marion, etc.

So u have many teams. Only reason I have been on the Heats jock is Im making a nice chunk of change off them and if they win it all a really nice chunk. I cant stomach them but they are the clear favorites IMO. I also account for star power and the refs. Which mean everything.I really could see Lakers vs Heat. Thats what most casual NBA fans want.Which is in the millions.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score

I don't think he's the best owner in basketball, however I do think he's the most devoted. Nobody has a more personal interest in seeing their team win and nobody gets more upset and more motivated when they don't.

And the issue here is this: Had Dallas resigned Barea and Chandler and Butler, they might have repeated this year (though their run was magical last year and I'm not sure everything would have fallen again for them). However, resigning those players would have strapped Dallas for the future. Dirk has only a few years left, Terry was always gonna leave after this year in all likelyhood and after that we'd have a bunch of either older or above average players signed to huge deals with no chance of real improvement for years.

What Cuban did is hedge one year against 10. If he can sign Williams and then some key role players or somehow swing a deal for Howard, he sets the team up for another decade of success.

juck

Reaction score
I miss Tyson. But at that much money and his injury history its not worth it. The Mavs probably wouldnt have repeated cause they werent going to beat the Heat this year again. I like what Cuban is doin he is injecting youth and building for the future. Sometime u must sacrifice a year.Also its not his fault that Odom was awful. If Odom was as good as last year we would still be playing.

juck

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4551672 said:
I don't think he's the best owner in basketball, however I do think he's the most devoted. Nobody has a more personal interest in seeing their team win and nobody gets more upset and more motivated when they don't.

And the issue here is this: Had Dallas resigned Barea and Chandler and Butler, they might have repeated this year (though their run was magical last year and I'm not sure everything would have fallen again for them). However, resigning those players would have strapped Dallas for the future. Dirk has only a few years left, Terry was always gonna leave after this year in all likelyhood and after that we'd have a bunch of either older or above average players signed to huge deals with no chance of real improvement for years.

What Cuban did is hedge one year against 10. If he can sign Williams and then some key role players or somehow swing a deal for Howard, he sets the team up for another decade of success.

Thats his plan too. I think DWILL and DWIGHT may end up in Brooklyn. That would suck but theres a lot of very good FA this year.I love Dragic.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4551695 said:
You don't play for the future you play for titles.

Jerry Jones took that approach in the late 90s and some would say we still havent recovered.

MC KAos

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4551700 said:
Jerry Jones took that approach in the late 90s and some would say we still havent recovered.

Trading a bunch of pics for Joey Galloway wasn't playing for titles, it was just stupid!

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
MC KAos;4551725 said:
Trading a bunch of pics for Joey Galloway wasn't playing for titles, it was just stupid!

Jerry resigned aging players to huge contracts, drafted for special teams and backups and made "now" signings and trades from 1995-2001. He strapped our franchise financially and talent wise in order to win just one more title with the triplets.

MC KAos

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4551741 said:
Jerry resigned aging players to huge contracts, drafted for special teams and backups and made "now" signings and trades from 1995-2001. He strapped our franchise financially and talent wise in order to win just one more title with the triplets.

That's true with Jerry, but Stevenson was 30, barrea 27 and chandler just turned 29, so those guys aren't exactly aging, I just don't see the comparison between the two situations

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4551741 said:

Horrible comparison. The players Dallas let go weren't old they players they kept were.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
juck;4551669 said:
So u have many teams. Only reason I have been on the Heats jock is Im making a nice chunk of change off them and if they win it all a really nice chunk. I cant stomach them but they are the clear favorites IMO. I also account for star power and the refs. Which mean everything.I really could see Lakers vs Heat. Thats what most casual NBA fans want.Which is in the millions.

I don't want to see Lakers vs. Heat, though I want both teams to win another title for various reasons.

I want to see Thunder-Heat...that would be a great series.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
juck;4551677 said:
Thats his plan too. I think DWILL and DWIGHT may end up in Brooklyn. That would suck but theres a lot of very good FA this year.I love Dragic.

If they can keep Lopez and add Dwight, that would make that team pretty compelling.

I also am a Dragic fan. I was trying to tell the kids in here that the Lakers should have added him long before their point guard problems started (before the Fisher trade). He's like Steve Nash Lite.

Reaction score
casmith07;4551994 said:
If they can keep Lopez and add Dwight, that would make that team pretty compelling.

I also am a Dragic fan. I was trying to tell the kids in here that the Lakers should have added him long before their point guard problems started (before the Fisher trade). He's like Steve Nash Lite.

Or we could just sign the real Steve Nash. ;)