2012 London Olympics thread *Spoilers*

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Watching the Spain/France basketball match and some Spanish lady accidentally plashed her undies while cheering for a Marc Gasol 3-pointer :eek:

Good game going on though.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
JonJon;4653151 said:
Watching the Spain/France basketball match and some Spanish lady accidentally plashed her undies while cheering for a Marc Gasol 3-pointer :eek:

Good game going on though.
I was watching the U.S. Men's Volleyball match, but I'm about to transition to that game now.

US Men lost and it wasn't even close. :(

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;4653160 said:
I was watching the U.S. Men's Volleyball match, but I'm about to transition to that game now.

US Men lost and it wasn't even close. :(

I wanted to watch both but the basketball game seemed like the better watch. Spain just won. Things got testy at the end. Batum of France does his best Ron Artest impersonation and "accidentally" (yeah right) punches Navarro in the closing seconds of the game.

ah00y2

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
JonJon;4653227 said:
I wanted to watch both but the basketball game seemed like the better watch. Spain just won. Things got testy at the end. Batum of France does his best Ron Artest impersonation and "accidentally" (yeah right) punches Navarro in the closing seconds of the game.

ah00y2

Wow a cod shot :eek:

Phrozen Phil

Reaction score
I watched the semi finals of the men's 110 m hurdles and saw Liu Xiang's fall and subsequent early exit from the Olympics. Two others wiped out as well, but he did something remarkable. He was obviously injured and couldn't put any weight on the foot, but after he initially left the track, he returned, hopped the length of the race, stopping to kiss the final hurdle and crossed the finish line.

As this was happening, the announcer was talking about what happened in 2008 in Beijing, when Xiang incurred a similar injury. What impressed me most about last night's race was the reaction of the other hurdlers. Several of them waited until he had made it to the finish line and then helped him off to the side. One raised his hand in a victory gesture and in acknowledgement of his effort. It was apparent that his dissapointment was deep and he had been expected to contend for a medal, but he still managed to fight through the pain and complete the race. That kind of response to adversity is inspirational.

Edit: I note that si.com has a story on this race.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Phrozen Phil;4653237 said:
I watched the semi finals of the men's 110 m hurdles and saw Liu Xiang's fall and subsequent early exit from the Olympics. Two others wiped out as well, but he did something remarkable. He was obviously injured and couldn't put any weight on the foot, but after he initially left the track, he returned, hopped the length of the race, stopping to kiss the final hurdle and crossed the finish line.

As this was happening, the announcer was talking about what happened in 2008 in Beijing, when Xiang incurred a similar injury. What impressed me most about last night's race was the reaction of the other hurdlers. Several of them waited until he had made it to the finish line and then helped him off to the side. One raised his hand in a victory gesture and in acknowledgement of his effort. It was apparent that his dissapointment was deep and he had been expected to contend for a medal, but he still managed to fight through the pain and complete the race. That kind of response to adversity is inspirational.

I saw that, too. That kinda thing is what makes the Olympics special.

Phoenix

Reaction score
Phrozen Phil;4653237 said:

That is awesome...thanks for alerting me to this...here is the story link from si.com

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20.../Liu-Xiang/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t11_a2

Liu-Xiang-1.jpg

In truth, after giving an odd grin just before the gun cracked, out of the blocks Liu looked hardly perfect. Running in Lane 4 and clearly lacking lift, Liu struck the first hurdle flat with his left heel; he tumbled to the track and grabbed his right Achilles, already taped for support. After sitting for a few seconds, then banging his head once on the track, the 29-year old Liu stood and, using only his left foot, hopped off the track and into the nearest stadium tunnel.

His day, and perhaps Olympic career, looked as if it were ready to end on a miserable note. But then something remarkable happened: Liu changed his mind. Halfway down the tunnel he stopped, thought a moment and, still on one foot, turned 180-degrees back toward the track; Liu came hopping up the tunnel and back into view. With each hop, the cheering grew.

"He was still determined to go the finish line: That's true Olympic spirit," Feng said. "He showed that athletes are not just about winning, but about showing that spirit to the world."

Liu then hopped the entire length of the 110-meter race -- and some 250 meters in all -- veering into the middle to kiss the final Olympic hurdle, the one he hadn't crossed in eight years. Hungarian hurdler Balazs Baji, who had been running next to Liu in Lane 3, lifted Liu's arm as if to declare him champion.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
women's wrestling is decent to watch, although I would prefer if the women were better looking like in the Ukrainian jello wrestling I used to watch on tv

joseephuss

Reaction score
JonJon;4653227 said:

ah00y2

What the heck? That Argentine player punched Carmelo Anthony in the groin the other day and now this. Both should be banned by FIBA from any more competitions.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
joseephuss;4653491 said:
What the heck? That Argentine player punched Carmelo Anthony in the groin the other day and now this. Both should be banned by FIBA from any more competitions.

That is a bit much, maybe suspend a game or two.

Apparently he was mad at the other guy flopping all game so he did it intentionally.

As an aside, USA is back on top in total medals 81-77 but is two behind China in gold 36-34.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4653848 said:
That is a bit much, maybe suspend a game or two.

Apparently he was mad at the other guy flopping all game so he did it intentionally.

As an aside, USA is back on top in total medals 81-77 but is two behind China in gold 36-34.

Is that counting the medals for women volleyball? USvsUS so it's a gold/silver either way.

Just curious.

crazytown41

Reaction score
Lolo Jones is such a joke. Crying on the Today show after the NY times ripped her and called her the Anna K. of track and field.

Give me a freakin break. Romo gets 50x's more **** than what she gets. Grow a backbone and cry me a freakin river.

How bout holding off on all those endorsements you have and focus on winning a medal some time.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
crazytown41;4654264 said:
Lolo Jones is such a joke. Crying on the Today show after the NY times ripped her and called her the Anna K. of track and field.

Give me a freakin break. Romo gets 50x's more **** than what she gets. Grow a backbone and cry me a freakin river.

How bout holding off on all those endorsements you have and focus on winning a medal some time.

Lolo just needs to meet a man.

Her fellow track athletes are jealous of her looks and she is jealous they are better runners.

She should consider being referred to as Anna as a compliment, Anna is arguably the hottest athlete in the last 25 years.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Wow, watching some chicks dance around with dodgeballs, how is this an Olympic event? Think it is called rhythmic dancing or something.

Whats next, a bubble blowing contest or hot-dog eating? They really need to trim down the events.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
dexternjack;4655016 said:
Wow, watching some chicks dance around with dodgeballs, how is this an Olympic event? Think it is called rhythmic dancing or something.

Whats next, a bubble blowing contest or hot-dog eating? They really need to trim down the events.

That Handball sport is a weird one. It's seems like it's just a semicircle of whichever team posses the ball, standing outside that scoring line, chucking the ball at the goal.

It reminds me of elementry school PE soccer, when 1 guy would get bored, pick-up the ball, start running with it, and it'd just become a melee game of "smear the _____"

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Bolt arguably the greatest sprinter of all time. Calls himself a legend and then lit into Carl Lewis, awesome.

Lewis implied the Jamaicans must be cheating. Of course Carl forgets he had drug fails covered up too (but as he says, that is the past and he doesn't discuss the past and anyway, everyone did it so who cares).

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
dexternjack;4655016 said:

It's sad that NBC chooses to show that and Sync swimming on it's main network. But puts the Gold Medal match and the USA men's and women's basketball teams on a Network that limited people get?

I know that not everyone cares about women's basketball but during the Olympics I wonder what the majority would rather watch. The USA women's basketball team competing for a Gold Medal or Sync swimming and rhythmic dancing?
:laugh2: