2011-12 Dallas Mavericks thread.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4547825 said:
OKC, San Antonio, and the Lakers will have something to say about that. Grizzlies will as well and as much as I hate to say it the Clips will improve as well. Getting Williams doesn't guarantee anything for Dallas because the West will once again be tough next season.

Perhaps, but Williams and Dirk would be the best pick and roll/pick and pop combo in the game because both guys can get to the rim and consistently knock down anything inside of 25 feet. In close games late, it would be an absolute nightmare to stop.

MC KAos

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4547944 said:
Perhaps, but Williams and Dirk would be the best pick and roll/pick and pop combo in the game because both guys can get to the rim and consistently knock down anything inside of 25 feet. In close games late, it would be an absolute nightmare to stop.

They are both average defenders at best, so it goes both ways. There is a reason the nets sucked, even with D will. When CP3 was with the hornets at least they competed, and that's in the western conference!

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
MC KAos;4547955 said:
They are both average defenders at best, so it goes both ways. There is a reason the nets sucked, even with D will. When CP3 was with the hornets at least they competed, and that's in the western conference!

Williams is no worse a defender than Kidd (in his advanced age) and MUCH better than Terry, the two players Dallas has been running the pick and pop/pick and roll with along with Dirk for years.

Chris Paul is a very overrated defensive player. He gets a lot of steals but opposing PGs traditionally average something like 4 PPG over their season averages against him.

MC KAos

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4547989 said:
Williams is no worse a defender than Kidd (in his advanced age) and MUCH better than Terry, the two players Dallas has been running the pick and pop/pick and roll with along with Dirk for years.

Chris Paul is a very overrated defensive player. He gets a lot of steals but opposing PGs traditionally average something like 4 PPG over their season averages against him.

I guess my secondary point, in which I compared DWill with CP3, was leadership. DWill has been a part of 2 terrible nets teams, and the reason for the greatest coach in franchise history, a coaching legend, resigning! He is a great talent, sure, but he seems to be very mentally weak! CP3 played hard and made his team better! DWill did no such thing for either the jazz after boozed left or the nets.

My basic point is that, just because the mavs might get him, doesn't mean they will all of the sudden be better than the rest of the conference, at best they will just join the cluster of great teams at the top, but not surpass them by a mile like some of you guys seem to think!

Zordon

Reaction score
we better amnesty haywood this offseason. watching him attempt to play basketball makes me want to hurl.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Yeah, personally, I'd take CP3 over Williams every time. Williams is good, but Paul is an amazing player.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4547908 said:
That won't work because Smith and Dirk play the same position.

Tim Duncan and David Robinson played the same position.

Gasol and Bynum, pretty much.

juck

Reaction score
Time for this awful year to end. Screw the lockout. Cuban needs to go all out this summer to appease us fans and his team. I trust in him.

juck

Reaction score
OriginalNameGuy;4548900 said:
Shame on Mark Cuban for gutting a championship team.
You gotta do it though,Youth movement is needed.

Zordon

Reaction score
juck;4548936 said:
You gotta do it though,Youth movement is needed.
I agree with this, but if he was going to do it he should have committed completely. You can't on the one hand let barea and chandler go but then also trade away yet another 1st round pick for lamar odom. we've traded so many draft picks over the last few years it has left us a very old team with very few young promising players. we need to get some young athletic players in the draft but the organization doesn't seem to value those picks.

juck

Reaction score
Zordon;4548941 said:
I agree with this, but if he was going to do it he should have committed completely. You can't on the one hand let barea and chandler go but then also trade away yet another 1st round pick for lamar odom. we've traded so many draft picks over the last few years it has left us a very old team with very few young promising players. we need to get some young athletic players in the draft but the organization doesn't seem to value those picks.
The pick was top 20 protected and we are drafting 17th.

MegaMagick

Reaction score
OriginalNameGuy;4548900 said:
Shame on Mark Cuban for gutting a championship team.

Yeah shame on Cuban for thinking about the future of the team and not signing TChandler to a MAX contract and overpaying JJB and Stevenson which would end up devastating us in the long term.

We had little chance of repeating with last year's team, Cuban blew it up and rolled the dice with some 1yr contracts and it failed. Oh well, bringing in Deron Williams and a new cast of characters will heal the pain.

You can't win the title every year and Cuban realized that.

juck

Reaction score
MegaMagick;4549047 said:
Yeah shame on Cuban for thinking about the future of the team and not signing TChandler to a MAX contract and overpaying JJB and Stevenson which would end up devastating us in the long term.

We had little chance of repeating with last year's team, Cuban blew it up and rolled the dice with some 1yr contracts and it failed. Oh well, bringing in Deron Williams and a new cast of characters will heal the pain.

Stop making sense.

Reaction score
MegaMagick;4549047 said:

You talk like Deron going to Dallas is a foregone conclusion. :lmao:

Last report I read he was leaning towards staying with the Nets.

Reaction score
casmith07;4548768 said:
Tim Duncan and David Robinson played the same position.

Gasol and Bynum, pretty much.

That's because those guys can play two positions. Smith is really a tweener. Too small as a PF and too slow as a SF.

MC KAos

Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4549634 said:

even if he goes to the mavs it doesnt automatically make the mavs serious title contenders, that guy has been a part of some horrible teams, he isnt magic johnson.

Reaction score
MC KAos;4549638 said:
even if he goes to the mavs it doesnt automatically make the mavs serious title contenders, that guy has been a part of some horrible teams, he isnt magic johnson.

They'd be at best the 5th best team in the West.

Thunder still better.

Spurs still better.

Lakers still better unless we lose Sessions which is doubtful and don't replace him.

Grizz are better maybe even the Clippers.

Also by signing Williams they're most likely gonna have an entire new roster. Haywood will most likely be amnested, Marion will have to be traded, and they won't have enough money to resign guys like Terry or West. They're probably gonna be Deron, Dirk, and a bunch of scrubs.

juck

Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4549634 said:

That was written by a nets reporter. Im sure DWILL agent is gonna posture. However if we dont get him I am completely happy with Gragic at PG and Spencer Hawes or Dalembert or Eric Gordon or Josh or Gerald, Theres so many FA this year.