2012-2013 European soccer thread.

daschoo

Slanje Va
Reaction score
joseephuss;4801623 said:
At least they get to try again at home in two weeks. Plus they are still in good shape within their group.

absolutely ****ing incredible!

nanananananananana tony watt tony watt tony tony watt

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
daschoo;4830462 said:

you gonna wear your Celtic gear into the Rangers' store in Glasgow tomorrow?

UKCowboysFan

Reaction score
daschoo;4830462 said:

Fantastic result for the Bhoys.

Just goes to show why Football is such an unpredictable game, Barcelona had something like 84% of possession & 25 shots a goal (although only 8 on target) and still lost.

Also highly amusing that Celtic have a great chance of progressing & Moneybags Man City are all but out.

daschoo

Slanje Va
Reaction score
just leaving for the pub for some beers and believe it or not a meal before heading up to the stadium.
COME ON YOU BHOYS IN GREEN
[YOUTUBE]CkHncozTwGo[/YOUTUBE]

joseephuss

Reaction score
daschoo;4879564 said:
just leaving for the pub for some beers and believe it or not a meal before heading up to the stadium.
COME ON YOU BHOYS IN GREEN
[YOUTUBE]CkHncozTwGo[/YOUTUBE]

Barca is just going to tank it against Benfica to keep Celtic out of the knock out round. :D

joseephuss

Reaction score
I thought they would wait to do this until after some team overpays for Neymar in the January transfer window to gauge the market value. Good job by Barca getting it done now.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sport...i-barcelona-contract-20121218,0,6059061.story

Lionel Messi agrees to stay with Barcelona through June 2018

Lionel Messi will score at least 540 more goals and be named world soccer player of the year seven more times before his time with Barcelona comes to an end.

Well, that's what will happen if he sticks to this year's record pace of 90 goals (and counting) and continues his streak of three -- undoubtedly soon to be an unprecedented four -- straight player-of-the year awards while playing out his newly extended contract with the Spanish powerhouse.

Messi, 25, agreed to a new contract with Barcelona on Tuesday that will lasts until June 30, 2018, the club said in a statement. His previous contract was due to expire on June 30, 2016.

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score
This guy is quickly turning into one of my favorite players.

Paul Pogba
[youtube]46ospnAM0XU[/youtube]

Oh, and my other new favorite player.

Mamadou Sakho.

[youtube]WbpOwELIxYg[/youtube]

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score
joseephuss;4907233 said:
I thought they would wait to do this until after some team overpays for Neymar in the January transfer window to gauge the market value. Good job by Barca getting it done now.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sport...i-barcelona-contract-20121218,0,6059061.story

Lionel Messi agrees to stay with Barcelona through June 2018

Lionel Messi will score at least 540 more goals and be named world soccer player of the year seven more times before his time with Barcelona comes to an end.

Well, that's what will happen if he sticks to this year's record pace of 90 goals (and counting) and continues his streak of three -- undoubtedly soon to be an unprecedented four -- straight player-of-the year awards while playing out his newly extended contract with the Spanish powerhouse.

Messi, 25, agreed to a new contract with Barcelona on Tuesday that will lasts until June 30, 2018, the club said in a statement. His previous contract was due to expire on June 30, 2016.

I believe he will go down as the best player to ever play the game. He should never wear another uniform.

Legend.

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
RastaRocket;4907623 said:
I believe he will go down as the best player to ever play the game. He should never wear another uniform.

Legend.

Cruyff and Pele are way ahead of Messi. It's not even close.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Arch Stanton;4908371 said:
Cruyff and Pele are way ahead of Messi. It's not even close.

Agree with Pele. Not only was he good, but he also played a very long career. Messi isn't even close in number of games played. Maybe when he approaches the number of matches played and continues to produce as he has, then he will be at the same level.

Cruyff? I don't agree. Maybe he is better than Messi, but it is close. Messi will easily surpass Cruyff's achievements in the next few years. Cruyff scored 61 goals in 5 seasons with Barca. Messi had more than that for Barca just last season.

Arch Stanton

Reaction score
joseephuss;4908514 said:
Agree with Pele. Not only was he good, but he also played a very long career. Messi isn't even close in number of games played. Maybe when he approaches the number of matches played and continues to produce as he has, then he will be at the same level.

Cruyff? I don't agree. Maybe he is better than Messi, but it is close. Messi will easily surpass Cruyff's achievements in the next few years. Cruyff scored 61 goals in 5 seasons with Barca. Messi had more than that for Barca just last season.

Cruyff is an all round footballer, not reliant on one good foot ala Maradonna and Messi. Cruyff is the closest footballer there has been to Pele. Seriously, it isn't close.

Arch Stanton

Reaction score
daschoo;4908411 said:
Would include Maradonna as well.

Maradonna is more Messi. One good foot. Messi just isn't a crackhead as far as I know. :)

joseephuss

Reaction score
Arch Stanton;4908667 said:
Cruyff is an all round footballer, not reliant on one good foot ala Maradonna and Messi. Cruyff is the closest footballer there has been to Pele. Seriously, it isn't close.

Seriously, it is close. Even with his one footed limitations Messi is dominant.
Messi is already ranked 4th in scoring for his country(31 goals for Argentinia) and will end up #1 by the time his career is over. Cruyff is ranked 6th in scoring(33 goals for the Netherlands) for his homeland and will continue to drop down that list. By the time Messi retires he will score far more goals than Cruyff.

UKCowboysFan

Reaction score
It's pointless trying to compare players from different eras, the game has changed so much.

When Pele & Cruyff played the tackling was much more fierce than it is now. Heck you can hardly make any kind of tackle nowadays without it being called a foul. It's much, much easier for a skillful player to thrive today.

For me, I just enjoy watching the best players play the game and don't worry about all the comparisons. After all, you can bet that there will have been people in the 60's telling us how Pele wasn't as good as Di Stefano & Puskas.

I guess it's like saying comparing QB's & receivers from today's pass happy NFL with those from 20-30 years ago. Some of the hits that happened back then that were deemed just part of the game would get players fined & possibly banned in today's game.

daschoo

Slanje Va
Reaction score
Bring on the Juve!
Hard draw but at least we avoided Munchen and Dortmund. We'll be underdogs but Juve won't fancy coming to Glasgow.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Celtic had a good run. They aren't going to Italy in the second leg and making up this big hole they put themselves in.